10 things I have learned as a 49 year old after a week of owning an e-mtb

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Background- only ever owned a £500 hybrid in my life with rim block brakes. Cycling experience limited to Dad cycling and a gentle MTB track in Bristol.

1. Don’t snatch the brakes in an emergency as you go over the handlebars!
Teenager not concentrating heading swerved straight at me. (No harm done). Bloody hell them disc brakes are trick!!!
2. When you stop (anywhere) in the park you get a crowd around you looking at the bike with awe. Like you have just driven up in a Lambo!! E-mtbs are as rare as rocking horse shit in Calne UK. ??
3. That overweight heart attacks staring death ? in the face or at least a stroke (with every step) shout out that you’re cheating makes you realise how dumb some people are! (Twice already??)
4. That I now know how postman feel about dogs. Jeezus they can be random!
5. That you can literally go anywhere, on road-off road.
6. That it’s best to approach a hill by selecting the gear you want to do it in first . ..not the power. (Gives me a better workout)
7. That when forums talk about your helpful independent bike dealer. That I haven’t found them any more than ‘frosty’. That the guys at Halfords are really friendly.
8. That 25km is fast enough.
9. That enough stinging nettle stings in one ride can leave you awake all night itching.
10. That new lights, as bright as 1000 suns or luminions or something like that can bring on migraines.

That’s 250km in this week! Not bad eh.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
11. When following a riding buddy down a trail, keep a gap: When they stack it you can avoid them, and when they twang a branch or brambles you don't catch it full-on in the face on the rebound sweep.

12. When on tight gnarly trails full of nettles and brambles, move your hands from the bar ends to the centre of the bars either side of the stem to avoid shredding your mitts in a bloodbath of pain.

(Both of the above learnt the hard way through bitter experience.)

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Background- only ever owned a £500 hybrid in my life with rim block brakes. Cycling experience limited to Dad cycling and a gentle MTB track in Bristol.

1. Don’t snatch the brakes in an emergency as you go over the handlebars!
Teenager not concentrating heading swerved straight at me. (No harm done). Bloody hell them disc brakes are trick!!!
2. When you stop (anywhere) in the park you get a crowd around you looking at the bike with awe. Like you have just driven up in a Lambo!! E-mtbs are as rare as rocking horse shit in Calne UK. ??
3. That overweight heart attacks staring death ? in the face or at least a stroke (with every step) shout out that you’re cheating makes you realise how dumb some people are! (Twice already??)
4. That I now know how postman feel about dogs. Jeezus they can be random!
5. That you can literally go anywhere, on road-off road.
6. That it’s best to approach a hill by selecting the gear you want to do it in first . ..not the power. (Gives me a better workout)
7. That when forums talk about your helpful independent bike dealer. That I haven’t found them any more than ‘frosty’. That the guys at Halfords are really friendly.
8. That 25km is fast enough.
9. That enough stinging nettle stings in one ride can leave you awake all night itching.
10. That new lights, as bright as 1000 suns or luminions or something like that can bring on migraines.

That’s 250km in this week! Not bad eh.
Nice post mate ! Similar experience here. Especially the people that gather when you stop . Because of that I'm going to insure it . They are far to attractive .

Zippy

Aug 5, 2019
Wiltshire
There are a couple of us over Marlborough way, but yeah, I haven't seen any eMTBs while I've been out. And yes, those nettles seem to be pretty vicious right now!

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Nice post mate ! Similar experience here. Especially the people that gather when you stop . Because of that I'm going to insure it . They are far to attractive .

Mines now specifically listed on our house contents insurance policy (with a £30 top-up fee to cover all risks just in case), but I don't let it out of my sight.

Everyone that has paid my bike any attention so far have been really nice and pleasant, people are genuinely curious and interested about EMTB, oddly enough its more women chatting me up over the bike so far. It can't be just my rugged good looks surely ??

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
That overweight heart attacks staring death ? in the face or at least a stroke (with every step) shout out that you’re cheating makes you realise how dumb some people are! (Twice already??)

I remember somebody shouted that to me once I think it was around 2005 on a friends EV Global Lee Iacocca no less. Not since. I didn't know what to say so I agreed and said it was more fun than my Gary Fisher. He had no idea what I was talking about.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Mostly middle aged blokes eyeing up my eeb and wanting to talk to me. Which, okay, it's nice and all, but not the same...

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
11. When following a riding buddy down a trail, keep a gap: When they stack it you can avoid them, and when they twang a branch or brambles you don't catch it full-on in the face on the rebound sweep.

12. When on tight gnarly trails full of nettles and brambles, move your hands from the bar ends to the centre of the bars either side of the stem to avoid shredding your mitts in a bloodbath of pain.

(Both of the above learnt the hard way through bitter experience.)
11b. When following an acoustic/clockwork riding buddy while approaching a steep climb, increase the gap to HUGE lest you run them over.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
There are a couple of us over Marlborough way, but yeah, I haven't seen any eMTBs while I've been out. And yes, those nettles seem to be pretty vicious right now!

I'm up on Marlborough downs regularly and have seen a few hybrid style e-bikes but can't remember seeing an emtb...

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I'm up on Marlborough downs regularly and have seen a few hybrid style e-bikes but can't remember seeing an emtb...

I’m going to have a ride through Avebury from Cherhill and up the Ridgeway to the Castle and drop down for the honey pot cafe if it’s open before return as my ride on Sunday morning early. It’s lovely out that way.

Zippy

Aug 5, 2019
Wiltshire
I’m going to have a ride through Avebury from Cherhill and up the Ridgeway to the Castle and drop down for the honey pot cafe if it’s open before return as my ride on Sunday morning early. It’s lovely out that way.
Closed all day Sunday by the looks of things...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

It certainly is, there's so many different ways to go, and the odd pub along the way :p

Have you ridden up the steps to Cherhill monument? (from the A4) We did that a few weeks ago, it was quite a challenge, especially considering my limited skills :giggle:

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
15. Ebike is a viable mode of transport. Locally quicker than the car and much cheaper. Helps justify the cost a bit too. Many little chores and missions can be accomplished pleasurably.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
It certainly is, there's so many different ways to go, and the odd pub along the way :p

Have you ridden up the steps to Cherhill monument? (from the A4) We did that a few weeks ago, it was quite a challenge, especially considering my limited skills :giggle:
That sounds interesting , I'll look into that! Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles