Other +10.000 km

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
After more than 10.000 km my 1.3 motor sounded a bit tired.
Replaced the belt for the new version - even though the old belt actually still looked ok.
But the motor still sounded tired...

Would hate to be stuck in the alps without power, so I decided to look for a new motor.
Finally found one on ebay - made in June 2021.

I have now mounted the new motor - and the Levo rides like a new one - and is even more quite than the old when new.
My girlfriend ride a new bike with the gen4 Bosch - This newly designed motor sounds like a tractor compared to the Brose.

Just love the Levo - It takes me everywhere and makes me smile during every ride ?

IMG_2734.JPEG

IMG_2735.JPEG

IMG_2737.PNG

148A81E6-220C-4505-B913-4A7AA5D271C3[211061].JPG

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
You got 10K out of the first belt and it was still going?! Wow... that's amazing.
When I had my Levo the belt went in 18 months, I can't remember the KM but it would have been a fraction of 10K I'm sure.
Just goes to show, you really can get a good one (y)

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
You got 10K out of the first belt and it was still going?! Wow... that's amazing.
When I had my Levo the belt went in 18 months, I can't remember the KM but it would have been a fraction of 10K I'm sure.
Just goes to show, you really can get a good one (y)

Wasn’t it the 2.1 motors that got infamous for breaking down though? That said, Specialized admitted their own custom firmware until the summer of 2020, making the motor give microsecond spikes of insane power much of the time, contributed to it. And my LBS could get a new motor from local stock in a day when mine showed an error (still worked) that summer, but because Specialized returned all the 2.1 motors at the time to Brose and they wanted everybody to get the new 2021 Brose 2.1 as of then to be sure, I had to wait about 5 days I think. It had a reinforced still Kevlar band but I’m not sure it was strictly necessary but more a safeguard developed at the same time as new firmware. I have to say I have respect for Specialized (apart from parts of the early firmware departement) and quite liked how the motors felt. Their app was pioneer too. I have since jumped ship though.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
…..Just goes to show, you really can get a good one (y)

I think, it is more the question how you treat your bike and the motor.
If you ride like a motorcycle always on turbo, it's something different than if you use the bike as a sports bike.
I have now on my S-Mag 2019 already over 6,000 km on it and he runs like the first day.
(knock on wood… ?)

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
If you ride like a motorcycle always on turbo, it's something different than if you use the bike as a sports bike.
I have now on my S-Mag 2019 already over 6,000 km on it and he runs like the first day.
(knock on wood… ?)
Yep. 2.1 motor unit, 9,100 km before a barely susceptible noise. No loss of power but swapped out

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
(knock on wood… ?)
Make sense if you ride in ECO all the time it's going to be proportionally less wear as it is less assistance. My 2018 I rode in Trail unless I needed to go further which would have been once a week at most, maybe once a fortnight (out of 3 rides per week). I always ride on dirt climbing/descending, no flat ground.

I still reckon the 18 months mine died after was far too short to be honest. And the prospect of it happening again out of warranty was one of a few reasons to move on to a new bike. When mine went it was like "slipping" - felt as if the chain was slipping on the cogs, I actually thought that's what was happening at first. So maybe the force driven into the pedals is part of it. Better if it could just take the abuse, and run the power levels it's capable of. Here's hoping my Bosch does :) we'll see... maybe it won't, maybe new motors is just part of the ebike caper.

Last edited:

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Wow. I'm on board with wanting know HOW you rode this thing to get that kind of mileage out of the original motor!? I'm seeing most go before 3000 miles; typically the belt, sometimes the sprag bearing.

I think I'm in the middle as far as how hard it ride and I do like a good turbo run now and again but don't think I'm overly hard or have any major water issues living in the dry and dusty American west.

DO let us know how you'd characterize your riding style and what mode you typically ride in. Maybe also your weight as that would factor in a bit too I think.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I still think the Gen 1.2 2018-2019 have been the best Levo's, mine is still going strong
I think all Levos are top-notch ?
But Specialized and Brose may have done to little effort i the RD with the Mag S.
The 1.3 alloy i still the most quiet motor out there.
Sometimes the other eMTB riders are asking me if my motor is turned on :cool:

The 2021 version of the 1.3 is giving a even more natural feeling of the power.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Wow. I'm on board with wanting know HOW you rode this thing to get that kind of mileage out of the original motor!? I'm seeing most go before 3000 miles; typically the belt, sometimes the sprag bearing.

I think I'm in the middle as far as how hard it ride and I do like a good turbo run now and again but don't think I'm overly hard or have any major water issues living in the dry and dusty American west.

DO let us know how you'd characterize your riding style and what mode you typically ride in. Maybe also your weight as that would factor in a bit too I think.

Unfortunately I haven't found the holy grail...
Weight: Day 1: 98 kg - Today: 84 kg - Thanks Levo ?
The +10.000 km motor was derestricted form day one...
I often go full turbo with 100% on all settings.
I tend to go for 35-50km rides.
In my summer holidays I often go for longer rides.
I have done the Trans Alps - 263 miles of riding in 5 days and 36,505 feets of climbing - not in Turbo...but with the Trailwatts range extender
I have smashed down the bikeparks in Verbier and Winterberg ?

Maybe my only give away is that I always try to keep the cadence high and use the gears a lot more than my fellow riders.
I also try to take a little bit of the pressure at the pedals while shifting.
Lastly I always wash the bike by hand - Not after every ride though...

Last edited:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
(knock on wood… ?)
Look, that’s rather old hat.
Its generally agreed that we just don’t know what factors are reliably leading to a good experience nor what’s leading to a bad one
with the Brose on a Specialized.
Frustrating, yes, but we just don’t know. If you read on, I’d like you to know I’m no apologist for Specialized, nor an advocate of treating your e-bike badly.
You must have got your evidence from forums and personal (plus friends too) experience and perhaps an lbs or two selling Levo’s.
But that’s where those who slag off the Brose get their info too — and, yes, perhaps, some, many even, ride in a way that could cause damage.
So, an intuitive opinion then, not a ‘known’ fact.
Its just an unreliable way of making such assertions, although it is a good way of venting a viewpoint (just as I’m doing).
You haven’t got your info from Specialized: they’ve said nothing on your specific assertions.
And you don’t know how many motors have failed and how many haven’t. Nor how many have been replaced.
And you don’t know how many Specialized bikes with Brose have been sold.
There’s zero information about how often or to what extent the factors you set out are applied by riders to motors that have failed. Nor to motors that haven’t. Also, you haven’t listed all the factors that could cause a failure through stress on the motor, perhaps because some of those aren’t very pc.
So you can’t do the true calculation.
You don't know what you assert is true. And another person cant know enough to assert the opposite.
I certainly don’t know either…

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Replaced the belt for the new version - even though the old belt actually still looked ok.

Would hate to be stuck in the alps without power, so I decided to look for a new motor.

I have now mounted the new motor - and the Levo rides like a new one - and is even more quite than the old when new.
My girlfriend ride a new bike with the gen4 Bosch - This newly designed motor sounds like a tractor compared to the Brose.

Just love the Levo - It takes me everywhere and makes me smile during every ride ?

View attachment 72052

View attachment 72053

View attachment 72054
View attachment 72086
This Levo is really gorgeous, I find it better looking than the new one: more finesse in the lines and the whole setup matches perfectly !

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
This Levo is really gorgeous, I find it better looking than the new one: more finesse in the lines and the whole setup matches perfectly !
Thank You Chrysaor ?

I'm looking at new bikes everyday...but still loves the lines of my old Levo - I think this model was one of the first real eMTBs.
Actually it only weighs 22,5 kg - many new bikes (none Levo) weigh more and the prices have skyrocketed.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

View attachment 72052

View attachment 72053

View attachment 72054
View attachment 72086
High Rock Ruti

I just bring mine in for new motor every few hundred miles, when F@#%$-ing breaks.

Warm Regards Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles