New EMTB Owner - What tools do I need?

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Hi Guys,

I am counting down the minutes to Thursday evening when I pick me my 2019 Specialized Levo. I have not owned a mountain bike in 20 years & it’s safe to say things have changed a huge amount, the level of detail in the advice I have already been given about (what I thought) would be very simple is staggering/impressive.

I don’t have any bike specific tools, but do have a fairly decent DIY style man cave. I have tried to work out what kind of tools I will need to keep on top of maintenance (I love playing with, modding & cleaning things), but so far all the bike specific kits you can buy seem to have different tools & would mean buying things I already have in some cases. So what will I actually need?

Crank tools?
Chain tools?
Sprocket tools?
Work station?
Lubes/oils?

Where do I start?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Marf

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Chain whip, cassette tool, motor sprocket tool, chain wear guage , chain rivet tool Allen keys, tyre levers and shock pump are essential.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Chain whip, cassette tool, motor sprocket tool, chain wear guage , chain rivet tool Allen keys, tyre levers and shock pump are essential.
That’s brilliant, thanks Russell. Any votes on brands to go for or avoid?

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Not really but cheap chain tools are a waste of time so I would recommend buying a quality one

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Pretty much do most of the general maintenance with the following.
Allen keys, torx keys, chain wear gauge, quick link pliers, chain breaker tool, chain whip cassette tool, spoke wrench, Tyre pump, shock pump.

The following comes in handy if you need to take things further.
Torque wrench, Brake bleed kit, syringe, soft mallet, pick, 8 notch bottom bracket tool, 2 jaw gear puller.

If you want to go all out add.
Wheel truing stand, spoke torque wrench derailleur hanger straightener, bearing puller and press.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Muc Off Dry and Wet Lube. It is awesome. Probably only need the dry lube at the moment but they usually do a deal on both:

Muc-Off Bio Dry Lube 120ml | Tredz Bikes

I use the ParkTool chain cleaner. There are cheaper ones out there but they aren't as robust!

Park Tool CG2.3 ChainGang Cleaning System | Tredz Bikes

+1 to the Shock Pump. Get a digital one as you can tweak things a lot easier:

Giant Control Mini Shock 0 Pump | Tredz Bikes

Lidl/Aldi do microfibre cloths real cheap! Lidl/Aldi are also doing a bike stand at the moment cheap which holds my Expert fine. I use a bike bar to hold it in place rather than the seat tube or clamp the carbon frame!! Also use the bike bar on my rear bike rack so its a Win/Win.

I'd go tubeless as well. Get the bikeshop to do that for you if you don't want to as it can be messy and a real pain if you havent done it before...

I've got a link to all the kit I use if you want I'll PM you :)

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Muc Off Dry and Wet Lube. It is awesome. Probably only need the dry lube at the moment but they usually do a deal on both:

Muc-Off Bio Dry Lube 120ml | Tredz Bikes

I use the ParkTool chain cleaner. There are cheaper ones out there but they aren't as robust!

Park Tool CG2.3 ChainGang Cleaning System | Tredz Bikes

+1 to the Shock Pump. Get a digital one as you can tweak things a lot easier:

Giant Control Mini Shock 0 Pump | Tredz Bikes

Lidl/Aldi do microfibre cloths real cheap! Lidl/Aldi are also doing a bike stand at the moment cheap which holds my Expert fine. I use a bike bar to hold it in place rather than the seat tube or clamp the carbon frame!! Also use the bike bar on my rear bike rack so its a Win/Win.

I'd go tubeless as well. Get the bikeshop to do that for you if you don't want to as it can be messy and a real pain if you havent done it before...

I've got a link to all the kit I use if you want I'll PM you :)
That would be hugely helpful, thanks a lot. I asked the shop about converting to tubeless & they were funny about it, should they be happy to do this for me & at what kind of cost?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Going tubeless is easier than you would think according to some accounts in the media. I agree that when it goes wrong it can be an irritating, frustrating, complete swear fest. But that is usually people trying to convert non-tubeless tyres with non-tubeless rims, without the correct equipment. In other words they are setting themselves up to fail. :eek:

Read up on the subject and then do what is advised, ignore all "ghetto conversions" until you have some experience. Give yourself a fighting chance and take advice. Then it's easy. :)

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Going tubeless is easier than you would think according to some accounts in the media. I agree that when it goes wrong it can be an irritating, frustrating, complete swear fest. But that is usually people trying to convert non-tubeless tyres with non-tubeless rims, without the correct equipment. In other words they are setting themselves up to fail. :eek:

Read up on the subject and then do what is advised, ignore all "ghetto conversions" until you have some experience. Give yourself a fighting chance and take advice. Then it's easy. :)
Thanks mate

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
. I asked the shop about converting to tubeless & they were funny about it, should they be happy to do this for me & at what kind of cost?

A tubeless conversion can be a PR nightmare for a bike shop. Most of the time it's a simple matter of whipping out the tubes, putting in the new valve, some gunk, slipping on the tyre and inflating. So everyone expects this to be thrown in with a new purchase or done for minimal cost. Then when things go wrong, the customer can be left with slow leaks , goop oozing out of weird places, valves that clog with gunk, random flat tyres that refuse to re inflate.

If it's your first tubeless conversion, the shop really should be having the tubeless love and care discussion - never leave the valve at the top for fear of clogging it with goop, be prepared for pressure drops over the first few rides, make sure you refresh the gloop every few months, cross your legs and squint after plugging big punctures , and pray to satan that the tyre doesn't stick to your rims, get sliced by a rock, and leave you trackside with no way to fit the spare tube you didn't bother carrying. Did you get all that the first time, because the shop also has to teach you care and love of the fancy new electric stuff they don't understand AND the basics of living with a modern dual suspension bike.

Just do the tubeless conversion yourself - you'll learn every possible permutation of ways to stuff it up. Or it'll be easy and you'll forever wonder what the big deal was.

Disclaimer - 2 years ago the lbs did a free tubeless conversion on my norco optic. After a month of daily flats I took the bike back, we spent over an hour removing tyres, inspecting rims, trying multiple different brands of valves, two different brands of sealant.....then another 6 months with random flat tyres later I noticed a microscopic split in the rim tape. Air / goop would slowly leak through this split, down a spoke, then inside the rim to escape from the valve. NORCO had stuffed up the " tubeless ready" job, but I'm been blaming the lbs. A pr nightmare.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Because of original equipment rim tape failures, I now always replace the rim tape on any new bike I buy. I use Gorilla tape instead. It never fails and it looks really cool compared to the shiny plasticy carp the manufacturers use.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yup I went ghetto and used gorilla tape and works great and a lot cheaper.

If they are being funny it’s probably as other have mentioned. I took my first eBike to the shop I bought it from to have it made tubeless after 6 months of use and he couldn’t get the rim to seal. I doubt you’ll have an issue. You just need compressor or an air cartridge to get the bead to seal if it’s a new tyre. Loads of videos online showing you how to do it.

Let us know how you get on with your bike..be prepared for many happy days!!

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Yup I went ghetto and used gorilla tape and works great and a lot cheaper.

If they are being funny it’s probably as other have mentioned. I took my first eBike to the shop I bought it from to have it made tubeless after 6 months of use and he couldn’t get the rim to seal. I doubt you’ll have an issue. You just need compressor or an air cartridge to get the bead to seal if it’s a new tyre. Loads of videos online showing you how to do it.

Let us know how you get on with your bike..be prepared for many happy days!!

That’s great Thanks Jonny. I am buzzing...can’t wait!!!!

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
That would be hugely helpful, thanks a lot. I asked the shop about converting to tubeless & they were funny about it, should they be happy to do this for me & at what kind of cost?
Well, Rutland suggested it as the way to go and they will supply new bike ready converted.Why was the shop funny about it, did they say?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As others have said, re do the rim tape or get the shop to do it if going tubeless and your rims are taped out the factory - may all be fine but its the easiest bit to screw up

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
The standard roval wheels that come on the levo dont require tape, they are tubeless wheels with no spoke holes. Just fit the valve, seat the tyre, inject the fluid and inflate

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Starting from scratch, I’d have

multitool
spare chain and chain breaker. chain wear measure.
quick link and quick link tool.
spare tube, even if tubeless. tyre levers
floor pump (canister pump) for tubeless), trail pump (or CO2) and patch kit plus tyre boot if tubeless.
tubless goop, valves, plug kit.
spare mech hanger.
shock pump.
dry lube. bike and chain cleaner. brushes.

Gordon

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
Hi Guys,

I am counting down the minutes to Thursday evening when I pick me my 2019 Specialized Levo. I have not owned a mountain bike in 20 years & it’s safe to say things have changed a huge amount, the level of detail in the advice I have already been given about (what I thought) would be very simple is staggering/impressive.

I don’t have any bike specific tools, but do have a fairly decent DIY style man cave. I have tried to work out what kind of tools I will need to keep on top of maintenance (I love playing with, modding & cleaning things), but so far all the bike specific kits you can buy seem to have different tools & would mean buying things I already have in some cases. So what will I actually need?

Crank tools?
Chain tools?
Sprocket tools?
Work station?
Lubes/oils?

Where do I start?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Marf
Hi Marf,

Agree with all others. Just an addition for the e bike. Not enough emphasis was put on the chain wear when I got mine so check after every clean to begin with to get an idea with a chain gauge. Stick with original chain when changing. I thought I’d go for a specific ebike chain when re newing a few months ago and it snapped on the 12th mile. Bought original and have just completed 100 miles so far with no problems.It took my Di2 rear mech out so that was an expensive learning curve.

The other defo is a mech hanger re alignment tool if you haven’t got one already.

Rib protection ?

All the best.

Si

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Hi Marf,

Agree with all others. Just an addition for the e bike. Not enough emphasis was put on the chain wear when I got mine so check after every clean to begin with to get an idea with a chain gauge. Stick with original chain when changing. I thought I’d go for a specific ebike chain when re newing a few months ago and it snapped on the 12th mile. Bought original and have just completed 100 miles so far with no problems.It took my Di2 rear mech out so that was an expensive learning curve.

The other defo is a mech hanger re alignment tool if you haven’t got one already.

Rib protection ?

All the best.

Si
Ouch that doesn’t sound good.

Realignment tool, never heard of them haha, I’ll have a look.

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
Ouch that doesn’t sound good.

Realignment tool, never heard of them haha, I’ll have a look.

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.
I use this , park tool is a bit more dosh but is a solid bit of kit. If your gear change is a bit off this is the first thing to check with. Plenty of vids on YouTube.

Useful for all your other bikes also.

Hope this helps.

Si

Park Tool DAG-2.2 Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge Tool

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
+1 for Rob protection!! It’s a must..I use this one: Leatt 3DF Airfit

A lot of money but its soft and hardens on impact. You barely realise your wearing it and the front chest protector is a great platform for your GoPro Chesty :) Saved my bacon more than once!!

You can remove all the protection and add more or take it out. Usually ride with the back protector out.

I've bent my hangar once but personally I take that to the shop to be re-done as usually that buggers my gears as well..! Usually do it all for a Tenner..

Does anyone know where to get spare Mech Hangars online??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles