Giant Smart Charger - does LED1 ever turn green?

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
For those folks using the Giant Smart Charger, does LED1 ever turn green? I charged mine overnight and the light remained red.

G'day mate, if it is charged fully, the LED 1 is green. Does it blink red or constant red?
Solid red it should be charging, blinking red should mean there is an issue.

You trying to charge on the bike or battery out?

1st time i charged my bike with the battery in the bike my charger blew up. Bike shop exchanged it straight away and charging has not been an issue since.

On the bottom of the battery there is a button, push the button and see if the LED's light up, there is 4 of them when battery is fully charged.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Thanks for the info! It is solid red, never changes. My shop has zero chargers and zero batteries on hand to do any kind of exchange.

Series6

Feb 27, 2019
Brisbane
Mine is the same. New 2019 bike and the LED remains red on the charging unit.
It has a button on the charging unit the manual tells me is for the 60% storage charge - so I havnt pressed that button.

The app advises me the battery is at 100% so I have been letting it charge overnight and its always ready to commute or ride in the morning.

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
Thanks for the info! It is solid red, never changes. My shop has zero chargers and zero batteries on hand to do any kind of exchange.
Mine was the same, don't think its the charger because my partner has the same bike, Giant Trance sx pro..i used her charger and was the same on constant red, i took the bike in yesterday for a new Controller put it on charge last night and its back to green

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Thanks for the input Steve. My Giant went back to Giant after 1 day. The battery/controller/charger issue directly out of the box did not sit well with me so it was returned to the manufacturer. I wound up with the Fezzari Wire Peak Pro and it has been trouble-free since day 1.

Just4Fun

Mar 5, 2021
USA
Yep same issue. Battery fully charged with smart charger and charger showing solid red light. Batter is fully charged so should be blinking green. Stupid smart chargers.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
Is it possible this is caused by trying to charge a fully charged battery?

yes.

on my 2020 charger, the light sequence is solid Red when you turn the charger on, then after a few seconds flashing Green while charging. Once fully charged the Green light is solid.

If you turn on the charger when the battery is fully charged, it will stay solid Red

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
yes.

on my 2020 charger, the light sequence is solid Red when you turn the charger on, then after a few seconds flashing Green while charging. Once fully charged the Green light is solid.

If you turn on the charger when the battery is fully charged, it will stay solid Red

It will also not charge if the battery or surroundings are too hot or too cold.

Just4Fun

Mar 5, 2021
USA
I now know more about these chargers than my LBS. These things have been out for a while, where is the Giant support info on these. Thanks to the people here that really know.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I now know more about these chargers than my LBS. These things have been out for a while, where is the Giant support info on these. Thanks to the people here that really know.

When I bought my 2019 Trance it came with a whole pile of manuals, most of which either reiterated or contradicted info in the other manuals or were out of date.

The manuals and charging info supplied were for the previous generation of battery and charger so were totally wrong so I had to get my LBS to contact Giant to confirm what the different lights on the charger meant, as they seemed to be doing the opposite of what the instructions said they should do.

Giant make good bikes but they couldn't care less about supplying working software or relevant paperwork for them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles