YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I saw elsewhere that a Decoy was listed by an owner as 55lbs. RTR. Just checking here as I thought that sounded a bit on the high side if anyone had posted any weights but I don't see any?

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Was it me? I’m at 55 with full coil, pedals, tubeless and a rimpact rear.
IMG_4932.jpg
IMG_4936.jpg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Quite possible, it was on empty beer. I knew there was a bunch of chatter here so I thought there would be other confirmations. Just sounded a tad porky to me but I'm sure it can be ridden hard once you get used to it.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Decoy on the way back to YT. I think it is a battery problem (new design ?) but they would not send out a battery for me to try and asked for the bike to check in there workshops.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Lee can you bullet point what happened?
Yep here goes.
-Bike worked out of box 1st day 20k ride.
- 2nd day bike would not switch on , stuck at steps screen (or turn off !)
- Removing battery for a couple of mins (capacitor discharge ? ) and it booted up.
- Clean battery terminals and all seemed to work.
- Did 25k ride and when I stopped to look at view --- BEEP Error 20 (battery to motor connection issue).
-Emailed YT . They said send back or take to local Shimano Center
- I took it to the Shimano center and they checked the motor, wiring and display. Still would not boot every time and when on short ride gave E20. They thought is must be the battery.
- YT asked for the bike back to check over . So it left here Monday.

I think that it may be a teething problem with the new YT specific battery (540wh). A bit of a pain but you always take a punt on new products and overall I like the bike.

My wife even rode it for a short run (to big for her really) and came back grinning. A few days later she bought a small Canyon Neuron (27.5 wheels) so hopefully my Decoy will get back about the same time her bike arrives. I don't fancy chasing her on my Jeffsy :)

Hope this helps , will update when new info arrives.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Yep here goes.
- Removing battery for a couple of mins (capacitor discharge ? ) and it booted up.
- Did 25k ride and when I stopped to look at view --- BEEP Error 20 (battery to motor connection issue).
- I took it to the Shimano center and they checked the motor, wiring and display. Still would not boot every time and when on short ride gave E20. They thought is must be the battery.

I think that it may be a teething problem with the new YT specific battery (540wh). A bit of a pain but you always take a punt on new products and overall I like the bike.

My wife even rode it for a short run (to big for her really) and came back grinning. A few days later she bought a small Canyon Neuron (27.5 wheels) so hopefully my Decoy will get back about the same time her bike arrives. I don't fancy chasing her on my Jeffsy :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yep here goes.

Thanks Lee - be interesting to hear how the process goes. Hope you get sorted soon.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Cheers Lee

Freezing on the steps boot up screen - so the logo just stays there and the bike is in effect bricked?

The usual take it apart and rebuild/recharge partially worked? But led to the E20 code. Sounds like something a few of us can look forward to then. Let’s hope the software on the battery/motor gets a suitable patch.

Mine is going to get some hammer once the sea levels have subsided and land appears again. If I get a sniff of something similar I’ll let you know. I’ll get in touch so I can quote your order number to tie up the issue. I doubt very much that it will be an isolated issue.
The joys of tech!

Did you send all the bike back? Wheels too?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
For those guys who have received and ridden their bikes, how is the battery performance working out? What sort of altitude and range are you getting?
Do you feel you are getting the enhanced range & performance Rob found in his review over other Shimano equipped bikes?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey Young Talent,
Thank you for choosing a YT-Bike.
We are truly sorry, but we have to inform you that we cannot ship your bike on time.
Unfortunately, one of our suppliers could not deliver an elementary component, which led us to not being able to assemble your bike as planned. As a consequence, we were not able to dispatch your bike as previously announced.
Your bike will be assembled and shipped within calendar week 26.
To compensate for the delay, we offer you the Bikebox for free.
If you have already paid your order, we will refund the already paid amount in the same way as your payment was received by us.
We are very sorry for the delay and kindly ask for your understanding.
Best regards,
Your YT Service-Team

1560507941859.png
Phone
Mail
Web

[email protected]
https://www.yt-industries.com

Odd.. That you're getting delivery for free and I'm being offered the box :unsure:

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
For those guys who have received and ridden their bikes, how is the battery performance working out? What sort of altitude and range are you getting?
Do you feel you are getting the enhanced range & performance Rob found in his review over other Shimano equipped bikes?

Ecky

Yes! Mine looks like being well capable of exceeding what these big Enduro/downhill focused bikes typically achieve.

40miles of range using all three settings and still perhaps 20% battery.

Altitude hasn’t really been my focus, I’m still getting some trust in it, learning it’s quirks and when I get the feeling it’s reliable then it’s going up Snowdon.

But I would say the 540 battery has a real world advantage that is greater than the extra 36wh would suggest, over the standard 504 Shimano unit. The 700wh would seemingly exceed all expectations based on the subjective feeling from my miles to date.

These new cells seem to be the current ‘thing to have’.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Odd.. That you're getting delivery for free and I'm being offered the box :unsure:

Maybe they’ve now run out of boxes?

Imagine being YT. In many ways this is a nice problem to have but only if you can resolve relatively quick so that you don’t burn your customers.

Still, I’d have more patience with them than some of the bigger manufacturers like Specialized. It’s important to support the small companies.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
These new cells seem to current ‘thing to have’.

I think you are right with the larger cells making the difference. Less stress under discharge leading to fewer parasitic losses.
A buddy has a 700wh equipped Levo and it seems to use way less comparative capacity than the rest of us on 400/500wh packs on the same rides.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Has anyone who went to the demo days and got a shipping voucher had their order delayed?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
At least we’ll be able to have a look at the new Bosch motor equipped bikes announced after the curfew lift next week.......

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
I think you are right with the larger cells making the difference. Less stress under discharge leading to fewer parasitic losses.
A buddy has a 700wh equipped Levo and it seems to use way less comparative capacity than the rest of us on 400/500wh packs on the same rides.

I’m finding I will climb back up and session a bit of trail and climb a little faster because there is less anxiety range. It’s early days and I’m wary of being confirmation biased (I’m £5k into wanting this to be the right decision!).

It would be good to hear from a Spesh rider who has spent a few hours burning a YT battery out if they had a view. Perhaps it’s one for Rob to do an update on ?

These cells are certainly going to improve range on new bikes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ecky

Yes! Mine looks like being well capable of exceeding what these big Enduro/downhill focused bikes typically achieve.

40miles of range using all three settings and still perhaps 20% battery.

Altitude hasn’t really been my focus, I’m still getting some trust in it, learning it’s quirks and when I get the feeling it’s reliable then it’s going up Snowdon.

But I would say the 540 battery has a real world advantage that is greater than the extra 36wh would suggest, over the standard 504 Shimano unit. The 700wh would seemingly exceed all expectations based on the subjective feeling from my miles to date.

These new cells seem to current ‘thing to have’.

sorry dude but 40 miles means absolutely nothing without context.

for something usefully comparable we'd really your weight.
terrain / conditions
elevation
modes
climbing speed

I can empty a 504wh E8000 battery in 10 miles easily (steep climbing in poor conditions in boost/trail) but I can also eek out 45 miles from the same battery depending on where/how I ride.
Generally I can't get a lot more than 4700-5500 ft of climbing out of the battery if the bike is on for every climb. (stready climbing in lower modes in good conditions). More often than not (using all modes and climbing at a decent pace) it'll only last for 4500ish ft

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
sorry dude but 40 miles means absolutely nothing without context.

for something usefully comparable we'd really your weight.
terrain / conditions
elevation
modes
climbing speed

I can empty a 504wh E8000 battery in 10 miles easily (steep climbing in poor conditions in boost/trail) but I can also eek out 45 miles from the same battery depending on where/how I ride.
Generally I can't get a lot more than 4700-5500 ft of climbing out of the battery if the bike is on for every climb. (stready climbing in lower modes in good conditions). More often than not (using all modes and climbing at a decent pace) it'll only last for 4500ish ft

Yeah Gary....you’ll note I included the word ‘subjective’ in there.

And I stand by it, subjectively the battery is awesome, way more power, loads more life, charges real quick. Couldn’t be happier. When YT send me the 700wh version I bet that, subjectively, it’ll feel twice as good to me.

Objectively? I can’t be arsed to do the maths.
It’s just better than anyone else’s right? Like my mum’s Shepherd Pie.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hence the free shipping ?

Pay £60 and get it when you should or get it free and go to the back of the queue?

That’s not YT’s style. Surely?
That's not what I was implying. Merely wondering what they'll offer if you already have a free box and free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles