Article 2020 Bosch Update: New motors, 625Wh battery and more

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bosch have just dropped what looks like the biggest bunch of EMTB updates ever seen. New motors, batteries, software, anti tuning and more! First the headlines, read on for the full update.

Bosch 2020 Gen4 CX Motor

All new motor designAlmost 50% smaller, more compact design2.9 KG, 25% less weight than the outgoing modelStandard chainring mount at the front75Nm Max Torque

The big news is that Bosch have an all new EMTB motor. Aimed at ‘sporty’ riding (guess that means the more hardcore e-mountain bikers!), the motor is a lot smaller, lighter and gives a better power distribution across a much wider cadence range.

Bosch-2020-Motor-EMTB-Forums-2.jpg
Smaller motor can reduce chain stays which were always on the long side on the outgoing model.

Bosch claim the the motor offers up to 340% support, so that makes it’s peak power output around 850 watts, with a torque output of 75Nm. Interestingly that’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Looks good, but I am a bit surprised they have decided to mandate a display. Maybe a more minimalist option will be coming down the road next year?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
The future is eMTB app stores! So you gotta mandate a screen if Bosch are going to sell you apps!

(Maybe)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting that they are using the Bosch Motor in the more “accessible” EMTB’s but still using the Shimano in the higher end models. Guess it’s the cost of changing the carbon moulds.

Disappointed they haven’t changed/updated the display options. The Ebike—Mtb site review says its noisier than the shimano systems too, but due to a mechanical noise rather than motor one.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Interesting that they are using the Bosch Motor in the more “accessible” EMTB’s but still using the Shimano in the higher end models. Guess it’s the cost of changing the carbon moulds.
I believe Focus has just done an early release of four Jam2's with Bosch, I guess there'll be more towards the end of the season.

Those two bikes are pretty different though. The new one has significantly shorter chainstays, a bit taller BB, it weighs like 1.5kg+ more. Will be interesting to see if Focus is giving up on the 384Wh non-detachable internal battery bikes.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is there a picture of the battery plating label yet? I'd like to know if the new battery is actually 625Wh or approximately 625Wh like the 482Wh of the Powerpack 500...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On the latest EMBN vid they do a noise comparison of the new vs old motors. It’s not quiet

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Range sounds good.

"51.45 km / 1230 metres ascent – this is the range we managed to squeeze from the motor, always riding in the highest assistance mode until the battery was completely drained. "

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
On the latest EMBN vid they do a noise comparison of the new vs old motors. It’s not quiet
I saw that. It sounded whiny like my Shimano. On the Singletrack videos it sound much more like the recent Bosch CX bikes. A lower tone & quieter.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I'd accept the noise if they were trumpeting some additional sealing to improve reliability and alongside the other improvements. It is there the current motors really need to improve - let's be honest, none of them are exhibiting excellent long term reliability if you are doing true mountain biking with them. The failure rate on Brose is particularly frightening (every Levo owner I know has had at least one motor under warranty, some more), but Bosch's prev generation CX was not immune to issues either. I'd certainly accept a bit more size and weight over the current best in class in those departements for enhanced motor life.

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Personally I really don’t mind the noise from my Shimano, it only whines on steep climbs and that’s still not a big deal for me. I would happily not have it there but it’s no deal breaker, and based on internet rumblings, the Shimano motor seems like the most reliable - to be expected from the Japs!

I think the whine downhill as well as uphill would be a bit frustrating.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles