Model: Diode
Model Year: 2018
Price Paid: 8750
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: LaMere Cycles Diode Ebike review:

Rider height 5’10”
Size bike: Large

I started this project last October and the build was my winter project. Last fall I rode the Specialized, Trek and just about every E-bike I could demo. What I liked about the Diode was that it was full carbon and rode like a ‘real bike’. It was the lightest that I tested and rode like a dream. The diode was built and designed around Shimano’s E8000 motor with 250W and it is well balanced and a great design. I was surprised how well the Diode handled the single track and tight corners. Even with the 66 degree head tube the Diode can handle tight single track with no problem. Pedaling thru and out of the corners the Shimano motor engages instantly which keeps the ride smooth. In terms of descending, the bike can handle everything I have ridden: long steep shale, banked corners, jumps, and everything in-between. So far I have not found a weakness in the Diode.

Working with Shea and JP at LaMere Cycles was a blast. I think I changed the fork and shock set-up about 50 times in December and LaMere Cycles were great to work with, very patient and very helpful. It is clear these guys get out and ride their bikes, they know how to set up the bikes, where to spend money and where to save money. They have tested every product I inquired about and I feel like I got the best bike for me on the market. One thing I don’t like to do is to buy a bike knowing I want to swap out the wheels, stem and handle bars. With the custom build at LaMere I could pick every part I wanted (which was good and bad, my indecision added a month to the build!). I built mine up with Onyx hubs, which have instant engagement and are totally silent! Ohlins fork, RockShox shock, XT Di2 & Bluetooth dropper seemed to make sense and the cool thing is that the Di2 never needs to be charged, it draws power from the bike battery.

I have found I ride this bike way too much; it is a blast to ride and have to make a conscious decision to ride my other bikes. I have found on my ‘recovery ride days’ I am able to control my heart rate and ride the diode and have more fun than recovery rides on my analog bike. I can ride the E-bike bike trails in full recovery mode and still have a blast, work on cornering at higher speeds and just plain have some fun.
For me this was the right E-bike choice. Clearly more nimble and better handling than the others and the fact that I could chose every part was the icing on the cake.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles