What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
No he doesn’t offend me. I just don’t take the bait.
That’s the problem Alistair , Gary is on just about every thread dominating with strong opinion telling people they wrong , and I think there’s a lot who don’t bother to get envolved for that reason , its beginning to dominate the forum and it’s getting quieter .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm tempted, but knowing my luck it'll never rain again if I buy one... :LOL:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I put a 29er 2.35 on my analogue bike about 2 years ago and it has been off for about 2 weeks since, brilliant all rounders IMO and I don't find them particularly draggy either.

JKG53

Apr 3, 2018
North Wales
I've ended up putting Michelin AM Force 2.35" on the front and rear of my Haibike hardtail, and I've gone tubeless for the first time. Tyres give a much more cushioned ride than my previous 2.1" winter tyres, and give good grip in the dry stone trails I've used.
I've also bought a AM Wild 2.35" which I plan to use on the front in wetter conditions.

I don't ride trail centres much, more into relaxed bridleways and forest roads.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What are you using on the rear?

Raceco Cycles in Stourbridge are doing MM 2.6 for £45.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Interesting , chatting to guy with a kinevo at the weekend , he had changed to 2.6 magic Mary and said it was lots better than the original 2.8 butcher less drag more grip more speed ? Makes choosing even more of a maze , but a pattern emerges , everyone seems to love the Mary in a 2.6

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Would like to see a 2.6 Mary next to a 2.8 Minion to see if there is much difference in width.
What’s the verdict on the new Addix compounds, are they more durable than the previous offerings?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
As it happens I have a 2.8 Minion DHR on the back so will be able to do a direct width comparison to the 2.6 MM on 30mm rims when ot turns up.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do any sort of ride review for another 6 weeks as I hit a tree stump and high sided myself off my E-Sommet head first into a tree at the weekend. Lucky to be stretchered away with a fractured vertebrae to be honest!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Would like to see a 2.6 Mary next to a 2.8 Minion to see if there is much difference in width.
What’s the verdict on the new Addix compounds, are they more durable than the previous offerings?
We have both mm is a bit smaller but not by much couple of mil

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
As it happens I have a 2.8 Minion DHR on the back so will be able to do a direct width comparison to the 2.6 MM on 30mm rims when ot turns up.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do any sort of ride review for another 6 weeks as I hit a tree stump and high sided myself off my E-Sommet head first into a tree at the weekend. Lucky to be stretchered away with a fractured vertebrae to be honest!

Wasn’t you at Boltby was it? There was a very similar incident on race day......

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

Ouch! GWS!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Ouch Dave that not good , hope you recover well .

I’ve been trying to gather a few width measurements of various tyres , the 2.8 butcher on the kinevo was 73mm , my 2.6 high rollers are 68mm that’s both on 35mm rims
Iam keen to find out what a Mary measures ,

Oh and the aggressor I have I lent to daughters boyfriend as a spare for the EWS , he ended up using it as they needed bigger tyres , and said it was a very good tyre and popular at the event , so great to get some decent feedback on that finally .

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
2.6 MM and 2.8 minion dhr
mm is 63.5mm minion is 65.5mm wide
mm.jpg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
It was heading into the purple jumps but was actually just a crash caused by inattention- i didn't see a tree stump at the edge of the trail, hit my pedal on it really hard and got highsided headfirst into a tree in the blink of an eye. Was unlucky how it all lined up but also could have happened anywhere

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Same set up us I'll be running then ccrdave - I have the 2.8 3C Exo minion on the back and the addix soft ebike specific MM on the way. How are you liking it?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Im not running it like that I have two minion dhr's on my bike, the MM 2.6 are on my wifes bike
she really likes them, shes going to do the Malverns ebike enduro with them
It worth considering if you put a minion on the back and the 2.6 MM on the front you will steepen the head angle a little due to the slightly smaller diameter of the MM. it is only a tiny bit though.
I will put the 2.6 MM's on my bike if and when it gets wet again

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What compound Magic Marys are people using? Soft or Speedgrip?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
We have the soft ones in 2.6 and in 2.8 one soft one speedgrip (blue line)
2.6 turning out to be a cracking tyre, 2.8 is too big at least for me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles