1.8inch fork steerer…. Anyway of getting back to 1.5inch ? [Edit - Yes!]

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
Ordered a new bike and annoyingly its got a 1.8 headtube and steerer for the domain forks. Love my factory 38’s which are in 1.5 form and want to put them on. Anyone had any experience ?
Cheers

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
Sorted / an acros 1.8 crown race which sizes down to 1.5 . Thanks Gary for pointing me in the right direction. Happy days - anyone want a 1.8 2022 Rockshox Domain fork ☺?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Did a test run, got a bike that uses that 1.8 to 1.5 crown race and fit perfect on a Fox 38 1.5 steerer to a 1.8 headtube

DAE21C4E-1A05-40DA-9A9F-DC39EA16EB99.jpeg

A612B545-AF98-48B1-BBD1-FCE2CC012680.jpeg

Airwizard

Mar 31, 2022
Kirkland
I used the above link and bought the crown race from Acros. It was $50 USD to arrive at my place in the USA. When I put my 1.8 bearing from my 2022 Trek Rail 9.8 XT onto it, I found the diameter inside the crown race was too small and the external diameter of the race would only extend midway on the bearing. I didn't feel comfortable installing a crown race that did not fit snugly on the internal dimension nor did it give the bearing a full platform to sit on, so it is in my toolbox for now. . .

I called FSA USA and they have a crown race that is a 1.8" and reduces to 1.5" (part number#H6164). They didn't have it on their website, but the sales guy was nice to find me one and sell it. I just got it and the bearing from my Trek Rail fits snugly on it and I feel much more confident installing it on my bike. I also found a link of the same part in the UK at FSA Crown Race: SUPTAP Ebike THOK (1.8 - 1.5", H6164)

Soakinoak

Jun 20, 2022
Cherry Hill
I used the above link and bought the crown race from Acros. It was $50 USD to arrive at my place in the USA. When I put my 1.8 bearing from my 2022 Trek Rail 9.8 XT onto it, I found the diameter inside the crown race was too small and the external diameter of the race would only extend midway on the bearing. I didn't feel comfortable installing a crown race that did not fit snugly on the internal dimension nor did it give the bearing a full platform to sit on, so it is in my toolbox for now. . .

I called FSA USA and they have a crown race that is a 1.8" and reduces to 1.5" (part number#H6164). They didn't have it on their website, but the sales guy was nice to find me one and sell it. I just got it and the bearing from my Trek Rail fits snugly on it and I feel much more confident installing it on my bike. I also found a link of the same part in the UK at FSA Crown Race: SUPTAP Ebike THOK (1.8 - 1.5", H6164)
Hello Everyone! I went through the same ordeal. Had a $10 crown race shipped from Acros for $35 from Germany. Didn't care as long as it fits. They used a box instead of a padded envelope....but that's all spilled milk under the bridge now. Also purchased the H6164 from FSA. Just as you mentioned, the Acros crown race fits perfectly on the bearing, however only supports the inner ring of the entire bearing. The inside diameter seems a tad tight (it's 40mm tho). While the FSA crown race supports the entire width of the bearing, it doesn't seem to settle properly on the inside (the inside of the bearing with outside of the crown race. I hope this makes sense) . Sort of wobbles a bit. After comparing all 3 together, I found that the original crown race for the ZEB also wobbles, similar like the FSA. As it is a split ring, I noticed that it "clicks" into place when compressed while torquing down the top cap. I did not cut the steerer tube on the FOX yet, so I don't know hot it will behave. After working at a bike shop for a couple of years, not the Acros, nor the FSA H6164 feels like the perfect match. Am I reading too much into this issue? What's the overall experience? Please advise. Cheers!

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
Hello Everyone! I went through the same ordeal. Had a $10 crown race shipped from Acros for $35 from Germany. Didn't care as long as it fits. They used a box instead of a padded envelope....but that's all spilled milk under the bridge now. Also purchased the H6164 from FSA. Just as you mentioned, the Acros crown race fits perfectly on the bearing, however only supports the inner ring of the entire bearing. The inside diameter seems a tad tight (it's 40mm tho). While the FSA crown race supports the entire width of the bearing, it doesn't seem to settle properly on the inside (the inside of the bearing with outside of the crown race. I hope this makes sense) . Sort of wobbles a bit. After comparing all 3 together, I found that the original crown race for the ZEB also wobbles, similar like the FSA. As it is a split ring, I noticed that it "clicks" into place when compressed while torquing down the top cap. I did not cut the steerer tube on the FOX yet, so I don't know hot it will behave. After working at a bike shop for a couple of years, not the Acros, nor the FSA H6164 feels like the perfect match. Am I reading too much into this issue? What's the overall experience? Please advise. Cheers!

Might be worth asking @Rob Rides EMTB as im
Pretty sure he used the Acros on his new Rail / Fox 38’s with no problem……👍

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
Ordered a new bike and annoyingly its got a 1.8 headtube and steerer for the domain forks. Love my factory 38’s which are in 1.5 form and want to put them on. Anyone had any experience ?
Cheers
Which bike did you order? I think I have the same issue...I have ordered a new Nukeproof Megawatt Comp (NO elite or factory versions available anywhere in the UK :( )
I want to put my Zeb Ultimates on the Megawatt but they have a 1.5' steerer and I think the Forks on the bike will be 1.8"!

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
I ordered a Scott Patron. 18. - 1.5 steerer with Domain forks but I’ve since ordered a Canyon so the spacer is up for grabs. Un used. It’s for the Acros headset that is on the Scott, so would have worked perfectly as same headset.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Hey folks

I'm wanting to go the other way - switching from a 1.5" taper to 1.8". I think the current headset bottom parts are EC56/40, any way of moving up to a 1.8" taper or am I on a hiding to nowhere...?

Cheers

Airwizard

Mar 31, 2022
Kirkland
Sorry for the delayed response and hope you were able to get this sorted. I experienced the same thing you described regarding the internal width and decided to forge ahead based on past experience with similar parts. I had to use a crown race tool with a little grease to install the FSA crown on my Fox e38 fork since there is more material due to it being reduced to a 1.5 dia. Currently I have I have approx.. 200 miles of hard riding on it in the Pacific Northwest on black trails and have not had a single creak. I just pulled the fork off to check the bearing the it is still smooth and doesn't have damage on it or the crown race. From what I can tell it fit well when torqued into place.

Thanks alasdairfraser for putting the Trek part number in this thread (The part number is W5269810)

I just checked it out at my local Trek dealer and it looks like the FSA part. I suspect they are the same part since some major bike companies use FSA for OEM components.

JohnyL

Jun 10, 2020
Manchester
Hi Soakinoak,
I’ve found the same issue with the H6164.
It doesn’t fit on the bearing properly. I’m informed by plenty it’s the right adapter. So I used a heavy duty clamp and tried to squeeze the beaing on to the race away from the bike between two wood blocks; It definitely doesn’t fit.
Can I ask what you did in the end? I have some very nice Zebs Ultimates to fit but not the adapter 😢.
Considering the Acros part
Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles