Solo Riding Safety device trackers a - which ones to review?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Simpler the better please.
beginning to think that a rough plan of my route and time table together with Google maps "share my location" backed up with some texts along the route should do the job for me .( wify only half bothered anyway!)
I am usually riding through trees etc and have noticed frequent signal failure .....maybe an old I phone on another provider (EE) as a back up for that..
Rob you have a big job on for this review ...but very useful
Have Fun all.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Doesn't satellite coverage depend on which gps service the specific plb uses? Some better than others.

Correct.

Spot uses globalstar , which at least for Australian satellite phones is considered to have very patchy reception . I know that in the adventure motorbike community there were lots of worried people trying to work out what had happened to their spot carrying friends in the early days ( until we realised not to trust them)

Garmin inreach uses the iridium network, it's relatively better but in hilly or covered country reception can also be patchy. Theoretically it should have better coverage than spot

I'm not aware of any devices using the thuraya network, but I guess you could just buy a thuraya satsleeve so your smart phone can revert to sat when out of mobile range?

A plb uses both the stationary geo satellites and the roaming leo , so theoretically there is a higher chance of eventually getting a signal out.

Sooo...most foolproof solution is to tell someone who cares exactly where you are going.

The truth is, I never know - I like the freedom to decide at each corner. So I carry a plb for my best chance of getting a signal out if things go pearshaped, a garmin inreach mini for my best chance at maintaining 2 way text communication and tracking so they can find my body, and my mobile because it takes reasonable photos. On remote group rides, I carry my iridium satphone as well - there is nothing quite like the convenience of talking directly to emergency personnel when things go wrong. Ironically, the only time I've personally needed emergency services was in my own back yard.......

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Was interesting to note on the forum ride yesterday that there was very minimal phone reception in Peaslake (there was a power cut in the area so may have been due to this as reception is usually ok round there) rendering the app devices pretty inconsistent

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Correct.

Spot uses globalstar , which at least for Australian satellite phones is considered to have very patchy reception . I know that in the adventure motorbike community there were lots of worried people trying to work out what had happened to their spot carrying friends in the early days ( until we realised not to trust them)

Garmin inreach uses the iridium network, it's relatively better but in hilly or covered country reception can also be patchy. Theoretically it should have better coverage than spot

I'm not aware of any devices using the thuraya network, but I guess you could just buy a thuraya satsleeve so your smart phone can revert to sat when out of mobile range?

A plb uses both the stationary geo satellites and the roaming leo , so theoretically there is a higher chance of eventually getting a signal out.

Sooo...most foolproof solution is to tell someone who cares exactly where you are going.

The truth is, I never know - I like the freedom to decide at each corner. So I carry a plb for my best chance of getting a signal out if things go pearshaped, a garmin inreach mini for my best chance at maintaining 2 way text communication and tracking so they can find my body, and my mobile because it takes reasonable photos. On remote group rides, I carry my iridium satphone as well - there is nothing quite like the convenience of talking directly to emergency personnel when things go wrong. Ironically, the only time I've personally needed emergency services was in my own back yard.......
Funny you say talking direct to emergency services.I got criticised by ambulance crew for not calling direct after my crash.My house luckily was only 10 minutes drive from my location and if I had been further from home I would have.May seem pretty lame excuse but at the time I wanted to see my family more than the emergency services.
Looking back I think I may of made a big mistake as freaked my daughter out completely.Im like you I vary my route depending on my mood.In future I intend to have a timed cut off point, meaning if I’m not back in x amount of time.Try locating me if not with a call then with a location device.

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Simpler the better please.
beginning to think that a rough plan of my route and time table together with Google maps "share my location" backed up with some texts along the route should do the job for me .( wify only half bothered anyway!)
I am usually riding through trees etc and have noticed frequent signal failure .....maybe an old I phone on another provider (EE) as a back up for that..
Rob you have a big job on for this review ...but very useful
Have Fun all.
I actually used the share my location on google maps in the end.Bloody hard without my reading glasses,had about 5 attempts at it.Worked well though as in my case my daughter got location within 5m

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Was interesting to note on the forum ride yesterday that there was very minimal phone reception in Peaslake (there was a power cut in the area so may have been due to this as reception is usually ok round there) rendering the app devices pretty inconsistent

My phone has dual SIM cards, and I use 2 different providers with different equipment.
So I "should" get a better coverage...

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I use Garmin Incident Detection as mentioned earlier. It works ok but is flawed in that deliberate rapid deceleration frequently triggers a false positive. Still, better than nothing.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Funny you say talking direct to emergency services.I got criticised by ambulance crew for not calling direct after my crash.My house luckily was only 10 minutes drive from my location and if I had been further from home I would have.May seem pretty lame excuse but at the time I wanted to see my family more than the emergency services.
Looking back I think I may of made a big mistake as freaked my daughter out completely.Im like you I vary my route depending on my mood.In future I intend to have a timed cut off point, meaning if I’m not back in x amount of time.Try locating me if not with a call then with a location device.

Yeah...ditto....

Apparently an sms to your wife asking if she'd mind coming back to provide some adult supervision isn't an appropriate response to an injury requiring a helicopter ride.....nor is getting your 12 yo daughter to write down a list of your injuries to tell the ambos ?

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Me, my kids and the wife we all have installed an app called what3words which is recommended by the police and the emergency services. Basically it sends your location and is accurate within a meter from your position. Never had to use it but I can see been a problem if there is poor signal area.
what3words

Moss

Oct 8, 2018
Ireland
We use View Ranger for plotting courses on OS maps on a smart phone. The app is free the OS maps are very cheap to buy if you need OS (you can buy map tiles i.e. just what you need) and you don't need phone coverage - works off GPS. I have found it to be very accurate. There is a feature called Beacon Buddy whereby a nominated phone or phones can see your location useful in the event of a crash. I use an old iPhone with a power bank in a waterproof phone carrier strapped to the bike. The OS maps are essential when doing mountain routes which are not much traveled which is the kind of biking I like to do. Check it out at Walking Routes, Hiking & Cycling Trails, GPS & OS Maps | ViewRanger

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks @pgtips I have downloaded the My3words app. I agree that if there is a poor signal then it is useless, but if I want to find my car after a two week holiday, or my tent at a festival, or my mates in massive crowd, then this looks like it could do the job.

I feel like making up a 3-word string and seeing where it is! :)

TPP

Oct 1, 2018
Leeds
I've found Specialized Angi to be useless. I've had numerous crashes, including over the bars and not once has it triggered the alarm to register a crash. I thought it was faulty, so took it back to be replaced, but the second one was the same. Also had problems with it disconnecting from the phone mid ride. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I've found Specialized Angi to be useless. I've had numerous crashes, including over the bars and not once has it triggered the alarm to register a crash. I thought it was faulty, so took it back to be replaced, but the second one was the same. Also had problems with it disconnecting from the phone mid ride. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Not trying to defend it but... I believe the activation is triggered by the ‘crash’ being sensed followed by a period of inactivity. So if you got up and brushed yourself down straight away it might not have gone off?

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Not trying to defend it but... I believe the activation is triggered by the ‘crash’ being sensed followed by a period of inactivity. So if you got up and brushed yourself down straight away it might not have gone off?
You may be right but would you put your life on it ?

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Some safety devices have a “Man down” capability which is not triggered by an impact but rather when the device is horizontal and motionless. These are designed to be worn on your clothes somewhere. You just need to remember to turn it off when you have a kip after lunch :)

TPP

Oct 1, 2018
Leeds
I did some of my own testing by throwing the helmet at piles of cushions and I did manage to trigger it immediately after impact but I had to throw it hard. I'll try some simulated crashes followed by lying still.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I did some of my own testing by throwing the helmet at piles of cushions and I did manage to trigger it immediately after impact but I had to throw it hard. I'll try some simulated crashes followed by lying still.
These types of devices are notoriously difficult to test/develop as so much depends on the dynamics of the impact. One crash will trigger it and one won’t. I’ve done some testing of fall detection devices, which use similar principles, and same deal there. It all depends on how you fall. Can you tweak the sensitivity of the Ange at all?

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
This is what I want to test. Fake crash followed by a long lie down to see what happens.
For me Rob, I think a review of the Angi would be great.
I guess you could divide any other reviews into riding areas where there is mobile coverage and then remote areas that have no coverage. So many Apps / device options out there.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Another recent. Phone call could make all the difference. I have a baufeng vhf radio(maybe you can get a deal with an emtb motor purchase and they discount the radio?), with the repeaters programmed in for remote locations when I’m out of cell service. I can bring up the repeater and make a phone call in an emergency

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hmm pic didn’t load. These are cheap on eBay

6375BCE7-6B65-479F-BD2E-64A927FE9324.jpeg

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Great topic,
I do a lot of hiking, regularly alone and at night.

Another vote for Viewranger here. I have been planning my routes with it for years, I use it so much that I’m a beta tester for them lol.

The buddy beacon is pin coded so anyone with the pin code can access the map with your last known location on it. It simply pings up on a map at whatever frequency you set. I think I have mine at 15 mins when walking.

Be aware though that whilst the GPS doesn’t need data at all, it can only ping a buddy location signal out when it has a data signal to access its server with.

On big trips out onto the fells, especially ones with a dark descent, I always upload my plan to Facebook too, not just so my pals can see it but so an MRT member can be directed to it if need be, allowing them access to my detailed trip journal which will make way more sense to them than to my stressed out wife.

My itineraries are quite detailed, with parking location, expected section times and expected return times. (Ideal for car thieves I know...)

Finally, I have the wife’s old iPhone 6s, switched off with a PAYG sim on a different network to my own phone wrapped in bubble wrap in my rucksack. Just in case I need a phone because I’ve wrecked mine, or mine (on EE) has no signal... there’s a chance the alternative network will (vodafone)

Pic because it’s pretty and a reminder of why I am often up there in the dark. Lol.

47BBC306-DB04-4088-B866-3C5AB002350A.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles