Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You actually think most people are more interested in what you are going to do with your bike than how warranty is handled on a 5000 € bike?
Yes. Gary has a unique "style" and we don't always see eye to eye but he does seem to know his stuff.

@Gary I'm interested in the mods you're planning. The narrower tyres are a no brainer for you, but I'm more interested in why you don't think the "moto" wheel set will suit you.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are you sure?

The website says;
1553971381467.png

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
You guys don’t see the mixed fad coming?? Mark my words this will be the next big thing over the coming seasons on all categories of bikes. It is about a lot more that short chainstays. The 29er front wheels adds so much stability and cornering traction and the 27.5 rear maintains flickability, bike control and bum clearance on the steeps. I’ve been doing it for years and absolutely love it! Wants some empiracle evidence? UCI removed the 40 year ban on two wheels of different diameter on 10/2/18. The very first EWS race with the new rules (last weeks ewsnz) Martin Maes won every single stage on a mixed wheel size bike! That’s a first in ews history. Another empiracle study done by the bike maker Liteville discovered 80% of the increased roll over provided by larger wheels comes from the front wheel. So mixing is like having your cake and eating it too. It’s brilliant y’all.

Totally agree with you. I ride my Levo with 29 front and 27.5 rear and like it a lot. Definitely the best setup for my riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's really all just down to my own personal preference Dom.
Coming from DJ and old skool DH background I'm more of a #264LYF type of rider. Sort of the opposite of a lot of new skool enduro/trail rider with their super long super stable (but less nimble) bikes and riding styles
I'm 5'11" so not exactly tall and just don't get on with 29er mtbs at all. I can ride them (possibly actually faster in many situations) but I just can't stand the lean in the higher axle and larger diameter wheels gives when turning/changing direction. It's far more of an enjoyment preference than anything to do with the larger wheels performance in covering ground fast for me.
I'd also far rather have a mismatch in suspension travel (in favour of more up front) over less fork travel and a larger diameter front wheel. this also allows more scope for finetuning of ride height via suspension settings.

We don't ride "Moto" bikes (proper engine ones). they'd actually be worse for the sort of riding I tend to do and aren't designed to. I've always run a grippier front tyre up front. (since the early days of BMX) which means either a softer compound, more aggressive tread, or larger volume (or a combination of the 3) front tyre. The 29 front, 27.5+ rear idea goes against this thinking some what.

plus, as I said earlier in the thread. I can lower and slacken the bike by doing this gaining stability without sacrificing nimbleness

I hope this helps you understand slightly better where I'm coming from

Before anyone brings up Maes (#no_spoilers ;)). He wasn't using a rear plus tyre
He is making the most out of 27.5's smaller diameter for pretty much the same reasons I love 26" in the rear :eek: o_O

:unsure:

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Yes. Gary has a unique "style" and we don't always see eye to eye but he does seem to know his stuff.

@Gary I'm interested in the mods you're planning. The narrower tyres are a no brainer for you, but I'm more interested in why you don't think the "moto" wheel set will suit you.

Gary reminds me a lot of the late Jobst Brandt, who also would have chided me for using the term “chain stretch”. Jobst was the knowledgeable curmudgeon of rec.bicycles.tech and a mentor.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
It's really all just down to my own personal preference Dom.
Coming from DJ and old skool DH background I'm more of a #264LYF type of rider. Sort of the opposite of a lot of new skool enduro/trail rider with their super long super stable (but less nimble) bikes and riding styles
I'm 5'11" so not exactly tall and just don't get on with 29er mtbs at all. I can ride them (possibly actually faster in many situations) but I just can't stand the lean in the higher axle and larger diameter wheels gives when turning/changing direction. It's far more of an enjoyment preference than anything to do with the larger wheels performance in covering ground fast for me.
I'd also far rather have a mismatch in suspension travel (in favour of more up front) over less fork travel and a larger diameter front wheel. this also allows more scope for finetuning of ride height via suspension settings.

We don't ride "Moto" bikes (proper engine ones). they'd actually be worse for the sort of riding I tend to do and aren't designed to. I've always run a grippier front tyre up front. (since the early days of BMX) which means either a softer compound, more aggressive tread, or larger volume (or a combination of the 3) front tyre. The 29 front, 27.5+ rear idea goes against this thinking some what.

plus, as I said earlier in the thread. I can lower and slacken the bike by doing this gaining stability without sacrificing nimbleness

I hope this helps you understand slightly better where I'm coming from

Before anyone brings up Maes (#no_spoilers ;)). He wasn't using a rear plus tyre
He is making the most out of 27.5's smaller diameter for pretty much the same reasons I love 26" in the rear :eek:o_O

:unsure:

Maybe YT will follow your lead and give us that option from the factory.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
YT were great with my Jeffsy, in combination with a great LBS. No major issues, just a few niggles.

My nervousness about the Decoy is buying a first gen product and going through all teething issues, but it just looks so good!!

To be fair to YT, they usually get it right out of the blocks.

Last edited:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
YT were great with my Jeffsy, in combination with a great LBS. No major issues, just a few niggles.

My nervousness about the Decoy is buying a first gen product and going through all teething issues, but it just looks so good!!

So have you ordered one then :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maybe YT will follow your lead and give us that option from the factory.
no. they won't.

plenty YT supported big name slopestyle/Fest etc. riders ride Tues' with 26" wheels.
That'll never be an option to buy either

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I love my YT Jeffsy 29er CF Pro Race, bought it new in 2017 and only ever had reason to contact YT support once. Their response was fast and utterly satisfactory. I think they’re far too mature to simply demand every bike with a whiff of an issue get shipped back to Germany. If I didn’t already have a six month old Levo I’d be all over the Decoy without hesitation like a fat bird on chocolate muffins ??

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
They do look absolutely mint and geo is spot on, there's only 3 things that put me off ordering one;

1 - I'd rather wait for the bigger battery to come as standard
2 - having to unbolt the battery would be a PITA compared to external with a key, I charge mine indoors at least 6 months of the year and I live on the South Coast
3 - In an ideal world I'd like a bottle cage

Totally sold on the mismatched wheels having been on analogue 29ers for years. Looks mint, can't see the warranty issue being any worse than the Vitus I have now (Brexit notwithstanding and I still hope it never happens). Not a fan of E13 wheels either having been bitten before so that's 3 and a half things as the base model doesn't have them. Also have no spare funds currently so that's 4 and a half things. Also Gary has ordered one so I'd have to put up him yapping on about 264lyf or whatever it is every second post on every YT thread for evermore so that's an even five (love you Gazza ?)

Maybe next year.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m also waiting to see how much it’ll be with the 700Wh battery. If they hadn’t hinted about the bigger battery I’d probably be being unnecessarily nice to the long haired general while simultaneously stealing her credit card...

Reactions: Dax

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
pricing is the state’s is higher than I’d expect too. Seems like YT maybe consider themselves a premium brand despite the direct sales model. Most of their bikes sell out, so makes sense to raise the price a bit.
What you've said is probably true mate regarding pricing.

The problem is there are other options., I'll likely buy a Norco Sight instead of this, and they've positioned themselves in a place where a lot of manufacturers can undercut them on pricing with new models. Those Manufacturers might even have shops that offer test rides.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nope. on the upperside of the downtube below the shock.
similar to the position on the Jeffsy
DECOY_Rahmen.jpg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Proper bit of kit though isn't it? Lovely. I bloody love my E-Sommet but it's no looker. Not even with the pink ano I've added....

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Nice to see cage/gear mounts down low.

Not sure on different wheel sizes. Setting the SJ with 29 2.35f and 27.5 2.8r to try out the hybrid wheel size thing.

SwissDH

Mar 5, 2019
Switzerland
This YT really is a great looking bike, at an excellent price too.

Made me think twice about cancelling my Levo S-Works I have on order just on looks alone, and my ideal bike is somewhere between these 2 in geometry & travel :unsure:

What I like:
Looks, frame layout (I'm a big fan of Jeffsy & Capra), stand-over height, mixed wheel sizes, spec,

What I am not sure about:
1. Buying someone's first attempt at an eMTB - after all Specialized has designed and built eMTBs for a long time, and has a well resourced eMTB specific design centre, and yet still had issues with the early 2019 Levo's!

2. Designing their own battery / BMS / power system when they have never done this before. I may want to give them a season to iron out any issues.

3. Shimano E8000 - yes I know it is a great motor system, but I'm just not a fan. I think that though 70Nm was a lot in 2016 when it was first announced, the current trend is to way more than that now (Brose, Rocky Mountain, Flyon, Panasonic, etc.), and I think this will age the bike quickly.

4. Not sure how firmware upgrades etc are done with the 'direct to consumer' approach.

5. And a biggie........No BLEvo!

Anyway, as expected, YT certainly seem to have executed this well, so good luck to them. I think it will sell well.

Last edited:

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
So I ordered an all black CF Pro - like Rob said, it’s a sweet spot without the carbon wheels and Kashima coatings, the 2016 All black analogue Capra CF Pro benefits from the shiny bits. So at some point this year (it won’t be 5th June will it!!) there’ll be a tough choice to make in the bike shed most days....good times indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles