YT Decoy thread part 2

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Nobody answered my earlier question, did anyone get a RaceFace dropper remote, or did they all get shipped with the standard Fox seatpost remote?

Marc

Jun 21, 2019
Switzerland
Only the cf pro race has fox/raceface dropper... sdg on my bike.

I got a Ergon SM e-mountain sattle but I did not find the sdg that bad.

I am in contact with YT. Could anybody please make a short video with good audio where you lift the bike at the headset a feet and let it fall on the front wheel several times. So I could send them a comparison to my bike?

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Only the cf pro race has fox/raceface dropper... sdg on my bike.

I got a Ergon SM e-mountain sattle but I did not find the sdg that bad.

I am in contact with YT. Could anybody please make a short video with good audio where you lift the bike at the headset a feet and let it fall on the front wheel several times. So I could send them a comparison to my bike?

Thanks, but mine is the CF pro race and has the standard fox lever.
Unfortunately I’m not with my bike this weekend so can’t record for you

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
My bike has been checked by YT and they say there is no problem and have shipped it back to me.

I pointed out to them that not only did I have the problem (bike not booting) but the local Shimano Service center also saw and spoke to Shimano UK tech support whose suggested a new battery and wiring between battery and motor.

I gave this info to YT and this is the response (several emails)

"We could not find any mistakes on your bike."

"We checked your bike. Subsequently, several mechanics have carried out a test drive. There was no error. So we can assume that the bike is in perfect condition."

"If we can not find any mistakes we will not exchange any parts."

They did not contact me letting me know they could not find a fault just put the bike back into shipping and only when I asked when it was due did they tell me it had already shipped.

The bike was 100% dead by the time I shipped it so I can only assume that some loose connection or vibration sensitive component got rattled back into place during shipping.

I have told them I want this escalating to senior management as it is unacceptable and I will not accept the bike back. I have also suggested that a refund may be an option as a bike that could fail at anytime is no use to me.

I will keep you informed as things progress but YT are showing they are struggling to adapt to EBike technology in the support area. Traditional bike mechanics will have no idea about electrical and electronic system so no surprise .

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
Perhaps we should have a general "Manufacturers Support" thread, calling out bad service. I have a Commencal and a Lapierre. Small niggles on both bikes were fixed by the manufacturer (Commencal) and Importer (Raleigh-LaPierre) IMMEDIATELY. I was delighted with the response from both companies.

With an E-bike, I can only say that after-care should be nothing short of 100% satisfactory, due to the nature of the bike. This applies to all, but especially direct-to-customer manufacturers.
It would be very helpful to know if any manufacturers are being less than satisfactory in this respect. Name and shame!

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
My bike has been checked by YT and they say there is no problem and have shipped it back to me.

I pointed out to them that not only did I have the problem (bike not booting) but the local Shimano Service center also saw and spoke to Shimano UK tech support whose suggested a new battery and wiring between battery and motor.

"We checked your bike. Subsequently, several mechanics have carried out a test drive. There was no error. So we can assume that the bike is in perfect condition."

They did not contact me letting me know they could not find a fault just put the bike back into shipping and only when I asked when it was due did they tell me it had already shipped.

The bike was 100% dead by the time I shipped it so I can only assume that some loose connection or vibration sensitive component got rattled back into place during shipping.

I have told them I want this escalating to senior management as it is unacceptable and I will not accept the bike back. I have also suggested that a refund may be an option as a bike that could fail at anytime is no use to me.

I will keep you informed as things progress but YT are showing they are struggling to adapt to EBike technology in the support area. Traditional bike mechanics will have no idea about electrical and electronic system so no surprise .
I feel your pain and understand your frustrations. But,
If they can't get it to fail or have any issues, why would they have to replace any part?
Did they possibly reload the software?
Is it possible that the battery had a connection issue?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I feel your pain and understand your frustrations. But,
If they can't get it to fail or have any issues, why would they have to replace any part?
Did they possibly reload the software?
Is it possible that the battery had a connection issue?

The issue is that the bike has a fault that has been verified by a Shimano Service center who made part swap recommendations. YT are ignoring this and need to come up with a strategy to handle the problem , which they will have on many ebikes I think over time.

I have suggested to them that they swap the parts or lend them to me ( with a deposit) to swap out WHEN the problem reoccurs.

PS I and the service center checked the battery connector multiple times.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
@Nasty Nick - How are you getting on with the Smashpot? I'm considering converting my Lyrik RC2, do you think it'd be a worthy upgrade?

What is your goal for the fork? What’s your ride fantasy (fully pinned in the gnar, boosting secret gaps at the park, 100k epics, etc)?

No doubt the fork is crazy smooth now, and with the open bath damper the maintenance intervals are huge. But I’m more of a smash every lip, huck to flat, try to snap a berm style of rider so I need a higher spring rate. I had to go through a few springs to find the right one, which was costly and being a little over sprung means I lost some of the plushness. And there is the weight, my base decoy, fully coiled with pedals is over 55 lbs. So for me I think a better upgrade may have been a modified air spring like the DSD Runt. But don’t get me wrong I’m very happy with the set up too. I’d suggest cooling the rear and maybe a damper upgrade like the hc97 first.

Funny I met those guys from that review at the bike park and did a wife swap with nick. I found his levo to be a lot more flickable and “normal” when jumping. The weight difference was very noticeable.

Marc

Jun 21, 2019
Switzerland
Have you checked the cables above the battery. If they are bouncing onto the inside of the frame they will sound loud due to the shape of the downtube.

Yes I saw the cables when I removed the battery. Was thinking about putting some foam rubber inside there. Will try... its really hard to tell where the noise is actually coming from with these carbon frames.

Last edited:

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania

It's very frustrating what's going on! Usually YT guys were very open and helpful whenever you needed.
I bought 3 bikes from them alone, besides, all the guys in my group bought YT and that's why when I ordered Decoy, the YT was pretty repulsive with the clients.
They delayed my order for 2 months, I received only standard mail, say a robot answers me. At week 26, the one who passed had to get the bike! No ... has not arrived, no delivery track I have. So I'm staying for 2 weeks!
We are talking here for a lot of money, locked in YT, they use this money and I ride in the air instead of the bike!
At the last mail they did not even have to respond!
It is clear that they are out of all points of view, very many delivery delays, service problems ..... not acceptable! I think there has been a lot of frustration among the employees especially because they are out of the situation and probably work overtime, but that does not have to affect me as a client, I do not have to care! I paid 4600 euros for 2 months and I do not have the object at home!
And I'm thinking of writing to Markus Flossmann, maybe it's stupid ... I do not know !!

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
It's very frustrating what's going on! Usually YT guys were very open and helpful whenever you needed.
I bought 3 bikes from them alone, besides, all the guys in my group bought YT and that's why when I ordered Decoy, the YT was pretty repulsive with the clients.
They delayed my order for 2 months, I received only standard mail, say a robot answers me. At week 26, the one who passed had to get the bike! No ... has not arrived, no delivery track I have. So I'm staying for 2 weeks!
We are talking here for a lot of money, locked in YT, they use this money and I ride in the air instead of the bike!
At the last mail they did not even have to respond!
It is clear that they are out of all points of view, very many delivery delays, service problems ..... not acceptable! I think there has been a lot of frustration among the employees especially because they are out of the situation and probably work overtime, but that does not have to affect me as a client, I do not have to care! I paid 4600 euros for 2 months and I do not have the object at home!
And I'm thinking of writing to Markus Flossmann, maybe it's stupid ... I do not know !!

What country are you located in?

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Beautiful Country,
I think there is much more demand for the bikes in your part of the world. The bike I ordered is not available until November on the Europe region. In the US is about 6-7 weeks. They probably can not make enough bikes to fill all the orders. Hopefully they become better at estimated delivery dates. I will see how it goes for me.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
What is your goal for the fork? What’s your ride fantasy (fully pinned in the gnar, boosting secret gaps at the park, 100k epics, etc)?

No doubt the fork is crazy smooth now, and with the open bath damper the maintenance intervals are huge. But I’m more of a smash every lip, huck to flat, try to snap a berm style of rider so I need a higher spring rate. I had to go through a few springs to find the right one, which was costly and being a little over sprung means I lost some of the plushness. And there is the weight, my base decoy, fully coiled with pedals is over 55 lbs. So for me I think a better upgrade may have been a modified air spring like the DSD Runt. But don’t get me wrong I’m very happy with the set up too. I’d suggest cooling the rear and maybe a damper upgrade like the hc97 first.

Funny I met those guys from that review at the bike park and did a wife swap with nick. I found his levo to be a lot more flickable and “normal” when jumping. The weight difference was very noticeable.

Thanks for your feedback. I currently have a Push 11/6 on the back and wanted to bump my Lyrik up to 180mm and try a mod from one of these companies. I'll look at the Runt and HC97. I was also even considering a 180mm Boxxer. I believe the axle to crown on a 180mm Boxxer is the same as a 170mm Lyrik. Boxxer weight should be comparable to a 35/36mm SC fork with the Smashpot. Also the upcoming Manitou Mezzer with it's 37mm stanchions has my eye. Would like to see some feedback on that fork.

It's being used in Colorado front range gnar, everything from blues to double blacks -- very rocky, dry, loose. Even with the coil on there I find the bike to still be playful and I've been doing little bonus jump lines etc. Might be the shorter chainstays and wheelbase compared to my other steed (Pole Evolink 158). Sadly, not as much bike park action as I was hoping as I just called Trestle bike park (best park around) and they don't allow ebikes. Not a huge deal, as I do still love the Evolink.

Have you found any other mods to the Decoy to be hugely worth-while? I'm also about to throw a -2 degree headset in mine and run it in the high position.

Last edited:

Marc

Jun 21, 2019
Switzerland
My Decoy was on time (Switzerland)

Will be hard to reach out to Flossmann (sales) and Willared (technical stuff). They are using zendesk... I was always in contact Michael Lifka but he is slow and not very helpful... "mate my bike is making these noises.." ... "send your bike back please.. "... ok... :rolleyes:

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
My Decoy was on time (Switzerland)

Will be hard to reach out to Flossmann (sales) and Willared (technical stuff). They are using zendesk... I was always in contact Michael Lifka but he is slow and not very helpful... "mate my bike is making these noises.." ... "send your bike back please.. "... ok... :rolleyes:

Lifka is the guy I am dealing with. ?

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
I think Lifka is bored! :D
Flosmann is zen, but if he stays long, he might wake up without clients! As YT has picked up fast, it can fall fast!
Bicycle prices are no longer so small compared to other brands, Decoy is even expensive, especially as 2019 bicycles are found at a low price.
I'm looking at Propain now, you can customize the bike as you like and with a 4700 euro you take a Lyrik fork, a RS arc shock absorber, Magura MT7 brakes, a new Shimano battery. So I would not sleep on my ear!

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Hello guys, just to clarify any doubts on the CF Pro fox damper. Check out this video where you can clearly see the Grip2 damper on his fox. Cheers

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
I think Lifka is bored! :D
Flosmann is zen, but if he stays long, he might wake up without clients! As YT has picked up fast, it can fall fast!
Bicycle prices are no longer so small compared to other brands, Decoy is even expensive, especially as 2019 bicycles are found at a low price.
I'm looking at Propain now, you can customize the bike as you like and with a 4700 euro you take a Lyrik fork, a RS arc shock absorber, Magura MT7 brakes, a new Shimano battery. So I would not sleep on my ear!
The Propain bike looks nice but what cells are used in the new Shimano battery, possibly 18650 ? I could be wrong but I think YT uses a better cell 21700 , that's why their standard pack is 540. So to me the Shimano battery is already behind as far as technology goes. The YT also charges quicker. 90 % charge in 3 hrs. 100 % in 3.5 to 4 hours. Shimano is 5 hrs to 100 %. Also a carbon frame vs aluminum. YT bikes are on the market around the world but September for the Propain, and will it even be available worldwide? If YT is having such a high demand for their bike and can barley fill orders, how would Ekano do? There is no other bike available right now that compares to the Decoy for materials used, components included and the overall cost. This is a great time to be a E-bike rider with all these new bikes coming. How long will YT be one of if not the best lowest cost high end Performance E-Mountain bike? We shall see.

Last edited:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
So it turns out the decoy does have to go back to Europe rather than to a local shimano service centre?

IATR

May 23, 2019
UK
"One more issue is the charge port that is placed under the downtube, kind of tricky to get the charge port protection on some times"

Rub a little Vaseline around the outer side of the rubber cover, needs doing every 10 charges or so. Slips straight in and stays there...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles