Sex Change

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Do I need to have a sex change (I'm currently a bloke) to buy the woman's version of the Spectral On 6.

I ask because they currently/allegedly have my size, in stealth, in stock but women specific. They don't have one in the men's range.

I have checked the spec and geometry but can find no differences, it just seems to be the turquoise colour that is women specific. Even the saddle seems to be the same, which I didn't expect.

Am I missing something?

Am

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
As long as you buy a matching coloured helmet you’ll be fine , oh and maybe shoes too ?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
OR you could contact Canyon and ask them what the actual differences are, instead of asking a forum to tell you what gender you should be LOL :D

Canyon CS is really good, from what I've experienced... at least in the USA offices. I was in between sizes for a Roadlite and they helped me sort out the correct sizing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You could always identify as a woman and go from there.

Joking apart, I have two items that were targeted at women.

One is a pair of waterproof hiking / trainer boots. The only women specific part about them is that they are a greyish shade of lilac. Well they were when they were new! I got them really cheap probably because they were large for a woman's boot.

The other is some summer weight full fingered biking gloves. They are a close fit that I like, no wrinkles. I don't know in what way they are women specific. They are grey and black. They too were greatly reduced, probably because they were a large size for a woman. But they fit me just fine. My hands are normally sized Men's Large, I have no idea what the equivalent in a women's glove is.

Because a woman-specific bike normally has a shorter top tube, then if a man has long legs for his body, but just happens to be the same height as a woman, then a woman's bike would fit him better. As long as it wasn't an outrageous colour or covered in glitter, why not?

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
I have checked the spec and geometry but can find no differences, it just seems to be the turquoise colour that is women specific. Even the saddle seems to be the same, which I didn't expect.

Am I missing something?

I’ve just done exactly this in the sale. The Geo is identical, but depending on which model you go for the spec is better on the Womens ON 7.0 than on the men’s. The saddle is the women specific but I will change the saddle for my preferred Specialized Ronim (probably, as the jury’s still out on it).

If you are gong for the ON 6.0 then it is about availability in your size and the saddle.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have always been comfortable with my feminine side. And I'm good with colours too! :love:

You wouldn't think that I was an engineer. At Uni, we had an Engineer's Song that we used to sing in the bar at every opportunity, just to piss off the Social Scientists. It is far too obscene to appear here!

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I have always been comfortable with my feminine side. And I'm good with colours too! :love:

You wouldn't think that I was an engineer. At Uni, we had an Engineer's Song that we used to sing in the bar at every opportunity, just to piss off the Social Scientists. It is far too obscene to appear here!

"An Engineer told me before he died....." was a good one to sing over a pint.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I knew putting the word 'sex' in the thread title would grab your attention, but you guys need to be careful. Transgendering is a very sensitive topic here in the UK at the moment. If the PC brigade become aware of some of your posts you could be getting a knock on your door very early one morning. And just because I'm used to being called "a lazy cheat who should buy the extra two wheels and get a full blown mobility scooter" doesn't mean you can't hurt my feelings over such a personal matter.

Thanks raine, have taken your advice.

FlyingKiwi

Jul 19, 2019
NZ
Geo/spec looks like your good to go...swap out the saddle, no worries....it’s when you start painting your nails to match the livery I gets a bit murky!

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
As Mentioned, I have already checked this out and the men’s and women’s are the same geo and sizing. The saddle and women’s specific colour is the only difference on the 6.0.

On the 7.0 the women’s bike gets Fox Performance Elite forks and DTSwiss wheels instead of Fox Performance and Alexrims wheels. Plus the men’s is a touch heavier. Women’s sizes only go to medium.

Presumably to compensate, the men’s 7.0 is now £150 less than the women’s, which is a change in pricing since the summer sale.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
As Mentioned, I have already checked this out and the men’s and women’s are the same geo and sizing. The saddle and women’s specific colour is the only difference on the 6.0.

On the 7.0 the women’s bike gets Fox Performance Elite forks and DTSwiss wheels instead of Fox Performance and Alexrims wheels. Plus the men’s is a touch heavier. Women’s sizes only go to medium.

Presumably to compensate, the men’s 7.0 is now £150 less than the women’s, which is a change in pricing since the summer sale.

I am really only after the frame and motor so the 6.0 should work for me. I intend to swap the Mavic wheels and hubs, Fox Performance suspension and Magura brakes from my Focus onto it and put the cheaper stuff from the Canyon onto my Focus to use it s a winter bike, if I get the motor sorted.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Looking at it the frames look different , the cross tube has a greater angle and the seat post is longer on the woman's unless I'm looking at the wrong bikes?

full_spectral-on-al-6_c1298.png

full_spectral-on-al-6-wmn_c1226.png

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Looking at it the frames look different , the cross tube has a greater angle and the seat post is longer on the woman's unless I'm looking at the wrong bikes?

I think that this is caused by the size of bike that they use in the picture being a size M for the men’s and size S for women’s. The geo and dimensions match size for size.

@ Peaky Rider - not sure if this helps, but the Canton site kept saying that I need an XS. I was unsure, plus I wanted the 29” front wheel, so I went for size S which seems to be just the right size. (The reach is still quite short). Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs; I suggest looking at the seat heights, (664-782mm) for size M (max of 755 for size S) to see if you are within the range for the M and then compare with the dimensions of your other bikes for the rest. IMO, I think the Spectral ON comes up small and with the 430mm chain-stays I wanted the slightly bigger bike to balance it a little. HTH?.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I must say I do like the turquoise......but I’ve always been in touch with my feminine side & the lower rail means you won’t catch your bollocks on it so easily.......ohhh skuse my French

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles