What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
@spacemonkey - which version of the hand dampf did you have? I have the Apex 2.6 version on the back and have been pretty pleased with it. Sidewalls have been fine and we have lots of sharp flint around here, punctured the main belt a few times where the Apex bit is supposed to be, mate has done the same to his. Think I will look elsewhere next time and the Michelins look good value. Aren't they supposed to be pretty heavy though? Could do with toning down the sidewall graphics as well!

It’s the latest version. 2.6 with blue stripe. I remember having the previous version that came on a new bike and it also punctured a lot. But my main issue with them is the weak sidewalls. Feedback is very vague and it feels like it’s going of the rim.
I do ride very rough trails and maybe they perform better on flowy trails, but for me its michelins or Maxxis Minion all the way.
A little extra weight? No problem on an ebike.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I totally agree with ChrisP!
Riding an Ebike makes me ride harder and faster, throughout more of my ride, on a much heavier bike; ergo - I need more grip! Care less about weight and drag, and since most my rides are well within my batteries range( around 15-30km.) I don't worry about maxing out my range! More so, since I'm riding a heavy bike, harder, on mostly Rocky terain.. To me at least - survivability (no snakebites or broken rims) and zero punctures are my biggest considerations, so I can make it home, and not spend a fortune on repairs! ( New tires or rims..)
Therefore, for me, it's a no-brainer to get the biggest baddest tire I can!
I ride a specialized Kenevo that came with Butcher 2.8 tires. A first for me on both accounts.
On the front, lowering the tire pressure to around 20psi, works well for me. But in the rear, I found myself riding even lower pressure to try and get the grip I wanted. But ended up raising the pressure back up above 20psi after a few close calls and dents to my rear rim, not wanting to destroy it, I realized I needed another solution.
The conditions here are very dry and Rocky most of the year, and the selection of available 2.8 tires here is not great.. so it was dhr's or butchers..after hearing of specialized new dh casing, the " black diamond" I decided to order one and try it. Saving my almost new butcher off the rear - as a spare for the front.
At the same time realizing it would help my traction, some punctures and tire stiffness, but not save my rims.. I started looking into tire inserts.
After reading many reviews about the different ones, decided on cushcore, despite some concerns about installing them.
But I must say after installing both, that it wasn't that bad all in all, and the end result - the combination of being able to run 15 psi on a durable dh casing that feels stiff and predictable as if I was running 25 psi, (due to the air token effect)with the cushcore inserts - but with much more grip and "plush" gives me an immense sense of security and confidence to push my riding harder and faster!
I definitely see myself getting cushcore on the front too, as soon as I can afford to.
I will post about my cushcore installation experience, in a separate post.
Tim View attachment 13243 View attachment 13243

Ok, so this is an update, or second part to my first post about changing my rear tire to a " black diamond" and adding cushcore inserts...
I have been very!! Happy with these changes... I run about 15psi in the black diamonds, and get amazing traction and pliability out of them! They just hug the terrain! And are very confidence inspiring, with no fear of denting..
The original 2.8 butcher on the front seemed ok and grippy enough, when it was wet and the trails we're compact... But as soon as it dried up, and here it's already blazing hot summer! The trails turn to Rocky powdery rockslides... And that's when the butchers started feeling verry sketchy to me, as a front tire. Lower pressure helps, but then they roll in the corners.. and I fear for snakebites and my rims.. not awe inspiring... They just feel to " roundish" and fat, for the front. Imho.
So I realized I would like a slightly thinner more aggressive more directional tire for the front, to help my steering.
The natural go to tire of my past was the dhf, so ordered the 120tpi exo 2.8... knowing maxxis are always a little smaller than stated. And that with my experience with the cushcore on the rear, it would only improve the performance of the dhf, so splurged for it too...( Another 70$!?)
The installation:
True it was my second cushcore install - so I had experience..
But even considering that - it was a verry! Easy install! The dhf was much easier to get on the rim than the black diamond. All said removal and install in less than an hour.. no hassels.
And as before on the rear, the tire immediately inflated with no sealing problems and no leaks! Do to the cushcore helping to hold the bead in place.
I must mention - as mentioned by others here on this thread though.. that the dhf sidewalls were not! Impressive at all! Compared to the black diamond, and even to the regular butchers.. they seem paper thin!? Maybe I should have listened!?... But I've always had great experience with the dhr/dhf's. So I hope I don't get let down by them...
As expected, and as I wanted, the dhf is not really 2.8... at best it's 2.65 or 2.7. but that's what I was shooting for, and the tread is much more directional and aggressive.. so we will see what the results are.
In the pictures you can see the difference in the size of the tires, side by side, and as measured - the dhf is 2.72" the black diamond is 2.88"!!!
IMG_20190602_195454.jpg

IMG_20190602_195256.jpg
IMG_20190602_205107.jpg
IMG_20190602_205150.jpg

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I might go down to a 2.6 rather than 2.8 and get something that rolls better. Any suggestions?
[/QUOTE]

It verry much depends on what your riding style is, and the terrain you ride.. as mentioned here before...
There are very good rolling tires, and there are very " grippy" tires. But it's always one at the expense of the other...
You have to decide what's best for your style of riding, and for the most common type of rides you do.. also your weight, type of bike, ect... It all makes a difference.
So basically, we need more info?
Tim

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Anyone tried the Maxxis Assegai in the Exo compound yet?

My riding buddy put one on the front of his 29er "normal" enduro bike and rode it for about 2 weeks before swapping it for a DHF. He said the grip was on par with the DHR but the Assegai felt like dragging an anchor on the climbs. Performs slightly better in the wet than the DHF and held its line over rooty sections. Might be an "acceptable" option on an EMTB but not going to shave minutes or even seconds off your strava time.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
My riding buddy put one on the front of his 29er "normal" enduro bike and rode it for about 2 weeks before swapping it for a DHF. He said the grip was on par with the DHR but the Assegai felt like dragging an anchor on the climbs. Performs slightly better in the wet than the DHF and held its line over rooty sections. Might be an "acceptable" option on an EMTB but not going to shave minutes or even seconds off your strava time.
Definitely the Exo casing and not the heavier DH?

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
So maybe just stick with the magic mary then?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
So maybe just stick with the magic mary then?
never ridden one - but it all comes down to application anyways - the Assegai looks like a great winter alternative to the Shorty which is a nightmare on dry surfaces. Seems like Maxxis were looking to make the "Goldilocks", a tire that has no major weakness but no real strengths either which from what I hear sounds a lot like the Magic Mary.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
not sure it's worth explaining TBH.
If you honestly can't think of their strengths yourself you probably just don't ride in the conditions where they excell.

Pybo

Jan 21, 2019
Middlesbrough
Not seen them yet...
I’ve heard July mentioned for EXO and EXO +
Not sure about the DD yet?

I’ve ordered a 29 front wheel for my Pivot shuttle with an Assegai in the DH flavour.
End on this month for wheel so I’ll see how the tyre feels opposed to the 27.5 shorty DD max grip on the OEM wheel

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I have slashed my Nobby Nick 2.8 3 times in the last couple of months. Not impressed! So I have an eddy current 2.8 rear ready to mount. Am just a little concerned about battery range as they are apparently a little draggy.
In August when I do a trans Alp I might go down to a 2.6 rather than 2.8 and get something that rolls better. Any suggestions?
I realy like my Maxxis Rekon 120 TPI, it is a 2.8 but look 2.6 might be available

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I focus on my rear tire. Yeah this is where grips count for me. I do not care about speed nor jumps, i enjoy climbing. On average i ride 3 hrs, 33 min to the trails, i have no car this is why i bought an Ehardtail+, 2 hrs in the wood mix of fire roads and singletracks than 27 min back home. Ya, i am lucky if i empty my batery no problem no hills to get home. My rims are 27.5x40 mm. I started with Maxxis Chronicles 3 in. that felt OK. I was curious i traded the rear for an allmost new Maxxis Rekon 2.8 120 TPI 3C TR. I really like it. Would it do well in front? I switched my 175 mm arms to 165 so i am not worried about pedal strikes. With all that time on asphalt i do not know when i will need new tires but i want to be ready. Any suggestion for front(probably 2.8, maybe 3.0) for a rear 2.8 or should i go 2.6(remember i am on a HT)? Thanks

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I have slashed my Nobby Nick 2.8 3 times in the last couple of months. Not impressed! So I have an eddy current 2.8 rear ready to mount. Am just a little concerned about battery range as they are apparently a little draggy.
In August when I do a trans Alp I might go down to a 2.6 rather than 2.8 and get something that rolls better. Any suggestions?
You can probably improve your gearing if you look for distance. My Haibike came with a 10 speeds cassette 11-36. Day 1 i switched to 11-42. I might go up a little slower but it avoids draining the battery when we climb. Check if your derailleur has room, mine was no problem.
-- my neighbor is offering me a 27.5x3.0 Ground Control and a Trail Boss(WTB) same size, do you know them?

Pybo

Jan 21, 2019
Middlesbrough
New tyres on today...

Put a 29ner wheel up front on my Pivot..
30mm rim with Assegai DH 2.5 maxxigrip 16psi

Rear: 27.5 OEM wheel 40mm rim with the Michelin EWild Rear 2.6 21psi

Conditions were mainly dry..

The Assegai was outstanding...never noticed the extra few grams over the previous 27.5 DD Shorty.
Grip was fantastic and the bigger wheel was brilliant! Roll over was defo noticeably better.

Ewild was far better than the previous DHR2...grip is excellent but still need to try in the wet.
I prefer the smaller volume and stronger sidewalls.

20190709_115708.jpg

20190708_173419.jpg

20190708_173408.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
New tyres on today...

Put a 29ner wheel up front on my Pivot..
30mm rim with Assegai DH 2.5 maxxigrip 16psi

Rear: 27.5 OEM wheel 40mm rim with the Michelin EWild Rear 2.6 21psi

Conditions were mainly dry..

The Assegai was outstanding...never noticed the extra few grams over the previous 27.5 DD Shorty.
Grip was fantastic and the bigger wheel was brilliant! Roll over was defo noticeably better.

Ewild was far better than the previous DHR2...grip is excellent but still need to try in the wet.
I prefer the smaller volume and stronger sidewalls.

View attachment 15798

View attachment 15799

View attachment 15800
Nice setup! I'm curious how the rubber compounds feel between the the rear ewild and the maxx grip assguy?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
In my short time on ebikes I have had 3 different bikes that I have put time on - each with different rubber and have had both good and bad experiences with each set.
The loan Scott was a 27.5 with Maxxis Minion DHF EXO front and DHR II. Was good in most conditions but did not like roots that that well and I often found myself spinning and stalling when climbing over them.
The eGenius 29er I purchased came with Hans Dampf up front and Magic Mary out back and they performed way better in the wet and over roots but were suspect on wet clay. Threw some Maxxis Recons on and found much more predictable performance on damp clay as well as not too bad over wet roots but not much tread to get grip in muddy conditions.
The Levo Comp came with Butcher GRID which I think were reasonable in most conditions but had little feel when transitioning from braking into cornering. Replaced them with Maxxis DHF and Agressor in the rear and am very happy with performance in all conditions I ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles