So, 2019 Levo Comp on order via GCI

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all,
I have a Turbo Levo Comp set aside at my LBS and I'm buying via the Green Commute Initiative - the bike shop get 95% of the voucher value I believe so £4,750. I just need to e-sign the documents to release the voucher. I was happy with the Levo after a test ride and was even happy to pay the RRP (due to the LBS reputation) despite there being good discounts available on the same bike from other retailers. However, since then they have started chucking in a spare battery on full price bikes, not scheme bikes though ??. I can sort of understand why but presumably they've started doing that on the back of some top secret information regarding the 2020 bikes.

I still really want a Levo but to be honest, I don't feel like I'm getting a good deal anymore ?. Especially with the Whyte E150-S being available shortly for £250 less than the comp, with the 625Wh battery.

So...what would you do? I really don't want to mess the LBS around as they've been very good answering my emails etc but it's a bit disappointing not getting the same offers as someone buying direct, the extra battery would negate the only problem I had with the bike which was range anxiety.

I suppose I was really looking forward to my new bike and it's my own fault for buying at this time of year. I've just got a bit of anxiety about spending £5k.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Speak to your LBS, see if they can help another way.

& bear in mind there will always be a better deal somewhere else and a better bike around the corner.

ultimately life is short and summer is now. If a Levo's what you really want roll with it. when you look back in the future you'll be pleased with the bike and minor tweaks to the "deal" won't matter.

Jan 29, 2018
Nottingham
How about asking the LBS if they would let you cover the cost to them of the scheme (£250) and then them honor the free battery offer? That strikes me as fair.

You'll still be saving £1000s on the GCI, and even though there's lots of offers out there on levo's, hardly any of them can be used in conjunction with cycleschemes.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Some other forum member said they will attempt a dealer event today, so you will probably have a better idea of what's going on, and you can use this kind of argument to justify a nice discount. Understand me: who want to buy a 2019 model when in a few weeks 2020 models will be available, and perhaps soo to order?
So, you can argue on this, and ask for a utlimate effort on their side, perhaps...

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Quick update: I went to my "small" LBS this saturday and told him nicely if it would be possible to discuss the price, especially because I will probably buy 2 bikes (one for a friend, but in order to have a better discount, I will do like there's only 1 buyer).

We discuss for... 20 sec. Prices, 2020 models, higher battery capacity etc... I had some solid cash in my pocket, my debit card etc...

Too long, you won't read:

He said to me in a very polite manner "fuck you".
So instead of buying for 13000€, I buy nothing. Even not 8% discount for 13000€...

I'm hesitating to go in a Specialized Concept Store, where they can do (perhaps) more interesting offers.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not the way to build a relationship with a lbs methinks! The lbs has to make a margin and will happily pass on incentives and discounts they get from the supplier but are not about to dent their own margin when the bike you want is in heavy demand. Less popular bike suppliers have to fight for market share. For a standard mtb....especially if you are a competant bike mechanic....go find a deal....for an emtb, pick a good lbs and build a relationship. Unless you are into mega rides 500 w/h battery is fine.....if you want more buy a spare battery.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Too long, you won't read:

He said to me in a very polite manner "fuck you".
So instead of buying for 13000€, I buy nothing. Even not 8% discount for 13000€...

I'm hesitating to go in a Specialized Concept Store, where they can do (perhaps) more interesting offers.

business is business. it's not personal, "sorry I can't do that" is not "fuck you".

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
business is business. it's not personal, "sorry I can't do that" is not "fuck you".

Of course, I perfectly understand. But why some bigger LBS (1h30 from home, in a great city) is capable of more, without discussing? The only reason I went to my LBS is because it's the nearest. Not the best. The nearest.

But if I have to do 300 km only for buying my bike, I will do, but I can't imagine coming back to my LBS and ask me to give me assistance if I haven't buy the bike in his shop.

So, what I'm supposed to do?

EDIT: I don't want to hijack @Hitby thread. I'm just disappointed cause I was really thinking I will buy the bike. End of my story.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France

He told me: "I'm not doing any discount" even before I told him I would like to buy 2 bikes. Then, he told me: "buy 1or 20 bikes won't do any difference for me, and neither for you".

Typical French arrogance.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don't want to hijack Hitby thread.

I'm sure he doesn't mind .. you're bumping his thread back up so he might get more good ideas .. though I do like @AnthonyDouglas 's theory .. so fingers crossed that can work out for him.

Typical French arrogance.

You upset me with your comment ! just because you expect to eat 10 snails and only pay for 9 because they move slowly and are easy to hunt ! :) OR eat the frogs legs and get a discount ! Do you know how long it takes for a frog to grow it's legs back before they can be harvested again ! Or you want to drink the bulls milk in a half litre because it makes you faster - it's not nice milking a bull ! (well, maybe for the bull)

I bought a bike and then lots of accessories in a romantic idea of "supporting my local bike shop". Unfortunately he lacks knowledge, ability and is immensely arrogant. I didn't even think of asking for discounts as it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to happen. He actually thinks he's doing every customer a favour when he sells them something - even if you have to wait a month for something you can buy on-line or 20km's away for half the money and straight away or in three days for delivery. The new bike wasn't assembled properly. The saddle was bent, cables not connected, derailleur bent. He then broke the hanger and said no problem I can buy a new one and it's fixed ! ... So yes, don't worry.. you are not alone ! As you know, it is not everyone, but there is a minority as there is anywhere in the world.

He might have high demand and low supply, but he could at least have been accommodating in his conversation and at least made you think you'd have good support in the future and maybe a discount on some pedals .. or garlic ..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Generalisations about national character traits are not helpful or funny. It is usually the case however that people respond in accordance with the attitude you adopt. There is likely to be a difference between a small private lbs and a larger store in a city probably part of a chain. I cannot believe a small local shop would survive without good customer service since they have a smaller market and rely on repeat business.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Generalisations about national character traits are not helpful or funny. It is usually the case however that people respond in accordance with the attitude you adopt. There is likely to be a difference between a small private lbs and a larger store in a city probably part of a chain. I cannot believe a small local shop would survive without good customer service since they have a smaller market and rely on repeat business.

When I’m speaking about typical French arrogance... it’s because I’m French. Nothing but humour here.

For the Specialized LBS, I think he’s still there only because he’s here since a few months only. Not sure he will be there in 5 years.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
How about asking the LBS if they would let you cover the cost to them of the scheme (£250) and then them honor the free battery offer? That strikes me as fair.

You'll still be saving £1000s on the GCI, and even though there's lots of offers out there on levo's, hardly any of them can be used in conjunction with cycleschemes.
I bought my comp carbon under GCI, there was no question of it not covering 100% of the bikes cost. I’ll realise savings over the payment period anyway. Given the after sales service I’ve had I would happily have paid full price anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles