Cleaning the Turbo Levo?

JSpencer77

Feb 19, 2018
Concord, NC
So Specialized recommends using a dry or damp cloth to clean the bike. For most people that mtn bike, this isn't really an option. Is it ok to spray the bike with a low pressure garden hose for cleaning?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So Specialized recommends using a dry or damp cloth to clean the bike. For most people that mtn bike, this isn't really an option. Is it ok to spray the bike with a low pressure garden hose for cleaning?
Definitely! I’d never attempt this scrape off pounds of mud with just a damp cloth! Hose at not too high pressure is fine.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
You can pretty much spray everything with a garden hose - apart from the battery connector. Never use a power / jet wash on it, if you do keep it well away from bearings and electrical connectors. That's what I have done for the last year and so far so good ?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
well I'm the odd man outo_O. I use a product called turtle wax rinseless wash u add three or four cap full's to 3litre of water soak cleaning cloth in that then ring it out so just damp, it takes mud off for me, but my bike not covered in mud like I see in pic's here. still battery gets covered in dry mud sometimes. my bike mostly gets dust over it. but I do that then wipe with clean dry cloth. then if have time go over with 303 protectant. my bike never saw rain yet . my friend with a levo uses a low pressure washer. strange but he had to replace back wheel gear set and chain with only 1,200 km on bike my levo 1,800 k m and my chain ok. we ride together a lot with same group.

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Slightly wet bike then wet brush to loosen mud, then a light rinse. So far ok, crank bearings maybe not quite as smooth as they were, will keep an eye on those.
I also taped up the slot where the chain guide is fixed, don't know if water getting in there can do any damage but just in case. Electrical contact spray on battery connector, again keeping an eye on that o ring.
Let's face it if you are using it in the UK this time of year it's getting a pretty good jetwash with muddy water anyway.

Sylvain

Feb 23, 2018
Quebec, Canada
The battery is IP67 compliant on the LEVO. It can handle water from a normal garden hose.

IP67

6 Dust tight: No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.

7 Immersion, up to 1 m depth: Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).Test duration: 30 minutes - ref IEC 60529, table 8.
Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.

IP Code - Wikipedia

Note that pressure washers may force water in the component, no matter that IP67 rating.

The manual does not specify IP rating of the motor assembly. I'd assume it's the same.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Depends on what you consider "okay". If there's enough force from water to push dirt, there's enough force to push that dirt where it doesn't belong. If you're okay with that, such as you need to clean it to do a comprehensive maintenance on it, then sure it's okay. If you're looking to not re-lube, then I'll have to say tell you that the harsh truth that you're leaving your bike in worse condition than when it was covered in a layer of muck. Listen to the mfg. They're the experts. Face your denial...

JSpencer77

Feb 19, 2018
Concord, NC
Depends on what you consider "okay". If there's enough force from water to push dirt, there's enough force to push that dirt where it doesn't belong. If you're okay with that, such as you need to clean it to do a comprehensive maintenance on it, then sure it's okay. If you're looking to not re-lube, then I'll have to say tell you that the harsh truth that you're leaving your bike in worse condition than when it was covered in a layer of muck. Listen to the mfg. They're the experts. Face your denial...

Good points. What denial is it that I should face? I’m lost on that one.

Danielp

Feb 25, 2018
Melbourne

I just joined so I could comment on this one!

Never clean it with your battery connected!! Have seen a couple of people short out the connection between the battery and the motor by hosing it whilst the battery is in!

To clean my Levo I take the battery out and wipe that down. But then I'm happy to spray muc off then hose the rest, being super careful around the bb/motor area. (No high pressures around there)

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Good points. What denial is it that I should face? I’m lost on that one.
You countered the mfg's recommendation based on an opinion that cleaning with a cloth is not an option for most mtbers. Is this not a denial?

Don't fool yourself into thinking a garden hose is low pressure. It has various heads to increase the pressure and force of water coming out. Even rain and splashing puddles can get water where it shouldn't be. No seal is perfect, especially not typical cartridge bearing seals which are flexible light contact seals.

Getting water on bike = extra maintenance in my book. If I want to minimize the maintenance demands, I avoid getting water on it. Using a cloth is painless in comparison to taking a bike apart to troubleshoot noise and mechanical problems.

JSpencer77

Feb 19, 2018
Concord, NC
You countered the mfg's recommendation based on an opinion that cleaning with a cloth is not an option for most mtbers. Is this not a denial?

Don't fool yourself into thinking a garden hose is low pressure. It has various heads to increase the pressure and force of water coming out. Even rain and splashing puddles can get water where it shouldn't be. No seal is perfect, especially not typical cartridge bearing seals which are flexible light contact seals.

Getting water on bike = maintenance in my book. If I want to minimize the maintenance demands, I avoid getting water on it. Using a cloth is painless in comparison to taking a bike apart to troubleshoot noise and mechanical problems.

I agree. And I do tear my bikes down then clean and grease everything (service suspension also), at least annually. I’m in North Carolina and don’t really ride in much mud to be honest. Most of my local trails close after any major rain.

Mission MTB

Jul 17, 2018
East Yorkshire
I have a Kenevo which I clean in the same way as I would my regular MTBs; with a bucket of soapy water and the hose pipe. Dry and lube afterwards. The only extra steps I take are removing the battery first, and wrapping the battery contact on the bike with a plastic bag and a cable tie to try to keep water off the contacts. Seems to be working OK so far.

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
Hi dudes. How you clean or how I am supposed to clean Battery Connector? Any WD40 or CRC product I can use on the connector?

Today I noticed I had trouble turning on the bike and I am 120% sure it was because the connector was not clean. Removed it couple of times and knocked on it started working. When it started working again worked perfectly for rest of the ride.

Maybe even noticed some typical battery "corrosion".

-K

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Specialize recommend that the battery stays on and connected when being washed.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi dudes. How you clean or how I am supposed to clean Battery Connector? Any WD40 or CRC product I can use on the connector?

Today I noticed I had trouble turning on the bike and I am 120% sure it was because the connector was not clean. Removed it couple of times and knocked on it started working. When it started working again worked perfectly for rest of the ride.

Maybe even noticed some typical battery "corrosion".

-K
Any electric contact cleaner spray

Reactions: Koo

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
2786862E-4510-44CE-A821-DD4C6B97F44E.jpeg
Pre cleaning picture. @Mcharza electric contanct cleaner made wonders! No post picture though, good as new!

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Specialize recommend that the battery stays on and connected when being washed.
Yes, cos if you disconnect the power cable, it loses the ip67 rated seal.

1000+km on my 18 levo, tru tropical mud and rain, i just hose it down after everyride with a hose

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I just joined so I could comment on this one!

Never clean it with your battery connected!! Have seen a couple of people short out the connection between the battery and the motor by hosing it whilst the battery is in!

To clean my Levo I take the battery out and wipe that down. But then I'm happy to spray muc off then hose the rest, being super careful around the bb/motor area. (No high pressures around there)

its fine...5 levo's in my group, all wash with battery connected. its ip67 rated with the battery connected, you get in more trouble if you wash with the battery disconnected, cos water will get into the contacts

im at 1000+ km, wash it every week with a hose

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
My mrs just bought a levo, I washed it with a hose and then couldnt turn it on. Eventually it worked took it out the next day washed it again and it was 24 hours before it would turn on again.
Not sure where the water got in, I assume that was the problem, but I’ve also been advised never to turn it upside down whilst washing it which I did (hadn’t been told at that point)
In future I’ll be covering the tcu and cable entry ports with rags before rinsing and where possible only using a hose on the tyres and a damp cloth everywhere else.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I wash my bike very regularly due to frequent use. I always use a hose liberally and some. After over 2500 miles im less cautious than most. No issues at all. Battery connected, pre-wet and remove mud with hose on shower setting, apply muc off, brew, rinse for ages rather than work, dry with leather, lube. Sleep, ride, repeat ad infinitum.
ha ha, I use to tape sandwich bags round stuff!

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
My mrs just bought a levo, I washed it with a hose and then couldnt turn it on. Eventually it worked took it out the next day washed it again and it was 24 hours before it would turn on again.
Not sure where the water got in, I assume that was the problem, but I’ve also been advised never to turn it upside down whilst washing it which I did (hadn’t been told at that point)
In future I’ll be covering the tcu and cable entry ports with rags before rinsing and where possible only using a hose on the tyres and a damp cloth everywhere else.

if you wash it upside down, water enters tru the drain port at the bottom of the bike

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I allow time for the mud to dry......often having left the bike for a while after a ride whilst I grab a coffee and food in the van, then the van ride home, the mud on the bike has dried sufficiently to just brush the majority off. I use a variety of brushes to get into difficult spots and around pivot bearings etc. After that I just use a damp cloth and then a silicon spray to finish off. To some extent using a hose just spreads muddy water into every crevice! Cleaning the drivetrain comes next. Most especially after a wet ride, once clean enough I take the bike indoors this time of year and do not charge it until it has time to dry out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles