Auto Turn On when cleaning chain

Colin228

Nov 16, 2018
Brisbane
2019 Levo Aluminium - Updated motor with 4 bolt cover and foam insert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I clean the chain, I use a cable tie around the crank arm and through the front sprocket. This allows me to run the chain backwards and use a chain cleaner. Ive done this many times. I always, of course, do this with power switched off.

However, having washed the bike using the same method I always do, light hosing, sponge and brushes etc, i started to clean the chain. To my surprise, when I move the cranks backwards the electronics switch on. Nothing else happens but its a repeatable process.

Is this by design, a fault, a short from washing, a one off?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes mine does this as well, but I find that once I turn it off again, it doesn't come back on again

BBK

Feb 28, 2019
UK
I had auto turn on a few times which happened after washing bike and bouncing on back wheel to remove water, also coming down the stairs of garage on the back wheel, I asked about this and was told that when the chain is in the biggest sprocket of the cassette and the bike is pushed backwards it will switch the bike on, due to the motion of lowering my bike back down on to the front wheel you could hear the motor engage and the bike would power up.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I think we should now view this as a "cool" feature!
So now we can say the new Levo has auto power on ?

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
its the jump start option. Spin the wheel back fast and it always turns on.

I was going to start a new thread on this but this came up as a suggestion.

I get the same experience on my 2021 Turbo Levo Comp. I've just discovered when rolling the bike backwards at speed it automatically turns itself on. It's not just a one off - it happens every time.

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
Can someone explain to me why I see it suggested a lot while cleaning chain to pedal backwards? I mean sure if you do not have a bike maintenance stand then I understand that might be your only way but is it bad or cause harm to your bike in some way if you clean it and lube it while spinning the pedals in a forward direction?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
On Levo if you unplug the battery it is dificult to rotate the crank without hitting the connector, you may even damage it that way ...

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
On Levo if you unplug the battery it is dificult to rotate the crank without hitting the connector, you may even damage it that way ...
Only if you do it wrong! :D On my Levo I can unplug the connector and it will stay about 1 cm away from the fully plugged in position. The crank does not hit the connector. I agree that whacking the connector on each revolution is a bad idea.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles