Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Got a nice ride in this morning, love this bike

IMG_0924.jpg

Haddock

May 5, 2018
Östersund
Is there any one bought one of these that Could look in the manual if the bike are ce marked or if it says something about meeting the EN 15194 standard for Electronically Power Assisted Cycles (EPAC)

Here in Sweden We get a contribution buying ebikes but only if they meet that kind om standard.

It would be really helpful if someone Could check.
Im in a bit of a hurry and would need to know before next week.

Regards/

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would email Vitus and get an answer straight form them? Will look on mine when i have a chance, i believe its usually on the motor which is quite often concealed

Haddock

May 5, 2018
Östersund
I did but I kind of need it before monday..
Would be great, I think its the whole bike and not just the motor and Battery that need to have the mark or fill the other requirements.

Regards/

I would email Vitus and get an answer straight form them? Will look on mine when i have a chance, i believe its usually on the motor which is quite often concealed

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Vitus customer service seems great. I Emailed them on Friday about reaming my seatpost and how it would effect my warranty and they got back to me with the answer in around an hour. For anyone interested. Yes. It can be done (I knew this) and as I thought it'll void the warranty. Which is fair enough.

Haddock

May 5, 2018
Östersund
Vitus customer service seems great. I Emailed them on Friday about reaming my seatpost and how it would effect my warranty and they got back to me with the answer in around an hour. For anyone interested. Yes. It can be done (I knew this) and as I thought it'll void the warranty. Which is fair enough.

I did email them but need answers asap and I guess they will answer monday or later.
Regards/

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's a bank holiday weekend here. May day. Not sure if it's a thing in Ireland. I was surprised to get an Email reply at all until Tuesday.
Interestingly. I was chatting to an old DH racing competitor who's good friends with all the Nukeproof/Vitus guys today.

DarkoWade

May 5, 2018
Sweden
If you get an answer from Vitus could you post it here, I am also from Sweden and interested in this information. Why the hurry, if you dont mind me asking? It seem to be hard to get a hold of the bike right now at Wiggle or CRC.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Here in Sweden We get a contribution buying ebikes but only if they meet that kind om standard.
You will have another problem. It's not possible to buy it outside of UK. I did ask Vitus and this is the reply:
Due to shipping restrictions due to the battery on E-Bikes, CRC and Wiggle are currently only able to ship them within the UK / Ireland.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
finally managed to connect the Etube App last night. Downloaded the latest firmware update and upped Trail mode to medium assist (from default Low).
OMG! it's like a different bike today.
I've been riding the bike for a couple of weeks now and done 200miles on it. I wasn't really using eco or Trail much as I couldn't really feel much benefit.
Since upping Trail and the update EVERYTHING has improved. it now stops assisting at 14.8mph instead of 13.8 out the box.
it delivers the power in boost and Eco far smoother
the transition from assist to no assist at 14.8/15 mph is so much smoother. no longer feels like you're pedalling against all that much resistance at all.
Wheelies are far more controllable
it feels like it offers assist and matches your imputs far better and pick up seems quicker.

Was the firmware update as much of a revelation for everyone else or did you do it early on in your ownership? or have there been a few updates and I'm just catching up?

Anyway, I love this bike even more the way the motor now works. And I'm so glad I spent some time dailing in jumping and pumping it at glentress freeride park on Friday.

happy happy happy... so happy :D

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
finally managed to connect the Etube App last night. Downloaded the latest firmware update and upped Trail mode to medium assist (from default Low).
OMG! it's like a different bike today.
I've been riding the bike for a couple of weeks now and done 200miles on it. I wasn't really using eco or Trail much as I couldn't really feel much benefit.
Since upping Trail and the update EVERYTHING has improved. it now stops assisting at 14.8mph instead of 13.8 out the box.
it delivers the power in boost and Eco far smoother
the transition from assist to no assist at 14.8/15 mph is so much smoother. no longer feels like you're pedalling against all that much resistance at all.
Wheelies are far more controllable
it feels like it offers assist and matches your imputs far better and pick up seems quicker.

Was the firmware update as much of a revelation for everyone else or did you do it early on in your ownership? or have there been a few updates and I'm just catching up?

Anyway, I love this bike even more the way the motor now works. And I'm so glad I spent some time dailing in jumping and pumping it at glentress freeride park on Friday.

happy happy happy... so happy :D
I Think your late to the party but it does sound like yours may have been an update behind to start with
Mine came set in normal mode to begin with I think it’s called explore so initial update didn’t really change it
The last update seemed to just change the way low battery warning mode works

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just posting to say that CRC customer service is amazing. I had a wee problem (I'll not go into here) and CRC have gone above and beyond what i'd expect from any bike shop to resolve it. nevermind an online shop.

:)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Didn't ride the bike tonight. But fitted a 150mm Brand X Ascend XL post in place of the stock 120mm Brand-X. Pretty much perfect length when fully inserted into the seat tube and being the same brand there was no need to replace the cable or fiddle with the barrel/pinchbolt. infact the entire job was an entirely stress free one allen key procedure.
As I run my saddle DH/DJ style slightly nose up it's doubtful whether there is adequate tyre/saddle clearance at rear suspension bottom out for a 170mm dropper without pushing the saddle forwards in the rails anyway. (which looks ugly and ruins seating position)
I haven't had any problems descending anything and was whipping/scrubbing, tableing and euro tableing the bike fine with just 120mm drop at the weekend but the extra 30mm will definitely help with manualling and bunnyhopping the bike higher.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Got the bike yesterday and taped it today. Obligatory photos attached. Fits on the car rack just. Had my first ride this evening. It's a big old lump on the way down but a lot of fun. Still laughing but wont be when it ends up on top of me from a height!

Carron Valley tmrw and Aberfoyle on Sat to get the settings dialled in a bit. Mainly taking damping off the back I think.

I attached a photo of the dropper/mode button arrangement. Played about with it, that was the best I could do but not happy with it yet.

All the best,

Frank

20180509_183844.jpg

20180510_162155.jpg

20180510_155039.jpg

20180510_162205.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Got the bike yesterday and taped it today. Obligatory photos attached. Fits on the car rack just. Had my first ride this evening. It's a big old lump on the way down but a lot of fun. Still laughing but wont be when it ends up on top of me from a height!

Carron Valley tmrw and Aberfoyle on Sat to get the settings dialled in a bit. Mainly taking damping off the back I think.

Hi

Yeah, it'll feel hellishly heavy compared to your Capra. A tyre change helps a little. mine has faster rolling harder compound exo casing tyres run tubeless now. it saved 3lb in weight but more importantly gave the bike back a lot in handling and acceleration. Bike is still 46lb though so never going to handle exactly like a nice lightweight Enduro bike especially something s progressive as a Capra.
The rear shock doesn't have a whole load of rebound adjustment range, If you like a fast rebound and are a lighter rider you might actually struggle. The rear suspension is really nice when dialled in.

Whereabout in Scotland are you? Guessing in the West if you're local to Caron Valley/Aberfoyle?

Here's a pic of how I have my shifter/brake/remote set up. I ride with the palms of my hands overhanging the outer portion of the grip and the brake lever's set up for one finger braking.

Econtrols.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I'm in Elderslie Gary.

Ended up hitting the EWS tracks at Dunkeld today. Bike is solid. Loving that 170 Lyric. One of my mates was on my Capra. About the same speed downhill but he was trying and I had a lot more to go.

And the climbs :)

Sorry I didn't get to this party earlier. Definitely taking it to Sierra Nevada in Sept. Just got to find a solution to the battery situation...

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Hmm should have joined the forum earlier to help answer some of the early questions.. I’ve had mine since February and managed around 300 miles on it and am very pleased with it overall. I got mine as a warranty replacement for a Ghost Kato from CRC (see my newbie post for more details). Due to the hassle I’d gone though, CRC sent me replacement trigger for the dropped post, when I pointed out the 1x version clashed with the shimano power shifter. The post insert issue is not due to the wield at the bottom of the seat port, more due to the reaming only going 175mm (IIRC) into the post (on my Large frame), you can see the line on Gary’s picture earlier in the thread – this actually stopped a friend buying one, as he definitely wanted to run a 170mm post but wouldn’t have got it in far enough with his inseam. I like the sticky 2.5 tyres but then I’ve been riding in mud since February until these last few weeks, so the more grip the better, that said I was hugely impressed by the 2.8’s nobby nic’s that came on the ghost, it made the bike feel unstoppable & great fun to ride. I’ll probably pop 2.8 on the rear definitely and may try the front too, to see if the Vitus feels as fun too. I’ve sacked off the top power mode, using the custom setting to change to ECO/LOW/
IMG_4443.JPG
MID, as the high mode killed the battery ridiculously fast and was too powerful in most conditions. I thought I’d seen some-where that the standard (Eco/Low/Mid/High) modes could be individually tuned?

My bug bear has been the range, I’m not seeing much more than the low 20’s (miles) with 1800ft of climbing even when riding in only Eco more. I understand my weight, kitchen sink of a pack, sticky tyres & muddy conditions won’t help but am wondering what other people are seeing range (vs climbed height) wise? I am starting to suspect my battery/charger but need to do a few more ride before I laying blame.
IMG_4626.JPG

I do know that my friends I ride with with Bosch/yamaha motors don’t get the “range anxiety” that I suffer from at the end of rides, but otherwise it’s great fun.

IMG_4850.JPG

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Using the app to customise the setting makes a difference - boost does cane the battery if you are continuously using it at optimum cadence for assistance uphill - i was playing around with it yesterday, went out with 3 bars of battery, first 2 miles of the ride was basically continuous up hill, ending on very steep gradient, on roads. First mile in trail, second in boost, went down to two bars by the time i got to the top. I then got a further 8 miles using mostly eco with some trail on steeper parts, mostly on the North Downs way between Reigate/Boxhill. Battery indicator then went red/the dreaded beep, and locked into eco mode for about the last 2 miles home.

I find the terrain you ride has a big effect on the battery use, i.e that continuous use of the motor at its peak torque, no matter what setting will drain it quicker. As i get more used to the bike, i find that eco mode is sufficient for a lot of riding. Long uphills in the mud definitely use the motor assistance more.

Have you tried using another battery? Might be worth trying to borrow one

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Why? It's unlikely to be in use unless you mean very shallow gradients.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
4000ft in 11miles is my usual midweek Emtb ride. All climbing is either trail centre armoured surface, bridleway or fireroads (some bits are steep) and all done in boost as quickly as possible.
Local from the door riding here it's nowhere near so hilly. 20 miles and 1800ft sounds about right for a regular loop i've been doing for 15 years. On the Sommet this uses 2 bars, if that. again all climbing done in boost mostly at 14mph. (although on the flat and downhill I'm generally above the 15mph assistance limit or sat at it not really stressing the motor at all).
At a local DH/Enduro spot where half the climb is fireroad and the other half steep/technical with a few very muddy steep sections. and unridable on a normal bike i got not much more than 3300ft of climbing in roughly 10miles again all on boost and at full speed. blasting through those muddy unridable sections 12 (3 per climb) were deifinitely the cause of less range.
I rarely use eco at all and using the app upped "trail" to MID as I thought it was pointless on LOW.

I don't use a pack of any sort at all or even carry water on ebike rides as I barely sweat. I don't know what I weigh just now. my bathroom scales are broken. But I am around 1.5-2st heavier than usual at I'd guess somewhere in the 15.5-16st range in riding kit. I'm still fairly fit though and a pretty strong rider.

If I wanted to ride for longer/climb more I would just take a normal bike a normal full days ride on those can easily be 10000ft in about 25miles. No Ebike can match that sort of range and trying to eek out that mileage in eco would feel utterly pointless to me.

hope this helps.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh. and my frame is only reamed 165mm deep. But that does put it right at the welds being a 15" frame.

I'm now running a brand-X 150mm post and it's pretty much spot on for my 33" inseam.
TBH 120mm drop was enough drop for descending but 150mm allows better room for squatting to preload (bunny hopping higher) and more room for hip thrusts when manualling

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dremmel'd the Brand-X remote lever about 11mm shorter.
Places it in a better place and also now needs a shorter throw to actuate.
Win win really
Dropperremotemod.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why? It's unlikely to be in use unless you mean very shallow gradients.

I meant it tongue in cheek - however having said that doing this got me home at the weekend when the battery was pretty much dead!

I find that ECO makes riding the bike like riding a normal bike, i.e it effectively compensates for the extra weight, but doesn't really give you any assistance beyond that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles