• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Options to de-restrict a 2019 Levo

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Seems a bit of a taboo subject on here yet what's the options to raise the assist slightly. Could do with about 20mph min. Running 5.4.0 on my Levo HT (2019) so guess that rules out using the light blue app to change wheel size?

Don't really want to be rewiring dongles but if that's the case so be it. See there's a guy on here does a plastic mod option yet believe that doesn't work on the hardtail?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I think for the HT (without the blue lights on the TCU) you are still able to use the BLEvo app.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
I think for the HT (without the blue lights on the TCU) you are still able to use the BLEvo app.
Yeah no lights on mine. 2019 model but sticker says Sept 2018 build.

Never used BLEvo app as don't want to record rides or anything but I guess your stating there's a mod to change wheel size?

Last edited:

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Yeah no lights on mine. 2019 model but sticker says Sept 2018 build.

Never used BLEvo app as don't want to record rides or anything but I guess your stating there's a mod to change wheel size?

You've the same bike as me. Poverty (£2250) HT? No software hack for our Levo. Only option is something like a badass box might work, but I've not looked into it.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
You've the same bike as me. Poverty (£2250) HT? No software hack for our Levo. Only option is something like a badass box might work, but I've not looked into it.
Yeah same bike, yet I just read a post on the BLEvo forum and Paolo (app designer) said it will work as the 2019 HT is same as 2018 model?
I guess only one way to find out unless you already tried that?

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Yeah same bike, yet I just read a post on the BLEvo forum and Paolo (app designer) said it will work as the 2019 HT is same as 2018 model?
I guess only one way to find out unless you already tried that?

My 2019 Levo was manufactured on Christmas eve 2018. No Blevo hacks for it. Blevo is still a nice app if you want to see absolutely everything going on with your bike. Bit much for me for every day use, but I got a £2 Google credit yesterday so for £6-odds it was a must have buy.

One good thing about blevo is you can see the exact Wh of your pack. The sticker on the pack says 401Wh but my pack shows as 423Wh in Blevo. So thats nice. You can also see your motors max power output. Don't be disconcerted that its lower than the FSR owners. Mine is showing 594Watt output which is also nice I think.

I too wish you could push the bike beyond 15mph without it seeming a labour. I've done some fast roads between trails where you really don't wan to be pootling along at 15mph. Leg power gets me up to 25mph and I can sustain that on flat but soon as I hit a hill i fall off a cliff. Even a gentle 20% help would make life so much easier.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Well looks like it's a hard wired mod then.
I don't generally take my phone with me on trails. Just stick the bike in trail mode and go home when the battery is flat!

Hope the bike is going well for you, few upgrades and it becomes a semi-proficient downhill beast. Just need to get the right tires dialed on mine!

Last edited:

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Well looks like it's a hard wired mod then.
I don't generally take my phone with me on trails. Just stick the bike in trail mode and go home when the battery is flat!

Hope the bike is going well for you, few upgrades and it becomes a semi-proficient downhill beast. Just need to get the right tires dialed on it next!

Let me know how you get on. :)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
My 2019 Levo was manufactured on Christmas eve 2018. No Blevo hacks for it. Blevo is still a nice app if you want to see absolutely everything going on with your bike. Bit much for me for every day use, but I got a £2 Google credit yesterday so for £6-odds it was a must have buy.

One good thing about blevo is you can see the exact Wh of your pack. The sticker on the pack says 401Wh but my pack shows as 423Wh in Blevo. So thats nice. You can also see your motors max power output. Don't be disconcerted that its lower than the FSR owners. Mine is showing 594Watt output which is also nice I think.

I too wish you could push the bike beyond 15mph without it seeming a labour. I've done some fast roads between trails where you really don't wan to be pootling along at 15mph. Leg power gets me up to 25mph and I can sustain that on flat but soon as I hit a hill i fall off a cliff. Even a gentle 20% help would make life so much easier.

Hi @PaoloBLEvo , can you please confirm if BLEvo is able to modify the wheel size setting of a 2019 Levo HT version? I thought it would still be possible for the Levo 2019 HT which doesn't have the TCU.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
my wife had a 2019 hardtail with the 1.2e motor, i could change the wheel size with light blue and with blevo and zworks

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Hi @PaoloBLEvo , can you please confirm if BLEvo is able to modify the wheel size setting of a 2019 Levo HT version? I thought it would still be possible for the Levo 2019 HT which doesn't have the TCU.
Yeah sorry meant to say Paolo came back to me via email and said it would work. Will try via light blue app first as already have it on phone. Hopefully I won't brick my motor ?

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Blevo will work on a 2019 Levo HT. I used it on ours to try but then realised I didn't actually need the extra speed and set it back to default.

I am sure lightblue will also work

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland

Really? So 2019 HT with the 1.2e motor can still use the modify wheel size trick? I was looking through the official page, but was blinded by all the 79 pages of comments. Just for clarity for us "poverty" owners.....

What wheel size settings should be used on the 2019 HT with 29'rs? Also what "speed x" should be set to get accurate speedo? Whats the expected top speed at which assistance stops following the changes?

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Really? So 2019 HT with the 1.2e motor can still use the modify wheel size trick? I was looking through the official page, but was blinded by all the 79 pages of comments. Just for clarity for us "poverty" owners.....

What wheel size settings should be used on the 2019 HT with 29'rs? Also what "speed x" should be set to get accurate speedo? Whats the expected top speed at which assistance stops following the changes?

You don't need to mess with wheel size / multipliers etc - just set the maximum speed you want to achieve on the "bike setup" page. You can set it to 50mph if you like, but just remember you'll run out of gearing and leg spin speed at around 27-30mph

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
You don't need to mess with wheel size / multipliers etc - just set the maximum speed you want to achieve on the "bike setup" page. You can set it to 50mph if you like, but just remember you'll run out of gearing and leg spin speed at around 27-30mph

Even better, so I can get my legs alone to accelerate up to 27mph before I hit my cadence limit (old), maintaining that on flat is ok, but inclines see me dropping rapidly to just on/over the 15.5 limit (so I get the odd little burst of help from bike). So with setting top speed to say 25mph the bike will help me stay at 25? If so I'll be over the moon with that. I really don't like riding on the road (fell off too many times and too much bad driving around my way) so the less time I spend on roads and the more on trails the better.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Blevo will work on a 2019 Levo HT. I used it on ours to try but then realised I didn't actually need the extra speed and set it back to default.

I am sure lightblue will also work
I only need it to keep up with friends on their full sussers on flow trails. It seems those bikes carry more weight and they can pull away from me without peddling, whereas I'm quite light and need a boost peddle here and there yet most the time I'm doing over 15mph so it's already cut out. Call it cheating but I like to ride on people's tires.

Here's a video to the info for light blue. I've never used BLEvo app. I must admit a school boy error in calling this de-restricting... what I meant was 'tuning' lol. Don't want to upset the owners of this site.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I only need it to keep up with friends on their full sussers on flow trails. It seems those bikes carry more weight and they can pull away from me without peddling, whereas I'm quite light and need a boost peddle here and there yet most the time I'm doing over 15mph so it's already cut out. Call it cheating but I like to ride on people's tires.

Here's a video to the info for light blue. I've never used BLEvo app. I must admit a school boy error in calling this de-restricting... what I meant was 'tuning' lol. Don't want to upset the owners of this site.

I have watched that video already. I'd much prefer to use blevo if that option is available. That way I can dick about with it quickly and easily. Whereas messing about with hex values sounds like a chore lol

Worked in IT long enough to know the quickest easiest option is usually the best option.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
I have watched that video already. I'd much prefer to use blevo if that option is available. That way I can dick about with it quickly and easily. Whereas messing about with hex values sounds like a chore lol

Worked in IT long enough to know the quickest easiest option is usually the best option.
If its that easy then sure BLEvo seems the better option but seems too good to be true. I've not used the app and no offense to anyone that does but I just want to ride trails 4-5hrs then home, no interest in clocking up times or routes. I'm sure it does alot more but I don't like gadgets and I don't take my phone with me on rides. I may be wrong but likely unless you have the app paired all the time the speed change won't work anyway?

We'll be out the EU by end of the year anyway so hopefully the UK can squash this stupid 15mph rule. I would happily pay 3rd party liability insurance to then have a bike running at full potential.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
If its that easy then sure BLEvo seems the better option but seems too good to be true. I've not used the app and no offense to anyone that does but I just want to ride trails 4-5hrs then home, no interest in clocking up times or routes. I'm sure it does alot more but I don't like gadgets and I don't take my phone with me on rides. I may be wrong but likely unless you have the app paired all the time the speed change won't work anyway?

We'll be out the EU by end of the year anyway so hopefully the UK can squash this stupid 15mph rule. I would happily pay 3rd party liability insurance to then have a bike running at full potential.

After adjusting the speed limit/wheelcircumference there is no need to keep the phone paired to the bike.

I fully agree with @Sandy BLEvo works much easier then the hex programming but you should make your own choices.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
After adjusting the speed limit/wheelcircumference there is no need to keep the phone paired to the bike.

I fully agree with @Sandy BLEvo works much easier then the hex programming but you should make your own choices.
Yep, you're right, last thing I want to do is hardcode the wheel size to not be able to change at a later date. I will try BLEvo tomorrow and if it's a fit and forget mod then all good. If it gets complicated then I'll go the other option.?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Yep, you're right, last thing I want to do is hardcode the wheel size to not be able to change at a later date. I will try BLEvo tomorrow and if it's a fit and forget mod then all good. If it gets complicated then I'll go the other option.?

I recommend to read the manual:
Instruction manual in english
and if you have questions, just let us know... Happy to support!

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I recommend to read the manual:
Instruction manual in english
and if you have questions, just let us know... Happy to support!

Read through. So should I uninstall the mission control app to avoid it sending data back to HQ?

If I've set speed to 25mph rather than 15mph does blevo push this figure to my Levo HT? Install and forget, no longer needing to use blevo unless I want to put back to stock?

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Read through. So should I uninstall the mission control app to avoid it sending data back to HQ?

If I've set speed to 25mph rather than 15mph does blevo push this figure to my Levo HT? Install and forget, no longer needing to use blevo unless I want to put back to stock?

I didn't uninstall mission control, but having both running at the same time causes issues with dropouts in bike to phone comms (at least it did for me), even if one is in the background, ensure that you fully close them before launching the other.

When setting the speed in Blevo its pushed to the bike, the bike then needs a reboot I think (Blevo tells you) and it stays there, even if you never connect your phone again. If you open Mission control after setting a different speed in Blevo you'll see that the wheel size has been changed.

I de-restricted ours, took it for one ride (a couple of miles) and then set it back to default as it was a little crazy and battery life did suffer with the additional assistance. I can however see the reasoning for increasing the max to approx 20mph, its a shame that my FSR (which is a 2019 model) can't be done without hardware.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I didn't uninstall mission control, but having both running at the same time causes issues with dropouts in bike to phone comms (at least it did for me), even if one is in the background, ensure that you fully close them before launching the other.

When setting the speed in Blevo its pushed to the bike, the bike then needs a reboot I think (Blevo tells you) and it stays there, even if you never connect your phone again. If you open Mission control after setting a different speed in Blevo you'll see that the wheel size has been changed.

And that's definitely the case with 2019 Levo HT?

I previously booked my Levo in to my LBS because I was assured I should see 20amp output even though I'd said I had a HT. Turns out 15.2amp was bang on and I didn't have my bike for best part of 4 days lol

If I can tweak my bike so its not trying to stop me going over 15mph I will be doing it tonight.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
I didn't uninstall mission control, but having both running at the same time causes issues with dropouts in bike to phone comms (at least it did for me), even if one is in the

I de-restricted ours, took it for one ride (a couple of miles) and then set it back to default as it was a little crazy and battery life did suffer with the additional assistance. I can however see the reasoning for increasing the max to approx 20mph, its a shame that my FSR (which is a 2019 model) can't be done without hardware.
Forgive me for asking the question but surely the battery life would only suffer more if you were constantly going over 15mph, no assistance parameters have changed, you've just extended how long you use assist. So even though you change the wheel size, up to 15mph, nothing changes with BLEvo. If you decide to thrash around 15-25mph in turbo then I guess you will use up juice right?

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Forgive me for asking the question but surely the battery life would only suffer more if you were constantly going over 15mph, no assistance parameters have changed, you've just extended how long you use assist. So even though you change the wheel size, up to 15mph, nothing changes with BLEvo. If you decide to thrash around 15-25mph in turbo then I guess you will use up juice right?

Checked and indeed if you load blevo and change top speed and save it then updates your bikes wheel size. Which you'll see in Mission Control.

Sure enough you get motor power over 15.5mph. Not full power I don't think. But you get a bit of help. Didn't go far, but tried turbo and didn't see a massive drop in battery power.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
So did a test today on a 5.6 mile stretch where I live. Start a new job tomorrow so wanted to know to the minute how long it would take me to get to the train station.

Bike was set to 50kph in BLEvo, full battery and I weigh 65kg. Ride was half gravel track, half road (don't tell the Police). Temp was 24c. Fuel, 1 bowl of porridge.

Journey to: 100% Eco mode all way, 20mph cross on headwind. Time 21min. Used 1 bar (10% battery).

Journey back: 40% Eco, 60% trail. 20 mph cross off tailwind. Time 17.5 min. Used 2 bar (20% battery).

Top speed I reached was 48kph, average about 27 I think. By the time I finished, the motor was 45c, not sure I'd want it to get any hotter.

Conclusion: Riding fast (over the 25kph) drains your battery, especially moving out of eco. Without the added assistance into that wind though I would have been alot more knackered and not enjoyed the ride as I was still riding just over the 25kph cutoff. Only reason I used trail on the way back was because i didn't give myself time to recover and turned straight round so needed a bit extra help. Would I use the added assistance on trails, probably not. I can generally ride for 4hours+ on trail mode before the battery runs dry so that part would annoy me. When I need to get somewhere quickly, for sure, it's a no brainer. People want to moan about that, go for, not like no one ever speeds in their cars eh.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I did 9 miles cross country yesterday. Mainly trail, a smidge of eco and a few good squirts of turbo. All pretty much rough teach (maybe 1 mile max of fine gravel / Road). Didn't properly check my battery level. But it was ballpark 35%. I was pretty happy with that. Motor was still pretty cool, low 20's but then it was 9pm onwards and ambient temp was dropping.

I think 25miles is definitely doable with perhaps a bit less turbo. I'd set myself a gate to gate challenge segment and was huffing and puffing full pelt in turbo for that.

I think in my regular use I'd see more like 40miles, a lot more use of eco (albeit tweaked up in assist a bit).

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Buy
buy a another speed sensor cable, unplug the original but leave it in its place for a quick fix back to factory state , use a magnet on the inside of the pedal.my mate has his like this, works a charm, my 19 fsr the dealer set the wheel circumference to 2000 now it cuts out at 30 instead of 25, perfect.
Unfortunately can't do this on the levo ht, the chainstay (where you would fit the sensor) is too close to the pedal arm. Could fix it to the downtube but it would stick out and look odd. BLEvo works fine, I can hit 50kph now on a commute.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles