Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
fidlock.jpg

Product name: Fidlock Twist 600 Bottle
Price paid: 30
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Space was limited for a water bottle. Had to be side exiting as there's insufficient space for the bottle to slide forwards. It's also upside down, so gravity's constantly trying to take it away.

My first side exit cage dumped the bottle everytime the bike dumped me, hence the fidlock.

Obscenely expensive for a water bottle, but, it does stay in place, no matter how often and badly you fall and it's easy to put back and remove (not that a normal one is difficult). The magnets guide it into place and then the mechanism clips it.

To remove, you twist it. Mine's upside down, so you twist anti-clockwise.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do decide you want to have it work the other way for any reason, if you take it all apart , turn things around and swear at the tiny screws and captive nuts which aren't particularly captive for half an hour. You will not be rewarded with success. The magnets are poled, so if you spin the mechanism on the bottle around, it just repels itself from the mounting bracket..

If you spin the mounting bracket around as well as the bottle bracket, you do have the advantage that the bottle will sit about 35mm lower in your frame (which was too low in this installation).

They also do a 450ml bottle which is slightly shorter and an attachment so you can fasten pretty much anything to it.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
They also do a mount for frames without water bottle bolts. I didn't particularly like the strap that came with it, so I bought some 9mm heavy duty cable ties. Ran it on my DH bike for a month at Morzine, and it didn't fall off once (although I popped an enduro strap over - not sure if this was required). The tiny screws on the bottle came loose (but then so did every other bolt on my bike), and a bit of loctite kept these in place.
Cannot recommend highly enough, much more durable than you would imagine!

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm actually amazed that mine has survived all my crashes and still hasn't fallen off once ! I'm starting to wonder if I should have a fidlock saddle and some shorts attachment ....

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Thanks for this. Just ordered one also. should arrive today (Amazon Prime)

Not seen the attachment yet so will have to look out for that.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the main bottle comes with the attachment ? Or do you mean the additional attachment so you can clip banana's or other weird things in ?

Bike part (base) and bottle :

Base, but with the weird adapter :

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
I think the main bottle comes with the attachment ? Or do you mean the additional attachment so you can clip banana's or other weird things in

Mine arrived and does come with the attachment to fit the bottle.

Was wondering whether the other attachment could be used to attach an aftermarket booster battery should I ever need one.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Was wondering whether the other attachment could be used to attach an aftermarket booster battery should I ever need one.

I can't find any specifications anywhere on weight limits. A booster battery's going to weigh more than a water bottle. Should work in principle. I'm sure I read something somewhere about weight limits, but can't find anything and it's not mentioned in the PDF's on the fidlock site.

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Thanks for that swift reply. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I had been looking at another thread for a booster battery (probably don't make them for my Giant anyway though!) I thought a contributor had said that the booster is about the same weight as a full water bottle.

Maybe one day they will be compatible with the Giant ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for that swift reply. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I had been looking at another thread for a booster battery (probably don't make them for my Giant anyway though!) I thought a contributor had said that the booster is about the same weight as a full water bottle.

Maybe one day they will be compatible with the Giant ?

There seem to be a few new "multi system" ones popping up.

A 500wh factory external battery is about 2.5 kg's , so a 250wh external booster, if you used slightly higher energy density cells, could be about 1kg - so the same as 1 litre of water.

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
I think as the market for ebikes expands rapidly, there will be new players coming in to the matket. At least, we can hope.
Or Giant will make backwards compatible batteries of a higher wattage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles