MTB Clothing

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Am I the only one that finds MTB clothing a bit of a challenge? Prices are ludicrous, and sizing is all over the place.
Currently I am looking for shorts. I wear Leatt DBX padded shorts underneath my bike shorts so need a bit of slack in size but I also wear knee pads and most shorts I find are too....short. OK stood up but a gap between the knee pad and shorts leg when sat on the bike. Thinking of going for 3/4 length. What do you guys use?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a pair of Kenny MTB shorts. In size L, though I'm normally a medium. These fit well, breath well, are comfortable and pretty much just overlap my Sam Hill Knee pads. Due to my amazing ability to fall off and injure myself, fractured rib second time on on first bike due to a right of way disagreement with a tree, fractured pelvis second time ride on second bike due to massive over confidence so had a huge OTB over a drop - so I now always wear armour. Cheap amazon fox copy upper body armour and the matching under shorts. The shorts and top fit well and are comfortable, both items have paid for themselves 10 times over in only a few weeks.

The Kenny shorts came with padded "under shorts". Went out for a longer ride on Friday so I thought I'd try these for comfort. A mistake. I still have red marks on my thighs from the silicone bands on the shorts gripping so tightly and my arse was in agony from the pad moving around all over. My Other half tells me I have "lucky legs" - lucky they dont' snap, so presumably I don't have the largest of legs !

Discussing my discomfort with a mate afterwards he explained that they were special E-bike shorts, skinny legs and fat arse. :)

Last edited:

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
It's the *look* I can't cope with. I dont want to look like I bought *all* the gear.

But I'm the same with all my clothes. Like, I can't wear a nice suit *and* tie *and* smart shoes. It's just too much.... of *that* look.

So on the bike, I've taken to mix n' matching casual clothes with MTB specific bits. Like, skinny jeans in the winter, but a technical wind breaker. Or, technical shorts (TLDs) in the summer and a casual tshirt (merino is my new favorite material).

Fewer darn logos. Clothes I can use more frequently for more things.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Definitely a gap in the market some some less in your face MTB clothing.

I’ve discovered over the last few years that Fox make great suspension but awful quality clothing. Alpinestars is okay but not much better. Raceface seem up there with the best quality stuff, just got some shorts, knee/shin and elbow pads - only a few months in but it’s noticeably better then others I’ve owned.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
100% make mostly garish stuff, but I managed to snag some very discount casual tshirts on CRC that I now wear for everything.

I'm getting back in to Howies after a couple of decades break.

Icebreaker merino tops too.

And I have a few Fox bits too.

I like the cut of TLD clothes, but just a bit logo-heavy to wear multiple items in one go!

I’ve discovered over the last few years that Fox make great suspension but awful quality clothing.

You know those are two different companies! :unsure:

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
And my shameful secret: M&S stretch skinny jeans! They're comfy on a bike, don't catch on the chain, and cheap enough to be able to afford trashing a pair every winter.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I ordered a couple of MTB jerseys from aliexpress a few days ago. They weren't too garish and were about €11 each delivered. No idea what they'll be like though. You have to read all the reviews to work out the correct sizing. The had quite a few MTB shorts listed on there which looked quite "normal" .

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I ended up with Oneil Generator mtb shorts. At least ONeil know how to design clothes and size them correctly (albeit the US version of large xl etc. Plain black, logo is "stealth", 3 different fabrics used, adjustable waist/no belt......and length is just past the knee so ideal for use with knee pads. I looked at quite a few others which were pathetic despite being premium priced....many no better than a cheap pair of swimming trunks.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Have to agree with the OP. Been using fox gear for years and the last couple of seasons the quality is lacking very much. I also struggle to find good fitting clothes, i either look vacuum packed or like I’m wearing a gazebo with some stuff, then a size large in one brand and a double xl in another. Good quality clothing is worth the money as it lasts, I just think the pricing on everything over the last few years has gone mental, but I’m guilty of still spending ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wear Endura shorts, 3/4s and full trousers because they are pretty much the only brand that I can squeeze my fat arse into. Their tops are bloody hopeless though; far too small compared to the marked size.
Tenn Outdoors made some pretty good stuff at great prices but have gone bump now.
I buy technical tees from Mountain Warehouse. Not garish and cheap enough to be disposable when the inevitable happens.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the answer unfortunately for the lbs is to shop in generic sports clothing shops. They carry some of the better known brands but at lower prices and at least you can both see and try on the gear. I got my shorts from Go Outdoors.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
I love my 3/4 and full length women's Endura's and the only tops I love to wear are cheap and cheerful wicking, walking tops form mountain warehouse.
The best top I've got is from GMBN (long sleeved, Orange/pink camo naturally as us ladies sometimes need to do pink). I've been through thorny bushes and come off a corker on more than one occasion and it's never let me down, never pulled and always come up clean.
Cheap and cheerful tops form made in china are also good enough too. I couldn't justify paying a fortune for another ever again (fox top snagged within seconds)
Decathlon aren't too bad either and Aldi/Lidl.
However shoe wear, well that's just gotta be 5tens I'm afraid :oops:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Been meaning to get one. We do need a recommended list. I can recommend the Leatt dbx armour....top and shorts. Excellent fit and comfort and should be all you need for trail and Enduro. I can also recommend the G- Form knee pads and shin pads. No bulk and no straps.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Ive been using a company on ebay called wolfride....not to garish, plenty of colors and designs, good fit and certainly not expensive

* i have no affiliation to them in anyway

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For the last 3-4 years I have been wearing Endura MT500 Spray baggies. :love:
These are waterproof at the rear and water resistant at the front. They are 3/4 length so they are perfect with my knee&shin armour, no thigh flash! The knee-cuffs are velcro adjustable. There are zips at the side of the thighs that open to a mesh covered air vent. Two zipped pockets and an adjustable belt. No padded liner, but Clickfast fittings are installed. I have been wearing them all year round. They are cool enough not to be a problem in the Summer and yet I have ridden them at -5degC without any problems (British weather).

I have just Googled them to provide a link for you, but it seems that they have been replaced!! (Allegedly by something even better:unsure:). It's a good job that I have a brand new pair upstairs waiting for these to wear out (no sign yet). :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One of those posting mentioned that he didn't want to appear as though he "had all the gear....etc".

I can fully understand that approach, but with respect it is flawed. I used to have the same attitude to personal protection. I wore a helmet, but I would not wear knee or elbow guards because I thought they made me look as though I thought I was good enough to get into harms way. I wasn't at all; I was bad enough to NEED the protection, but too concerned about what people thought to actually wear it. So I picked up a lot of scars and endured too many days off the bike waiting to heal. I have a more mature attitude now, well slightly anyhow.

My approach to "all the gear...etc" is to "go grunge". If your kit is manky enough, nobody can tell whether it has a logo on it or not, or even how old it is. By now most of my kit not only looks manky but is so old that all the logos have worn off. A new piece of clothing might stand out for a short while, but it is lost in the general appearance. My Shimano AM42 boots have Gorilla tape all over them to hold the wrap over top cover together (after too many pedal strikes). I have a new pair in the wings and when eventually I need them, I might start them off by blacking out the white stripe! (never did like that).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Why so much angst about what others think? Is it a generational thing? Appearance matters in some scenarios but for MTB as long as you are not wearing Lycra or Speedos who gives a damn :cool:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I just got a "Fox" jersey from ebay...£13 inc post....and a UK supplier. I normally take Large...ordered a medium and its right. I say "FOX" cos the top has a the Fox logo designs but the jersey has no labels at all...no size label or wasbing instructions.....back door job probably.
Interestingly some of the sizing for Chinese back door stuff is the measurement of the garment...not the measurement of your chest/waist etc.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
The effort to not look like I'm wearing mtb gear eventually got to me so I bought some mtb shorts ( troy kee ace 2 ) - AWESOME - not all shorts catch on the seat when I'm moving around....and these things seem to integrate with my knee guards! Halfway between lycra and board shorts, and I can wear them without the cycling nappy thing for hours .

So I started looking for something that worked with my elbow guards , preferably something that breathes well, dries quickly , and doesn't fall to pieces if I'm negotiating with nature? As far as I can tell, there is NOTHING out there with long abrasion resistant sleeves that still breathes well? The klim tactical pro motorbike jersey is the closest I can find, but everything else is more flimsy tham my sailing shirts and nowhere near as well ventilated. Am I missing something?

At the moment, I'm wearing the dharco short sleeved top I picked up from the specials bin at tathra - it's reasonably cool and doesn't make me look like a clown with dressing apraxia , but I'd really like something with decent abrasion resistance. For what it's worth, my elbow guards are g- form , so fantastic for impact protection but not really designed for sliding down a rocky trail. I've seen the results of forearms peeled back by rocks....so would be more than happy to wear kevlar sleeves if they existed.

DanE

Jun 13, 2019
Sydney Australia
Check out Nzo MTB clothing. They are a New Zealand company and will also custom make shorts and tops if you want.
I am wearing their Sifters shorts and can't fault them. They are a mail order company that only make MTB clothing and are great to deal with.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I like my bike gear but it is a bit mix and match best accumulated over time.

I did pass a new Levo S-Works last week with the (120kgish) rider in full lycra, WTF it is not as if there aren't enough Levo haters already!

I have a pair of Dainese shorts (without logo) 20yo still as good as when I bought them. Under Armour in my new favorite brand their functional stuff functions bought a bucket load in an online sale otherwise I would need a second mortgage, top it with a scabby old Quicksiler tee, form and function! Also bought some bike shorts in Aldi for a tenner, threw the shorts away but the knicks are excellent.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I like my bike gear but it is a bit mix and match best accumulated over time.

I did pass a new Levo S-Works last week with the (120kgish) rider in full lycra, WTF it is not as if there aren't enough Levo haters already!

I have a pair of Dainese shorts (without logo) 20yo still as good as when I bought them. Under Armour in my new favorite brand their functional stuff functions bought a bucket load in an online sale otherwise I would need a second mortgage, top it with a scabby old Quicksiler tee, form and function! Also bought some bike shorts in Aldi for a tenner, threw the shorts away but the knicks are excellent.
whats wrong with the rider wearing full lycra, if thats what he wants to wear???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles