• Only when mandatory to ride the area

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Didn't know that mate.

Been there over Christmas break for three weeks (Darwin area) and year before did a trip with a Britz campervan all over NT. I have not seen one cyclist on the road, nor on the dirt.

I tried riding on my relatives bike (if it can be called such a thing from BigW) and now I know why. The heat and humidity was an absolute killer. I have utmost respect for anyone riding in there.

BTW I brought my own helmet and had it on these few rides. What a pain in the ass.
Cheers, CU in the NT ;)

Cyclists in the NT are encouraged to ride on the footpaths, it prevents them from being rear ended by drunk drivers...true!

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
That’s gold ???

Unofficial Northern Territory slogan. There's even talk to put up a massive neon sign on top of big hotel in the capital city Darwin.
Capture.JPG

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
I wore my Bell 3R full face today. It actually kept my head cooler than my FORMER riding hat. Winner-winner chicken dinner!!! I'm very thankful my wake up call didn't leave me more of a drooling and stuttering idiot. (y)

There’s just no way you could enjoy fast technical trail/downhill riding without a helmet. If you’ve not come off, you’re not doing it right

Agree on the "no way to enjoy w/o a lid" but I can no longer subscribe to "if you're not crashing you're not riding hard enough". Getting everything home in one piece is ok with me these days. :cool::cool::cool:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup

Intetesting unit....will have a look.
The one's in the old times was too hot for me, just to wear as the normal kit while xc/trail riding.
Products has evolved so much during the last couple of years.

Cant find any good reviews...maybe just ask you :)
Is there any adjustability - I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny either.
Heat/airflow ?
Comfy ?

Since I've stopped DH, I've been using open helmets (normally Bell).
This year I'm using the Bell 3R in fullface mode....and very happy with it....very cool and comfy on my head.
It actually boosted my riding confidence....going quite faster now over terrible surfaces.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Intetesting unit....will have a look.
The one's in the old times was too hot for me, just to wear as the normal kit while xc/trail riding.
Products has evolved so much during the last couple of years.

Cant find any good reviews...maybe just ask you :)
Is there any adjustability - I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny either.
Heat/airflow ?
Comfy ?

Since I've stopped DH, I've been using open helmets (normally Bell).
This year I'm using the Bell 3R in fullface mode....and very happy with it....very cool and comfy on my head.
It actually boosted my riding confidence....going quite faster now over terrible surfaces.

I go it on a deal, pretty much all my protective gear is ION and I really rate them, and as you can probably tell from my earlier post on number of helmets I have A LOT of gear and ION has been my go to out of all my pads for a while - the protector fits good and is well ventilated, and has a couple of pockets on the lower back for storing stuff that are seperated from digging into you in a crash by the back protector, which is a nice touch. The main thing that is potentially a problem is that the armholes are not that big, so I can see that on someone with big upper arms/chest they much rub under the arm pit. Evans sell them so I would definitely get you local branch to get a couple of sizes in to try - they are a tight fit, I have a Large, am 6ft, 33inch waste, 40 shoulders and its snug on me.

However I think the best one out there there is probably the Leatt equivalent, @Rob Hancill and @Jonny2 have the version which includes shoulders and elbows, and rave about it, and I have a couple of MX buddies who have the vest and love it. It is still a compression vest, so will be tight and stretched, but it has adjustment straps too.. It more expensive but probably the best option if you are going to be shelling out. The chest protector is removable, and you chose the size based off your height, not girth, as this ensures the protector sits in the right position.

Both the ION and the LEAT use protectors that are a bit like 3D0, and when they warm up when you start riding they conform to your body, making them comfy and meaning the protection doesn't move around.

https://www.leatt.com/shop/bike/protection-gear/body-vest-3df-airfit-lite-3773.html

REVIEWED: Leatt 3DF Airfit body armour

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yup love the Leatt.

Don't know your wearing it, only thing I ‘notice’ is the chest protector but every time I’ve come before it’s been handlebars in the ribs that were the real injury!! Doesn’t get smelly and you can change out all the pads for more or less if you want. I don’t really use the back protector.

Chain reaction are doing a deal it at the moment: Leatt 3DF

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
Got my wake up call on a ride last evening. Riding on some "unimproved" ground and the front tire found a mostly hidden obstacle that rolled the wrong way when hit. I got slapped to the ground faster than you can say "faster". The troubling part is my head smacked the ground for the first time in my entire bicycle riding career. There were lots of large and small rocks near the indentation my head left in deep, fluffy, soft sand. I'm pretty sure I would have a head injury right now if I hit anything harder. The reason I would have had a head injury? I don't wear a helmet except when riding in bike parks. This was on my daily, neighborhood woods ride and I believed none of that terrain required use of a helmet.

How often do you wear your helmet?
Whether off or on road, I always wear a helmet. A million things unconnected with your own ability can make you fall off and then, as is clear from your story, what you hit with your head is pure luck. Or bad luck. There are so many helmets nowadays that are comfortable to wear, I don’t get why people don’t use one. I personally know a guy who fell off a hire bike on easy ground on holiday, hit the ground wrong and is still in a coma. Says it all.

Harpo

Apr 9, 2019
Cardiff
I always thought I would look a bit of a cock wearing a helmet, but actually got a matching colour one and it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would . 60 years old and only just getting back into biking after 45 years! Didn’t have helmets back in my day! Having said all that, I’ve been ‘off’ the levo regularly in the slippy mud and tough trails at BPW and just last week forget to unlock the sus and took a big drop and went over the bars.......all good fun when you’ve got protection. Not so much if none.
Riding a bike without a helmet is like sticking yr dick in a Blackpool hen party at midnight.......the odds are against you!

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
As someone who in their teenage years (before helmets were even really much of a thing) who went face first througu a dry staine wall, 1 week in hospital, complete memory loss of the event, and put me off road riding entirely I always tell folk to wear a helmet.

I've got the facial scars to prove not wearing a helmet isn't a good idea.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
As someone who in their teenage years (before helmets were even really much of a thing) who went face first througu a dry staine wall, 1 week in hospital, complete memory loss of the event, and put me off road riding entirely I always tell folk to wear a helmet.

I've got the facial scars to prove wearing a helmet isn't a good idea.

I spot a typo! :eek:

There is one too many "n't" in the last sentence.

Dan fagelson

May 2, 2019
Chelmsford
Why would you ride without one.... I don't get it.
You look better?
It messes your beautiful hair up?
After spending a few grand on a bike you didn't have £40 odd quid for a lid?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I can’t understand why you wouldn’t..?

I’ve banged my head several times on my eeb and every time thought thank god ive got a helmet on..Ive got about three and leave one in the car just in case I forget it.

I’d never ride without..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why would you ride without one.... I don't get it.
You look better?
It messes your beautiful hair up?
After spending a few grand on a bike you didn't have £40 odd quid for a lid?
I can’t understand why you wouldn’t..?

I’ve banged my head several times on my eeb and every time thought thank god ive got a helmet on..Ive got about three and leave one in the car just in case I forget it.

I’d never ride without..
I've probably spent well over £100k on bikes and riding. Of course I can afford one. I currently have six helmets. (two of which retailed for £300)
Yes. unless you're some sort of mutant or have a comb over or something you're obviously going to look better not wearing a bulky piece of plastic covered polystyrene strapped to your head and yes they can make a right mess of some folks beautiful hair.
But none of those are my "main" reason for not wearing one.
my main reasons are that I absolutely can't stand the feeling of wearing one. They're all uncomfortable and I get too hot wearing them.
I honestly don't feel I need one for 99.9% of rides. I feel free without one. and also ride acordingly. I'm no beginner at this and know my limits incredibly well.

I have hit my head while wearing one and without. But I've also hit my head far more times and more severely while not even on a bike (obviously not wearing a helmet) Folk go on and on about how cycle helmets save lives. Reality is it's just a piece of polystyrene. if it makes you feel safer great. And yes. it may make a difference to a head impact but in many circumstances it's not even going to help. and in others it can actually increase the severity of injury.

At the end of the day what I choose to wear is entirely my own personal choice and no one but me even needs to understand any of those choices.

I don't wear any other sort of protection either. ie. knee pads, gloves etc. for similar reasons

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
like sticking yr dick in a Blackpool hen party at midnight
it was a bit later than midnight and many many years back but I've done that too.
I'm still here. and so is my fully functioning dick.

Guess I'm just lucky, eh?

;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I'll bring one.
if it's anything other than freezing I'm unlikely to be wearing it much though.
When are you heading up?

I thought Rob was in Inners this weekend?

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
I'm a nurse and really you don't want to see any part of not wearing a helmet, brains spilling out ain't nice at all, feeding brain injured people isn't nice either, via a tube in their tummies and then providing suction through a tracheostomy site in their neck, unable to talk, walk or do (think 21 yr old, male having his butt wiped). I'd make it legal to have to wear one if I could...I never go without a lid. Sorry very strong feelings about this. Only last weekend if my hubby hadn't been wearing one he'd have been a very poorly man.

e-mtbiker

May 4, 2019
Liverpool
Some crazy comments popping up, personal opinion/preference/knowing your limits or not you never know when your luck/talent will run out. Wearing a lid provides some protection and so should really be worn. That's the advise and example we should be giving.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Advice to a child? Yes.
to a grown adult? keep it to yourself.

I'm not setting an example. or telling anyone else how to live their lives. I've no need to.

Styou8

Jun 30, 2018
Townsville, Australia
I’m a psychologist working in the disability sector. It takes relatively little force to get a traumatic brain injury. This can leave you with permanent damage including memory loss, restricted movement, slurred speech, difficulty finding your ass with the paper.

e-mtbiker

May 4, 2019
Liverpool
Advice to a child? Yes.

I'm not setting an example. or telling anyone else how to live their lives. I've no need to.
Advice to a child? Yes.

This is a forum, full of advice for both children and adults. It's important to give sound advice regardless of age, nobody is telling anyone what to do. That's the beauty of advice, you can take it or leave it. What we can do is provide sound advice, again based on fact. It's a fact that wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing a helmet. Therefor it would be prudent to advise wearing one, adult or child.

Clearly you enjoy being divisive for the sake of being divisive, I don't doubt your experience or ability on a bike but perhaps you could use that experience to provide better advice to people who aren't so well informed.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wear a helmet kids ;)

it's actually nowhere near as cut and dried as
It's a fact that wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing a helmet.
but don't let that stop you deciding which advice is best. or what advice you think i should be dishing out.
I'm not actually giving out advice at all. I'm dismissing people shoving their advice my way.

BTW in the UK emtb in public is only legal for 14yr olds and over.
how many 14-16yr olds are members here?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Cyclists should be aware of the risks they are taking, then decide if they are happy to accept those risks or try to reduce them.

I didn't know much about head injuries, but have done a bit of reading up on them after dealing with a couple of mates who got hurt. Some points to consider:

1) concussions are bad, repeated concussions can be life changing (see: Feature Story: A Life Shattered by Brain Injury - Lorraine Truong - Pinkbike)
2) traditional helmets are great at stopping your head cracking open like a nut, do nothing to stop concussion
3) helmets with a mips layer may help reduce concussion
4) teeth are really expensive

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles