Levo get's best eMTB review from eBike-MTB

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I wonder where their ad revenue comes from... :unsure:
...or who paid for their 7 day bike testing jaunt in Tuscany... Strangely no mention of any of the issues that people have been experiencing is mentioned in the review.

I strongly suspect this is a case of JASI - just another Specialized infomercial. ;):ROFLMAO:

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
LEVO Tyres rubbish? They're probably not the best ever, but they aren't that bad.

Specialized Butcher 2.6 tyre review - MBR
Specialized Butcher Grid Review

Also, when review a $11K bike - you're not going to put a bike down because of the tyres. It is by far not the biggest issue on the Levos.

And to be fair, the Canyon Spectral:ON gets best value and also a huge thumbs up in their group review. There are so many bikes and brands on the market these days, you can hardly expect a magazine to review them all and pick a winner.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Remember its a German magazine so will be focused on bikes available in that market.

The Levo is the best EMTB out there in purely technical terms, and is a great riding bike too, what these tests don't take into account is long term ownership and issues.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My point was more about reviews in general, EMTB's are a whole new sector, and we are only now really seeing feedback on various models that come from long-term ownership. One of the great thing about @Rob Hancill reviews is he keeps the bikes for a while, and as such tend to pick up on things that only become apparent when you have had a bike for a while.

The Levo has a number of well known potential issues that are widely covered on the forum, of course a lot of people only come on here to post about issues which slightly skews the view on them, along with the fact that its the most popular EMTB so more out there. Most of them can be avoided if you buy from a good shop, and are aware of the maintenance needed to avoid them.

The Levo is the most advanced and integrated bike currently on the market, but as with any cutting edge product pushing the envelope will mean more complications in design, manufacture, and maintenance.

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
LEVO Tyres rubbish? They're probably not the best ever, but they aren't that bad.

Specialized Butcher 2.6 tyre review - MBR
Specialized Butcher Grid Review

Also, when review a $11K bike - you're not going to put a bike down because of the tyres. It is by far not the biggest issue on the Levos.

And to be fair, the Canyon Spectral:ON gets best value and also a huge thumbs up in their group review. There are so many bikes and brands on the market these days, you can hardly expect a magazine to review them all and pick a winner.
I've ridden the Spectral on and I think it is a really sorted bike but way too many issues with Canyon delivery. I've kept a Butcher on the rear on my Levo but I really couldn't trust it as front tyre for riding in the UK 8/10 seems like a reasonable score. I rode with @Doomanic in the forest of dean a couple of weeks ago on a muddy ride and there was another rider in our group on a Levo having grip problems I don't think his Butchers were helping.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Was a great read that review and having all the info in one place for comparison.

Despite having a few issues I still believe the levo is the best out there. Kinda wish I'd got a plastic model now and trusted I'd love it.
Agreed - I found their 2018 review to be pretty accurate from demo rides that I did last year. I'm not sure who is doing 100% independent reviews of all current eBikes on the market but at the moment I'm very happy with the Levo 2019.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Shame they didn't include a Norco.
Would have been interested in how it stacks up.
20190210_163232.jpg

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The sole UK Retailer of the Norco Brand is Evans Cycles, the Sight e-MTB starts at £5k for a full carbon front frame and Ali rear
Unfortunately the non-removeable (well, not by the owner) battery and the fact it comes from the (now Mike Ashley owned) Evans Cycles means it will be a no-go for many UK buyers. Our bikes tend to be stored in unheated sheds and garages, and anyone whose ever dealt with a Mike Ashley company knows customer service is a foreign concept to him...

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Unfortunately the non-removeable (well, not easily) battery and the fact it comes from the (now Mike Ashley owned) Evans Cycles means it will be a no-go for many UK buyers whose bikes are stored in unheated sheds and garages.

I agree in part, I loathe the fact that Mr Ashley gets some of my money.
The battery can, apparently, only be removed by a dealer, with regards to cold garages and sheds why don't people use a trickle charger, we could argue that the Achilles heel of an e-MTB is the actual thing that drives them, the battery.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...with regards to cold garages and sheds why don't people use a trickle charger, we could argue that the Achilles heel of an e-MTB is the actual thing that drives them, the battery.
Because keeping a lithium chemistry battery at full charge in below freezing temperatures is a pretty terrible idea that will reduce capacity and cycle life - they should be stored at 50-80% SOC at room temp.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Because keeping a lithium chemistry battery at full charge in below freezing temperatures is a pretty terrible idea that will reduce capacity and cycle life - they should be stored at 50-80% SOC at room temp.
You're obviously more clued up than myself, but I still say that the Achilles heel, for those of us that live in cold and wet climates, is the battery technology, and that's why I still ride my none electric bike more, I'm pretty close to saying, foook it, I'll revisit the technology in 5 years.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I ride my Shimano E8000 equipped Vitus's minimum 3 times a week/60 miles come rain, snow or shine, and have no issues at all - the only thing I notice is that below 5 degrees the range is affected. In fact if anything the EMTB gets me out more in bad conditions, for example today I went on a 20 mile ride in the howling wind, fair bit of rain, and bog like conditions on the trails, that I would never think of doing on my normal bike, as the motor means the wind isn't such an issue and allows me to plough thought he mud.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
You're obviously more clued up than myself, but I still say that the Achilles heel, for those of us that live in cold and wet climates, is the battery technology, and that's why I still ride my none electric bike more, I'm pretty close to saying, foook it, I'll revisit the technology in 5 years.
I don’t disagree that ebikes would benefit from a bump in battery tech, but that is unlikely for 3-5 years - billions are going into battery tech for decarbonising our economies, but when they come capacity will be limited initially and any breakthroughs will go to cars and home energy storage first. However as @R120 points out current battery tech still gets the job done providing you do your research on how to charge, store and use your pack. Just don’t rely on the manufacturers guidance; most of the ebike manuals I’ve looked at are woefully inadequate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles