Warranty transfer? Is this normal?

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
The original owner of my Focus Jam2 purchased it new from Rutland Cycling in January this year - it's just over 3 months old.

So in theory, there should be 21 months of warranty left?

Apparently not!

After enquiring with Focus bikes on FB, Focus will only acknowledge warranty claims in the name of the previous owner.

At the moment the bike is working perfectly.....

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The original owner of my Focus Jam2 purchased it new from Rutland Cycling in January this year - it's just over 3 months old.

So in theory, there should be 21 months of warranty left?

Apparently not!

After enquiring with Focus bikes on FB, Focus will only acknowledge warranty claims in the name of the previous owner.

At the moment the bike is working perfectly.....
You're covered as you bought it from a retailer. Your warranty is with Rutland.

EDIT - misread the post. I guess you bought it private?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
wen purchasing a used bike my advise is ask for a copy of the original invoice for check owner legit and waranty purposes... just in case.
If buying in a store check for legal responsability (in Europe I think its 1 year warranty for used items , or at least 6 month if estabelished in the agreement of purchase) .

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
This, unfortunately, is true in a lot of countries. Only the person who originally bought the product has a claim on the warranty, unless otherwise agreed upon. Most people dont seem to know this.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yeah, private purchase. The seller included all the original paperwork.
OK, your consumer rights are less when it comes to a private purchase. To be honest, most good companies will honour warranty. Sucks that Focus wont as it's already built into the price they originally sold the bike at.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
EU general rules:

Second-hand goods
Second–hand goods that you buy from a trader are also covered by the minimum 2-year guarantee. However, goods bought from private individuals are not covered.

In some EU countries, when you buy second-hand goods you can agree with the trader on a guarantee period of less than 2 years. However, it must be no shorter than 1 year and should be made clear at the time of purchase.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
more useful info:

How to get goods repaired, replaced or refunded
The 2-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. If your goods break within these 2 years, the trader always has to provide a solution for you. In some EU countries you also have the right to request a remedy from the manufacturer.

• If your product breaks within the first 6 months, it is assumed that the problem existed when you received the goods, unless the trader can prove otherwise. Therefore, you have the right to a repair or replacement free of charge, or if this turns out to be too difficult or costly, you may be offered a price reduction or your money back.
  • If your product breaks after 6 months, you still have the right to have your goods repaired or replaced for free or, at least, to a price reduction or your money back. However, you may need to prove that the problem existed when you received the goods.

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
At the end of the day companies will be allowing a certain amount of cost for warranty repairs/replacements, based on the average length of ownership for the first owner. If that average length of ownership increases to the warranty duration in all cases then the total cost of replacements will go up, and that will end up increasing the initial purchase price of the bike.

By that logic I guess the only way that we get industry wide transferable warranties is if all the manufacturers do it, otherwise whichever ones do end up less competitive on price (although more competitive in terms of bike resaleability and showing trust in their product).

There are some firms that do transferable warranties I think, fairly sure Turner, Nicolai and also Bird all do.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
All warranties are transferable here in Oz, by law. But you do need the original proof of purchase.

In your case here's what I would do..... Contact the original owner and see if they will assist you *if* you need a warranty claim. Bribe them with beer. That's what we do here.. :) I think most people would be happy to help you out in the unlikely circumstance of an issue.

Gordon

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I know this does not relate to your Focus......

But info for all...

If you buy a secondhand Spealized the balance of the warranty of up to 2 years is transferable to you as long as you get the the original receipt from the seller.
Specialized changed their global warranty policy last year so all bikes purchased after July 1st last year are covered. Anything before that you will have to pay.

Global Warranty Page | Specialized.com

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles