Decoy CF base vs CF pro

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Obviously if money was no object you’d go CF Pro however money and delivery times are being factored into the decision and maybe frame colour and suspension ascetics too.

I’ve just sold my YT Capra so I am bikeless and ready to drop 4K on an ebike, the CF base is 4.2k and can be delivered June 12th so fits but I’m concerned the suspension isn’t going to cut it, I am just over 16stone/100kg in full gear and still like to hit some bigger stuff, will the Rockshox Yari RC and Deluxe R take the big stuff and heavy rider? My desired bike is the CF Pro due to the suspension upgrades although I’d probably prefer the AL rear end on the base than the carbon on the pro but it’s 1k over budget and not available until August 21st (RIP Summer) so isn’t really an option.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You could upgrade the Yari damper to a Charger 2.1 RC for c.£300 which should be a massive improvement.

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
You could upgrade the Yari damper to a Charger 2.1 RC for c.£300 which should be a massive improvement.

Yep, this is the option I have been looking at but then I’m up to 4.5k and for £500 more I’m at the CF Pro with a raft of upgrades and I personally prefer colour scheme. Damn you YT waiting times!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I’m clearly biased, but I was in a similar position and ended up going for a Meta Power 29 Signature. 4.3k with Factory, XT and XO1.

It’s an absolute weapon, the suspension and brakes and next level. Only problem is that when I got back on my YT Jeffsy CF (Pike, DPX 2 and Codes) it felt like a Halfords bike.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO at that budget, the only reason to go with the YT over a Vitus or Commencal are the looks, and the fact it has water bottle bosses.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Nothing wrong with that suspension, it can certainly take a hammering, maybe just not quite as refined as the top shelf stuff. Having said that the Yari came 3rd in a recent extended Bike Radar fork test sticking it to a number of Gucci products.

YT certainly know how to dangle a carrot encouraging you to go for the next model up!

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’m starting to get feedback that YT customers with a June availability date (different to delivery date) are being pushed back further by YT. Any other instances you guys know of ??

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Mine was supposed to be available from 5th June, still not heard owt. Chased them up by email on Friday for an update and all I got was crickets ?

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Mine was supposed to be available from 5th June, still not heard owt. Chased them up by email on Friday for an update and all I got was crickets ?[/QUOTE
YT has been telling me for two weeks my bike will be posted ‘tomorrow’. Good news, I’ve now got a DHL tracking number and it’s being processed for export

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
My base was supposed to arrive 6/5 and I got the shipment notification 5/15. I was really surprised how good the stock suspension felt. I hated the yari and delux shock on my last bike, but it was pretty good on the decoy. I’ve thrown $1600 in upgrades on it, it’s better, but not $1600 over stock better. I think you’d do well with the base and you can upgrade overtime if you’re wanting it.

That said I think the Decoy is a very good looking bike, but not sure it is that much better than the meta power or esommit. I think the turbo levo and probably the Norco sight vlt and maybe pivot shuttle are better bikes.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I’ve thrown $1600 in upgrades on it
What upgrades have you done?

Vorsprung smashpot coil and avalanche damper for the yari, bomber cr coil tuned by avalanche and Chinese carbon wheels. It’s very very plush now, but I get more of a “passenger on a speeding train” feeling than I did with the stock suspension. This is my first ebike so I’m still getting used to all the weight. On my acoustic enduro bike the suspension upgrades allow me to charge through gnarly rock gardens without even thinking about slowing down. With the decoy I’m not that inhibited on the really techy bits cause I feel like the bike commits to a line and I can’t change it at speed, I’m just a passenger...
I like to optimize my suspension for bike park style jumps, but still have it work well in DH style stuff. My decoy just doesn’t feel very poppy or maneuverable. Craig at avalanche made some recommendations I need to try.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles