• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I think the next group ride may be announced before too long so get yourself over to that..! Pop your name up in the Rideouts section saying you fancy a spin in the week. Plenty of people up for an afternoon or evening ride now the weather isn't brass monkeys :)

In any case, I wasn't attacking you in any way. Just sayin' that what your asking is generally from people who ride their own area and people don't tend to post stuff on that, with reviews.

Otherwise it's just a kneejerk reaction to an overall experience which is so subjective, hence my reivew which in hindsight wasn't a full and proper reflection on everything I wanted to say but you can't rabbit on for 20 mins about your findings as people just switch over and your wasting your time...!

Enjoy your riding @GridNorth , welcome to the community and hope to meet you one day :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use gopro to video mtb windsurfing and kayaking.....see you tube channel *mikerbwind".....and yes most are not designed to be informative or instructional. I have done some instructional windsurf videos but am not pro enough to assume that ability for mtb! My videos are primarilly for me and my mates....anyone else is welcome and they can post a question if they want.
There is a danger with gopro that you spend more time thinking about making a video than enjoying the ride ......hence most just awitch it on a forget it until the end.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
What sort of video do people want 'normal people' to make about (e)MTBs?

We're not going to be able to emulate GMBN/EMBN. And I think we have enough BKXC and Singletrack Sampler lifestyle channels.

So what does that leave? Personally I'd like to see more adventure, bikepacking content. Normal people doing the stuff we could do given a spare long weekend.

D

Deleted member 2899

I have come to realise that many people use media channels like YouTube simply as a convenient file storage facility. I mistakenly thought it was a semi professional publishing/broadcasting facility. I still stand by my advice though to perhaps provide some context and information. It can't be that hard. Just start recording before and after the ride.

D

Deleted member 2899

*sigh*

As above
Oh dear it's you again. You really are a bit of a tedious and unhelpful character. Are you like this in real life or am I just suffering from your on-line persona?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Remind us.
Who exactly have you "helped" by starting a thread on an Ebike forum moaning about random youtubers content?

Seriously.
Go and make an interesting and informative video that's actually worth watching. You'll maybe then appreciate how difficult it is.

D

Deleted member 2899

Remind us.
Who exactly have you "helped" by starting a thread on an Ebike forum moaning about random youtubers content?

Seriously.
Go and make an interesting and informative video that's actually worth watching. You'll maybe then appreciate how difficult it is.
To be fair I did provide constructive criticism, it wasn't just a moan. I made suggestions on how they could be improved and they were not exactly complicated suggestions to implement, they were simple suggestions. I'm not denying it's difficult to make a good video but it's obviously very easy to make a poor one. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@GridNorth you really are barking up the wrong tree here. If you don't like the content that's available, have a go yourself and show us how it's done. Until then, STFU and go ride your bike.

Don't make Gary look like the reasonable one here FFS! :ROFLMAO:

If you want to see some good trails in real life I'm happy to show you round the Forest of Dean some time.

D

Deleted member 2899

@GridNorth you really are barking up the wrong tree here. If you don't like the content that's available, have a go yourself and show us how it's done. Until then, STFU and go ride your bike.

Don't make Gary look like the reasonable one here FFS! :ROFLMAO:

If you want to see some good trails in real life I'm happy to show you round the Forest of Dean some time.
I really don't understand why so many people are getting so worked up about this, I'm NOT criticising individuals. Is anyone seriously denying that there are some crap videos out there?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In the past fortnight I have been out and about in the Surrey Hills, and by pure chance and luck every ride I seem to bump into and spend some time with some of the bigger media presences out there.

I got to hang out with Blake from GMBN, and Sam Renolds (incidentally two of the nicest guys you could hope to meet) when they where making a video, and I can tell you they where pretty much spending the whole day (having also filmed the previous day) just to make a 5 minute video, trying to get the shots, and angles, and having to film same thing over and over, and that's not even before you think about how long editing it all together will take. They have one guy filming, and all have to help out, totally not rockstar riders sitting back while a film crew does all the hard work, but a real muck in and get the job done effort.

MBR where out filming too on another day, another bunch of nice guys, and same deal, having to ride trails multiple times, with the cameraman moving each time just to get a decent 20 second stretch of film.

It is incredibly hard to put together any sort of decent riding content, because its actually very hard to decently capture riding, especially if you are doing it by yourself. I know that for @Rob Hancill to put together the quality of content he does, by himself, is a result of weeks of filming and long nights of editing, is actually a hell of a lot of work, and as much a labor of love and determination to put out quality content.

D

Deleted member 2899

And really don't understand how you can say this;

After saying this;

Because that's exactly what you are doing.
Which individual have I criticised? Seriously if you name the individual I'll personally and unequivocally apologise to them. It's not something I would do and haven't on this thread so please be more careful with your accusations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Oh, that's OK then. You haven't named anyone so whitewashing an entire segment of the community is totally fine.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
OMG!

If all you do is strap a camera to your helmet or chest and ride down a trail filming it you are just another nerd on a bike peddling through the trees and in many cases simply stroking your ego by showing off your skills.

In the above statement you've criticised many many individuals. Some of which are actually members here, myself included. I'm not in the slightest "worked up " about it. I simply find your critcism and name calling really odd and your expectations more than a little... erm...

images

D

Deleted member 2899

If I have offended anyone on this forum I apologise.

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
There is a lot of crap film making out there I'm sorry to say. If all you do is strap a camera to your helmet or chest and ride down a trail filming it you are just another nerd on a bike peddling through the trees and in many cases simply stroking your ego by showing off your skills.

Alan

You can stuff all of what you said, and then some. Go make your own video the way you want it to look. I look forward to you complaining about the hours/days it takes to edit the damn thing.

We are riders here, not film makers you arrogant shit.... and in my case, a shitty rider, and I posted a video anyways, because another shitty rider might be able to relate to it.

Now go rent yourself a helicopter and camera crew.

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
Its tough with the MTB vids as most are just folks on a jolly like someone said to film something it might take 5or6 shots of the same thing then on to the next. Then there's editing. I've not done it so I don't know what to do but it's time intensive as my old flatmate was an editor as a hobby and a job eventually.

Probably 95% of trail videos are just that... Trail videos...

I'd love to get a camera and go out and do videos. But things are delayed due to monies spent on the new bike.

New bike to review tho! ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A sobering message to anyone who uses a forum just to have a moan about something! On a more positive note here are a few tips for anyone that likes to make videos of their rides that can make those videos more enjoyable to watch....if only for themselves.
1. Mount the camera as low as possible and try to get both the trail and the handlebars in the frame. For those of us that dont wear a full face helmet a chest mount is best.
2. Use a gimbal or a camera with good video stabilisation.
3. Use a fast framerate and moderate resolution...preferably one in a 4:3 format. E.g. I use 1440 @50 fps.
4. If you are riding with a mate who also has a camera, combine the video from both cameras in one video.
5. Learn to use a good video editor. There are a few really good ones that are freeware.
6. Always tether the camera and make sure if you crash you will not suffer injury from the camera....and preferably the camera is reasonably protected as well.
7. Stop recording at regular intervals....that ensures each clip is saved and makes editing much easier.
8. Keep in mind that you really do not want a video longer than 10 minutes so be choosy about what you record. Reducing 2 hours of video to 10 minutes in an editor is a big job!
9. Consider taking with you a tiny tripod or clamp mount so you can fix the camera by the side of a trail...e.g by a drop off or ramp.....and ride past. A camera with built in lcd screen helps here so you can get the right framing. For these shots you could set a much faster framerate so you could do a smooth slomo in the editor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles