Just ordered my Decoy...3 weeks from delivery (so they say)

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I test rode one the other day at the So Cal showroom...damn fun bike. However, I am WAY new to ebikes and Di2. I have a couple of questions that I am sure the brain trust here can answer.

1. I want to run the color display to get more data, etc...I hear it is plug and play, is that true?
2. I also had a hard time with the shifter...it is a button type thing like the mode switch...I see Shimano makes several different ones...are they also plug and play?
3. I know YT is making a larger battery available in a few months, but until then are there range extenders available for this bike?
4. I see in the YT instructions that there is a "Light" wire in the downtube. I assume this is for a headlight...has anyone used this for a headlight...night rides are a guilty pleasure of mine and if I could power my light off the bike battery I'd be quite happy about it.

Thanks in advance...looking forward to getting this new toy and learning a crap ton about this new facet to my hobby.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
1. Yes
2. Don't know
3. Don't know
4 YT have a Lupine light coming out in the autumn for the Decoy,

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
if you use a supported Garmin device you can get more data via that way. No need for the colored display i.m.o.
Was watching vids about that last night. I have a supported garmin comp already, I'll do that and save a few $$$. Thx for confirming.

I still want to run the XT or XTR traditional looking shifters...I think they are plug and play...maybe a little programming...but for me the push button shifter just won't work.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Ordered my L pro race on July 7th, it's in the Los Angeles port, waiting for customs to clear. I should get it next week. Original date was August 7th.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Shifters are plug and play.
You can use Shimano's E-Tube Ride app with the black & white display to get all the data from the bike.
The thing I miss from the colour display is the power meter bar. It's the only thing I'd look at during a ride.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
So it looks like YT are pretty close to on time with their delivery estimates. I'm in Redondo Beach...we might need to do a LA area Decoy gathering.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
Shifters are plug and play.
You can use Shimano's E-Tube Ride app with the black & white display to get all the data from the bike.
The thing I miss from the colour display is the power meter bar. It's the only thing I'd look at during a ride.
Perfect...I really want the shifters more like mech ones...I have hand and wrist issues and the stock push button shifter was awkward and uncomfortable to use.

While I have never seen the color screen version in person...it was the power meter bar I was most interested in as well. Between the ride app (thx for that tip, did not know there was a ride app I assumed only one for tuning and changing settings) and my Garmin I'm sure I can get the data I need.

I am super stoked for my new bike to get here. We have lots of trails where I would never consider riding a non ebike...but the ebike open up so much more opportunities for exploration.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The bike is great, I’m sure you will love it.
I used the power meter quite a bit on my Focus as I’d have to nurse the battery to keep going as long as my buddies with bigger batteries. I guess it will not be an issue on the Decoy with it having a bigger battery.
I have one of the paddle shifters kicking about but it was for the left side of the bars so not much use to you with the dropper lever being there.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
So you should possibly get it next week as well. I called. Are you picking it up at the Mill?
Yeah I'm picking it up as I'm just down in San Diego. Good friend of mine lives by Irvine so
I figured I'd pick it up and go for a ride with him. I'll call on Monday and see if the date has
moved up at all.

Reactions: 06z

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
I ordered Pro Race large in May w/July 7th availability, it’s been delayed twice. Now it’s supposed to arrive (at YT) next week, was told Friday “it’s on the water.” Nothing about awaiting customs clearance. I’m getting pretty frustrated. I’ll be curious how this turns out for Armeniandave given his order date of July 3rd, vs 06z on July 7th, vs me in May.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
I ordered Pro Race large in May w/July 7th availability, it’s been delayed twice. Now it’s supposed to arrive (at YT) next week, was told Friday “it’s on the water.” Nothing about awaiting customs clearance. I’m getting pretty frustrated. I’ll be curious how this turns out for Armeniandave given his order date of July 3rd, vs 06z on July 7th, vs me in May.
They know how many bikes are in the shipment. My brother and I are both covered in this shipment. I'm sure you will be notified before all of us.

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
I just hope we all get our bikes pronto. I’m going nuts, but I’m glad for those of you who can pick them up at the Mill. That’s a wonderful opportunity to make sure everything checks out ok from the get-go (and not to mention dealing with warranty issues should they arise). Interestingly, the just released issue of e-mountainbike magazine was supposed to have a long term review of the Decoy and even they had delays getting the bike (and they’re in Germany). Anyone know which plant in Taiwan builds these things?

Reactions: 06z

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I would not have bought one if not for the Mill...if I was back in Colorado I would likely get a Commencal just for the warranty related issues. I realize that most issued will be with the motor and any Shimano dealer is SUPPOSED to deal with those...but I have heard of that taking a long time on bikes that shops don't sell.

I just looked and it says my order has not been processed yet...not sure what that means though. I did a Mill pickup and did the bank transfer as instructed by the guy at the Mill. I will pay there when it arrives. Hope it works smoothly.

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
I ordered a Jeffsy during the 4th of July sale, website said in stock and it took less than a week to have it in hand (love that bike, needed to upgrade my 2011 acoustic unit since US is largely hostile toward emtb’s). YT’s website still shows the Jeffsy order as “not processed yet” even though I’ve had it for a few weeks. From my vantage point YT has a lot of improving to do in terms of customer communication. If they just sent paid customers honest, accurate weekly status updates that would go a long way toward generating good will. And it would make life much better for their phone staff (but then, they may need fewer phone staff). I’ve only received status updates by calling, and I’ve talked to at least 4 different people. When the call involved a delay the person on the other end (two different people) said that was the worst part of the job. I agree, for both sides of that conversation.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Yeah, they should give the update via the reservation online. That would help alot I think. Whenever I speak to the people at YT, they are always nice and my 'problems' get solved quickly. I do believe they have issues with availability of a frame part, but last week they indicated to me that things started to roll again. So hopefully people start gettting their bike, because it is an awesome ride....well worth the wait for me!

mikecol

Mar 16, 2019
Treasure Island, FL USA
YT’s website still shows the Jeffsy order as “not processed yet” even though I’ve had it for a few weeks. From my vantage point YT has a lot of improving to do in terms of customer communication. If they just sent paid customers honest, accurate weekly status updates

I was the 1st to order the Pro Race in US and received mine about 6 weeks ago. Bike is perfect (after reversing chain). My Pro Race had several delays too....keep up the hope cuz the bike is worth it. I'm enjoying my Decoy every day even though temps are in the 90's in FL. Hope your bikes arrive soon!!

I had 3 orders to YT and have received them all, but still orders say "not processed yet". Their FAQs don't match at all what happens on a order. The site(s) needs a lot of work. They could start with the size chart, by doing the metric to english conversion correctly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles