RideControl app is not working?

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
Having an issue too, it works fine but then fails to upload data from rides. I logged out and back in and now data has vanished. Anyone had this and solved it?

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Yeah same issue here too, the guys on the Giant EMTB Facebook group all having the same issue, it appears to me that it is a server side issue.
Giant really need to put more resources onto this app, it's like they think its a side project or something. Back to Strava for the time being.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Same issue, bloody frustrating
Me too. Brand new Giant Trance E +1 pro MTB with RideControlOne.
Same problem as above. Really disappointed as it is my first experience with Giant. Local Dealer can't help. Now rely on Strava and I have also fitted a cheap Basic Sigma bike computer which gives me speed, time and distance.
Giant need to up their act as it is not good enough.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
E-mailed GIANT today, I’ll let you know if I get a response.
Thanks Mitch,
I gave up looking for a contact email address for Giant. I can understand why they don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry contacting them, but when the local Giant dealer can't get an answer for me, it is very frustrating

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Two rides today a short 6k this morning to pick my car up.
Then a full ride later, both worked, both uploaded.
But, an ideas on that straight line ?
It was the Marin trail, trust me that hasn’t got a straight line on it. We’d stopped for a break, seems to happened after the pause ??
612FBDEA-B88D-4F8F-A70A-8808489601A2.png

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
I used to get that line effect on my old Garmin running watch when I went through a short tunnel. It would lose GPS, then for the next 1/2 mile or so it would struggle to find GPS lock again. As soon as it did re-lock it would draw a straight line from where it lost it.

If you were going through tall tree sections or something that might be what happened.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I used to get that line effect on my old Garmin running watch when I went through a short tunnel. It would lose GPS, then for the next 1/2 mile or so it would struggle to find GPS lock again. As soon as it did re-lock it would draw a straight line from where it lost it.

If you were going through tall tree sections or something that might be what happened.
Cheers, I had that suspicion . Shame would have been good to see the full run .

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

Righto Highlander, in answer to your question about my RideControlOne.(RCO)
Answer might be a bit long but bear with this 73 year old technical dinosaur.
As stated, purchased my Giant Trance E MTB +1 pro in March this year.
Fitted with RideControlOne. I downloaded the AP.
First problem couldn't get the Ride Control AP to pair with my iPhone 6s. Finally, after many attempts, it paired or synced (whatever you call it), and I could record rides.
I have a heart problem, so I purchased a brand new Garmin Heart Rate Monitor so I could keep track of my heart rate. If it gets too high I back off. Garmin model HRM-1g which is a 2 in 1, namely +ANT also =BLE. Supposed to be compatible with the RideControlOne which is also +ANT. Waste of money, no mater what I tried, the Garmin wouldn't pair/sync with RCO.
Next problem I was out riding Intermediate grade hills and I had 8-10 complete power shutdowns, 2 or 3 in tricky situations. Local Dealer replaced RDO which seemed to fix the power shutdown problem. Indicated Giant had problems with some they thought was caused by moisture. I doubt that as I had never ridden in the rain at that stage.
I then had five rides and when I tried to 'save' the ride, RCO came back with 'Activity Upload Fail'. Tried ever since but it appears these rides have disappeared into cyber space.
The RCO latest update is version 1.2.1. build 27, which I understand is the latest update.
Have just heard today that Giant are working on this problem.
I also understand RCO works better with Android phones, than it does with iPhones.
Does it make any sense to you?

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
@Labrador29 thanks for taking the time to explain it. I'm a new owner so wanted to see what I could be in for!

I rode in a downpour yesterday, then hosed the bike down (not jetwash, just hose) and after cleaning the RCO still seems fine today. I agree it sounds like your first RCO was just faulty, not wet!

All the other problems you are having seem to be with the Ride Control App rather than RCO, I've installed it but not actually used it yet. The app seems very poor, the people on here and the reviews in the android store suggest it just isn't fit for purpose.

I track all my activity from my Garmin watch currently which gives me all I need. Would be really nice to have a working app though! Hopefully they respond to all the -ve comments and make it usable.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
@Labrador29 thanks for taking the time to explain it. I'm a new owner so wanted to see what I could be in for!

I rode in a downpour yesterday, then hosed the bike down (not jetwash, just hose) and after cleaning the RCO still seems fine today. I agree it sounds like your first RCO was just faulty, not wet!

All the other problems you are having seem to be with the Ride Control App rather than RCO, I've installed it but not actually used it yet. The app seems very poor, the people on here and the reviews in the android store suggest it just isn't fit for purpose.

I track all my activity from my Garmin watch currently which gives me all I need. Would be really nice to have a working app though! Hopefully they respond to all the -ve comments and make it usable.
Kia Ora Highlander,
Just been out for a ride to compare the Sigma Pure 1 bike computer, against RideControlOne and Strava. I deliberately stopped for 5 minutes exactly, to see if RCO and/or Strava would stop recording time and pick up again when I started riding again. I was aware that Sigma wired bike computer paused when the wheel stopped turning, and picked up again as soon as the wheel started turning again. I had to work out the average speed using a formula for the Sigma, as it doesn't show average speed. (basic bike computer) Made for interesting reading.
The ride was 15 kilometres and all three were within 220 metres of 15.0 kilometres which is acceptable to me.
Times: Sigma was bang on 42.42. Strava showed 48.15 which indicated it didn't stop running during the 5 minutes stationary stop, or the odd stop for traffic. RCO was another 45 seconds (49.00) so it appears that didn't stop for the 5 minutes stop or brief stops on the ride for traffic..
Interesting enough, I have found that although I set RCO to only show location when using Ap, even with App turned off, RCO is actively using your location in the background.
So much to my surprise, my NZD$25 Sigma wired el cheapo bike computer is the most accurate of the three.
Incidentally my Standard 2 and Standard 3 teacher back in Napier NZ in 1955 & 1956, married a Scottish lass and now lives in Dunoon. He still talks like a Kiwi though. Lol

camper66

Jul 10, 2020
Europe
Hi guys, newbie here.

I own a Stance E+ 2 since November 2019. 3 days ago during the ride I've got 2 strange light combination on my controller L3 and red LT light and motor stopped working. I switched off the bike and turned it back on, everything was OK for the first 20meters, when everything came back. I tried to run the ridecontrol app, bick was connected, but it asked me to update the firmware and I received 2 well known options - cancel or contact the seller...

Anyway, cant use the bike and can't update the app. Any idea please?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Hi guys, newbie here.

I own a Stance E+ 2 since November 2019. 3 days ago during the ride I've got 2 strange light combination on my controller L3 and red LT light and motor stopped working. I switched off the bike and turned it back on, everything was OK for the first 20meters, when everything came back. I tried to run the ridecontrol app, bick was connected, but it asked me to update the firmware and I received 2 well known options - cancel or contact the seller...

Anyway, cant use the bike and can't update the app. Any idea please?
Sounds like a speed sensor issue. A trip to the dealer is in order I’m afraid.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles