The What Annoyed Me Today Thread - A Place To Rant

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
This annoyed me today. A trail we regularly ride in our local woods. Few people even know this place exists we don’t dig or cut trees it’s just a natural trail . Someone had gone to some effort to put large branches across the trail in lots of places and some rocks right in the blind spot of a drop. Never had any problems with any of the people I have seen in these woods . What is wrong with people

34B14A85-519E-49DD-A4A1-5183089A3297.jpeg

97784DDB-C9C8-4852-A962-8FF8F3098B03.jpeg

D74F218E-BFF1-451B-9543-FA59C4B87D24.jpeg

987F0F96-4070-4F00-85B6-7B713FD2227B.jpeg

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
This annoyed me today. A trail we regularly ride in our local woods. Few people even know this place exists we don’t dig or cut trees it’s just a natural trail . Someone had gone to some effort to put large branches across the trail in lots of places and some rocks right in the blind spot of a drop. Never had any problems with any of the people I have seen in these woods . What is wrong with people

View attachment 10934

View attachment 10935

View attachment 10936

View attachment 10937
Absolutely mental. As you say, what is wrong with people? Why would someone go to so much trouble purely to stop other people’s enjoyment?

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Over the years we've had a lot of this at cannock. We call the culprit "Stickman" even though there's more than one of them doing it, as you can tell from the quality of brashing. A seasoned stickman will put big logs or really twiggy branches across a trail and at more frequent intervals. the novice will put the occasional small branch. so small its more of a twig with a ego problem. these cause no inconvenience as you can ride straight over them with no wheel lift or change of pace required. they also space them much further apart.

Generally we think of these to be walkers. but we did have one instance where a trail got repeatedly brashed. so much that if it was cleared say in the afternoon, then by evening it would be brashed again. This happend so often that some of those responsible for the trail or at least clearing it, put a notebook and pencil at the end of the trail asking why it was being brashed. The reply did come and that there were badger sets in that particular wood and the trail went to close to them.
this trail was not de-brashed any more and left alone.

for the most part i think it is people who just have the hump. occasionally they have a reason.

we sometimes get the foresty commision brashing trails if there working in that area. but the brashing seems to have calmed down a lot now, at least in the areas i tend to ride in.

Just to be clear, I'm not condoning any brashing.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Absolutely mental. As you say, what is wrong with people? Why would someone go to so much trouble purely to stop other people’s enjoyment?
I guess they see tyre tracks in the mud and perceive that as causing damage to the environment . That is all we leave tyre tracks , when I go there after a few days it’s all covered in leaves again and invisible . If we were cutting down trees etc I would understand It’s not even managed woodland it’s natural growth on what was a huge mine years ago . The top part of trail is used by horses but no one complains about the way they tear up the ground , plus there’s open grazing with sheep cows and ponies wondering where they like , I guess were just seen as an alien in that environment, in some ways a bit like racism

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Over the years we've had a lot of this at cannock. We call the culprit "Stickman" even though there's more than one of them doing it, as you can tell from the quality of brashing. A seasoned stickman will put big logs or really twiggy branches across a trail and at more frequent intervals. the novice will put the occasional small branch. so small its more of a twig with a ego problem. these cause no inconvenience as you can ride straight over them with no wheel lift or change of pace required. they also space them much further apart.

Generally we think of these to be walkers. but we did have one instance where a trail got repeatedly brashed. so much that if it was cleared say in the afternoon, then by evening it would be brashed again. This happend so often that some of those responsible for the trail or at least clearing it, put a notebook and pencil at the end of the trail asking why it was being brashed. The reply did come and that there were badger sets in that particular wood and the trail went to close to them.
this trail was not de-brashed any more and left alone.

for the most part i think it is people who just have the hump. occasionally they have a reason.

we sometimes get the foresty commision brashing trails if there working in that area. but the brashing seems to have calmed down a lot now, at least in the areas i tend to ride in.

Just to be clear, I'm not condoning any brashing.
Good idea , but why don’t the Stickmen just begin by pinning up a notice , if there is a good reason to not ride then most would respect it

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
Some asshole revving their BMW M4 behind me as much as they could, then passing as close as they could in a 30 zone, then speeding ahead of my Grandfather and I.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On the subject of stickmen, we get a bit of that round here, but it tends to be local farmers tying to stop the local travelers using their dirt bikes on the bridleways and tracks/footpaths. A couple of years ago they where going up them at night time and trashing the place on quad bikes etc, and leaving a lot of rubbish, and several crashed bikes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When the MBR Forum was live, there was a period where person or persons unknown were stretching wire across the trails at a height to catch bikers across the throat! As far as I know, although several riders were injured and quite a few wires were detected, nobody was ever caught. The publicity rose to such a point that it must have scared off those responsible because it just stopped.

gunshot72

Jan 13, 2019
Rushden, UK
When the MBR Forum was live, there was a period where person or persons unknown were stretching wire across the trails at a height to catch bikers across the throat! As far as I know, although several riders were injured and quite a few wires were detected, nobody was ever caught. The publicity rose to such a point that it must have scared off those responsible because it just stopped.

I’m aware of this issue for green lane motorcyclists as well. Deadly when your doing 40mph.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Someone had gone to some effort to put large branches across the trail in lots of places and some rocks right in the blind spot of a drop.

Someone did this to us in Dorset a few years back, at the bottom of a 2m floater into a gravelled area. I spotted the breeze block while in mid air, but not quick enough to save wheel, forks or face. Lots of blood, stitches and money thanks to some imbecile, but it could've been a lot worse.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a 6' blind drop on an off-piste area at Sherwood Pines (a UK trail centre). It is very close to a footpath and I always check it before riding the feature, ever since I found a large log at the bottom. Bar stewards! :mad:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Judging by that dog egg on the chainstay it's probably inside the cases as well.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
F#*king irresponsible f#*king dog owners! My bike is shiny but I have shit splattered up the frame, crank arms and at least 4 in the tyres.

View attachment 11393
Urgh ffs. I urge the human population, stop getting mobile shit machines!
Disagree, just clean up after them. It's that simple. It frustrates the f#ck out of me seeing shite everywhere. How do I not see it in action I'd give them a right round of f#cks

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The gods didn't want me to ride today. Couldn't seat a new tyre yesterday for love or money. Gave up and put a Minion back on. This morning loaded the Landrover and noticed a flat tyre. After changing and dropping that in for repair got to trail head and realised I hadn't charged my battery and the spare was at home, plugged into the charger. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!

Got one lap in on eco.

First world problems....

Gordon

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
Disagree, just clean up after them. It's that simple. It frustrates the f#ck out of me seeing shite everywhere. How do I not see it in action I'd give them a right round of f#cks

Well at least they should vet potential dog owners. Maybe some kind of licence.

The dog also gets taken away from the owner if they are caught not picking up their mess.

The reason I went so draconian on the issue is because extra measures can never be truly enforced.

I hate all this political crap anyway, excuse the pun.

Even if everyone had a go pro on them, it still requires extra work for the police, who are stretched as it is.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
WAMT: got my bike out of the garage just now and I have no back brake. Nothing. Nada. Drop the wheel and pull the pads. One is worn down to the metal and the other is barely worn. Hmm. Look at the caliper and one (yeah, povvo spec 2 pots) is fully extended and the other is fully retracted meaning it's likely jammed. Bugger.

On the bright side, there's no dog shit on my bike. :ROFLMAO:

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Dog owners should have to prove they have their own shit area for the dog before being allowed to buy......a nearby bridle path should be renamed "Dog Shit Ally " judging by the dog walkers on there today....
Mind you some of the mud I slid around on today was churned up by horses and included an amount of horse shit as well... although I'd rather be splattered with horse shit than dog poo

Why arnt horse riders made to clean up after them like dog owners? ...and on that subject what is the point of bagging the dog poo and then flinging the lot into the trees!!! better not to clean up as it soon degrades anyway.
We are all doomed ........:poop: but have fun on the way.:cool:

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
The gods didn't want me to ride today. Couldn't seat a new tyre yesterday for love or money. Gave up and put a Minion back on. This morning loaded the Landrover and noticed a flat tyre. After changing and dropping that in for repair got to trail head and realised I hadn't charged my battery and the spare was at home, plugged into the charger. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!

Got one lap in on eco.

First world problems....

Gordon
Sometimes it just makes sense to go to the pub.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Another day, another motor failure. :mad: At least it explains why my range has plummeted recently. :cry:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes, but it's still a pain in the arse. There are several options open to me;
1. Take it back to supplying dealer. Pro: free. Con: slow, if last time is anything to go by.
2. Take it to Bosch Service Centre at RaceCo. Pro: Quick. Con: not local, possibly not free.
3. Take it to Bosch Service Centre at Dean Forest Cycles. Pro: Easy, I'm at the FoD most weekends so I can just leave it with them. Con: timescale unknown, hopefully under a week, £30 charge to cover diagnostic work not covered by Bosch.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Yes, but it's still a pain in the arse. There are several options open to me;
1. Take it back to supplying dealer. Pro: free. Con: slow, if last time is anything to go by.
2. Take it to Bosch Service Centre at RaceCo. Pro: Quick. Con: not local, possibly not free.
3. Take it to Bosch Service Centre at Dean Forest Cycles. Pro: Easy, I'm at the FoD most weekends so I can just leave it with them. Con: timescale unknown, hopefully under a week, £30 charge to cover diagnostic work not covered by Bosch.
Think I'd go with option 3 Dom ?

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
£30 to just plugin the pc and let it go through its diagnostics. They must be charging for a full hour not for how long it takes. If anything like a shimano diognostics done by a bike shop it should take 15mins tops and thats including setting up a computer to do the job.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles