YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
I ordered the DECOY CF Pro Race, I think it will suit the terrain here in Norway great :). I always end up kitting my bikes up but this one looks complete from start, will be interesting to test a bike with 27.5+ rear and 29, today I ride a Mondraker e-crafty XR with 27.5+ but I think the stearing is not very precise

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
For the battery experts out there! I know it has a stock slightly bigger battery 540wa, but according to some of the videos it is using 21,700 cells instead of the current 18500 cells. What are the real world benefits?
Significantly better range?
Faster charge?
Longer life?
Thanks,

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1554061883208.png

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
For the battery experts out there! I know it has a stock slightly bigger battery 540wa, but according to some of the videos it is using 21,700 cells instead of the current 18500 cells. What are the real world benefits?
Significantly better range?
Faster charge?
Longer life?
Thanks,

Basically individual 18650 cells are limited to 3900mAh and as Amps are the main draw for power it stands to reason that a higher Amp rating will provide more power capability per cell. However on the other end 18650 cells can be rated well below the highest and it is up to the battery manufacturer to decide what works best for their system. That is why some brands have the same size battery enclosure but list different wh's because the individual cells are lesser mAh but the same amount used.

2170 cells are marginally bigger/heavier per cell and start at over 4000mAh up to 5000mAh. Due to their higher Amp rating they are capable of a larger current draw for power. A battery enclosure that is almost the same size as an 18650 battery will have less cells and more wh's. Also because they are not working as hard if run at lower power levels they will provide more range in theory. However due to their larger diameter and increased weight there is not really any weight savings over 18650 cells. But their increase in ability to dis-charge and also take a higher rate of charge is attractive enough so that they are making their way into the eBike market.

The top end Levo 700wh battery has 2170 cells as well as the Flyon. BMZ is a major proponent of 2170 cells having partnered with LG and a major supplier to eBike brands so look for more in the future.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
For anyone with experience, is di2 shifting worth the cost? Does it help reduce drivetrain wear? Is the shifter position change more or less ergonomic? I definitely like the idea, but don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra $ just to experiment.

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
For anyone with experience, is di2 shifting worth the cost? Does it help reduce drivetrain wear? Is the shifter position change more or less ergonomic?
I have Di2 & I don't see the point, I have never had a problem with normal shifters but I'm now scared I'm going to rip out the thin cable on a branch or something, can't say I notice any benefit over regular XT either. Shimano do a couple of shifter options, a standard thumb shifter which is pretty much the same as the non Di & one with buttons which I have never used so can't comment.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I like the use of the e7000 DI2 controller from an innovation point of view as seems few brands are willing to look at using alternatives to the standard controller, but personally if I wanted to look at a "button" option I would go for the SW-E6010R option which sits in a far more ergonomic position, yet also maintains the minimal look

SW-E6010-R

13821-0-full-swe6010l-38.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Does it help reduce drivetrain wear?
No.
if anything.. it will do the opposite as you no longer have fine control over how far you shift the downshift paddle and "ease" or "overshift" the mech with your thumb control/cable pull. Di2 removes that decision/control from you. when everything is perfect. Di2 does it's job well. remove the perfection (misaligned hanger, manky jockeys, debris etc.) and it'll still blindly shift the mechs parallelogram exactly the same. If you've ever done a ride where it's been so manky you occasionally have to overshift to get a clean down shift you'll get what I mean.

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Basically individual 18650 cells are limited to 3900mAh and as Amps are the main draw for power it stands to reason that a higher Amp rating will provide more power capability per cell. However on the other end 18650 cells can be rated well below the highest and it is up to the battery manufacturer to decide what works best for their system. That is why some brands have the same size battery enclosure but list different wh's because the individual cells are lesser mAh but the same amount used.

2170 cells are marginally bigger/heavier per cell and start at over 4000mAh up to 5000mAh. Due to their higher Amp rating they are capable of a larger current draw for power. A battery enclosure that is almost the same size as an 18650 battery will have less cells and more wh's. Also because they are not working as hard if run at lower power levels they will provide more range in theory. However due to their larger diameter and increased weight there is not really any weight savings over 18650 cells. But their increase in ability to dis-charge and also take a higher rate of charge is attractive enough so that they are making their way into the eBike market.

The top end Levo 700wh battery has 2170 cells as well as the Flyon. BMZ is a major proponent of 2170 cells having partnered with LG and a major supplier to eBike brands so look for more in the future.
Excellent post, just one addition... The 2170 cells can also receive faster charges (higher currents) without damage than their smaller cousins, presumably because IR is lower and therefore temperature increase when on charge/discharge at a given current is lower.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Durr. Stupid attachments.

Last edited:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I used to have Di2 on my road bikes......great system and the auto trim function worked pretty well.
Things I liked, smooth gear selection, auto trim function was spot on, easy to set up and fully programmable with a special USB lead and your computer.

Things I din't like: was charging, there was something else to worry about. Although, needed charging aprox every 600-700 miles it wasn't a big deal and the system was clever enough to automatically change your shifting to an easier gear before was completely shut off.

Not sure how would benefit on an MB though. My take for have used it on my road bike, I don't think I would want it on my Levo. Is a quite a sensible unit so in the trails with mud, stones and dust I think there would be many issues with it.

Just my 2 drachma ;)

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I've used DI2 on ebikes and there are a few benefits though it depends on the user if they see each feature as a benefit or not.
to get the most out of Di2 it is best used with a shimano motor as this allows full integration with the system.

1) when changing gears the system automaticly backs off the motor slightly

2) There does seem to be a connection between the power output of the motor and the use of Di2 gears. so far i have only noticed this in walk mode (and so have others on here) but a low gear in walk mode gives way more assistance than a non Di2 equipped ebike (I have tried both)

3) if impacted the mech will try and put itself into protection mode and disengage the motor in the mech trying to minimise damage (how useful this is i don't know)

4) It shows your gear in the shimano display (A lot of people wont like this but for me it was the one feature i missed when going to a non Di2 bike).

Now would i make Di2 a factor in choosing a bike, no, the main advantage for me is the little number in the corner of the display that tells me my current gear. (I don't know if the e7000 display has this). The extra power in walk mode is nice to though im not sure this is a decision maker as I have not had to walk mode a non Di2 ebike much yet.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
This YT really is a great looking bike, at an excellent price too.

Made me think twice about cancelling my Levo S-Works I have on order just on looks alone, and my ideal bike is somewhere between these 2 in geometry & travel :unsure:

What I like:
Looks, frame layout (I'm a big fan of Jeffsy & Capra), stand-over height, mixed wheel sizes, spec,

What I am not sure about:
1. Buying someone's first attempt at an eMTB - after all Specialized has designed and built eMTBs for a long time, and has a well resourced eMTB specific design centre, and yet still had issues with the early 2019 Levo's!

2. Designing their own battery / BMS / power system when they have never done this before. I may want to give them a season to iron out any issues.

3. Shimano E8000 - yes I know it is a great motor system, but I'm just not a fan. I think that though 70Nm was a lot in 2016 when it was first announced, the current trend is to way more than that now (Brose, Rocky Mountain, Flyon, Panasonic, etc.), and I think this will age the bike quickly.

4. Not sure how firmware upgrades etc are done with the 'direct to consumer' approach.

5. And a biggie........No BLEvo!

Anyway, as expected, YT certainly seem to have executed this well, so good luck to them. I think it will sell well.
Wise words (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hmm - I am not that far from PDS when they are doing the demo there, now that would be a place to give one a try

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Will they have Decoys do you know?
Maybe just limited sizes/models seeing as availability dates for many models are not sceduled until after the tour.

Hmm - I am not that far from PDS when they are doing the demo there, now that would be a place to give one a try
Definitely a bonus to be able to ride uphill on Passports weekend too and section stuff.
I sacked off riding at mid day on the day of Passports last year 'cause I couldn't be arsed with the massive queues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles