Anyone try Ergon's new E- Mtb saddle?

Ergon

Trader
Feb 8, 2019
Germany
Even though I am a small slim 30 waist I went into a bike shop and they measured my bone width at 143 so a M/L is 12 to 16 so that's what I ordered even though I am not large at all :)

Overall body size doesn't dictate Ergon saddle size. It's all based on bone structure, in this case, your sit bones. We hear similar to above all the time, especially at events. We've measured guys that are well over 6 ft and weigh over 200 lbs to the S/M size. On the opposite side, we've measure guys and gals at not much over 5 ft and 100 lbs that are M/L. It's 100% based on bone structure, which is genetic.

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
@Ergon do you offer any sort of trial saddle or exchange like the other manufacturers do? As decent saddles cost a fair bit to have sat in the shed if I don't get on with it.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It is actually easy to measure your own sit bones, find some thick cardboard and cut a couple of pieces that you place on a low table or similar. Then take your popo and place it on the cardboard in a firm way and then gently rocking from side to side. When you stand up again you will see the marks from your sit bones in the cardboard and then it is just to take a liner and measure centre to centre of the 2 flat spots - An old trick ;)

Karsten

Disclaimer:
Gary we know that you think that this is utterly crap so no need to tell us again :LOL:

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I agree with the sit bones thing. But it makes me think, why do some manufacturers still list there saddles according to activity. for example narrow thin saddles are for xc and wider thicker saddle are for all day riding?

Ergon

Trader
Feb 8, 2019
Germany
I agree with the sit bones thing. But it makes me think, why do some manufacturers still list there saddles according to activity. for example narrow thin saddles are for xc and wider thicker saddle are for all day riding?

We agree to some point here. Usage does dictate shape. For example, an DH saddle shape not the same as XC. Or a comfort urban saddle not the same as an e-mtb saddle. Even our enduro saddle not the same as our comfort trail saddle.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I was aware from previous fittings I have wider sit bones. First ride out today, just a short ride but first impressions are very unobtrusive no difficulty moving around the bike or getting off the back etc longer ride tomorrow

I've now covered over 500km with this saddle and its not for me at all. Saddles are clearly a personal thing but for me its one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever used. Fine for a short ride ride but on longer rides it was just painful. The ridge on the back doesnt prevent you from getting off the back but it does stop(or reduce) you moving around the saddle which means I'm sat on the same spot all the time. As an experiment I changed back to the standard Giant saddle, a fairly basic saddle and it was so much better.

Obviously other people are getting on fine so I'm willing to accept it just doesnt suit me. My advice would be try before you buy

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I've had this saddel on order for about 2 months from my local bike shop, but apparently Ergon can't deliver. A bit frustrating!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It is actually easy to measure your own sit bones, find some thick cardboard and cut a couple of pieces that you place on a low table or similar. Then take your popo and place it on the cardboard in a firm way and then gently rocking from side to side. When you stand up again you will see the marks from your sit bones in the cardboard and then it is just to take a liner and measure centre to centre of the 2 flat spots - An old trick ;)

Karsten

Disclaimer:
Gary we know that you think that this is utterly crap so no need to tell us again :LOL:

Don't worry mate. You'll be able to read my impartail balanced thoughts on both the saddle and "sit bone" theory in my review of this saddle very soon.
Part of the reason the review is taking so long is this is one of the most difficult to review products i've ever come across.

sorry for the teaser.

All I'll say for now as above in @Janluke's thoughts, is the Ergon SM-E mountain definitely something you want to "try before you buy" ;)

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Don't worry mate. You'll be able to read my impartail balanced thoughts on both the saddle and "sit bone" theory in my review of this saddle very soon.
Part of the reason the review is taking so long is this is one of the most difficult to review products i've ever come across.

sorry for the teaser.

All I'll say for now as above in @Janluke's thoughts, is the Ergon SM-E mountain definitely something you want to "try before you buy" ;)

I do absolutely not worry as I'm totally confident that you know far better than all the recognized science within the cycle world :ROFLMAO:

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I do absolutely not worry as I'm totally confident that you know far better than all the recognized science within the cycle world :ROFLMAO:

Karsten

...about my own comfort, personal taste and features I want in a saddle for MY bikes the way i ride them.

Nah.. .the Industry™ must know better.

...after all it's not like they're making any money out of their "scientific" findings is it?

;)

Ps. Meeeeh meeeehhh

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
I don't get why this saddle needed to be a thing. Road cyclists spend lots of hours in a row on their bikes, more so than mountain bikers..Just look on Wiggle for road saddles instead?!
Good ol marketing BS me tinks
I was going point that out, nciklej. I sometimes ride up to 4 or 5 hours on my road bike and never felt the need for a special saddle.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
...about my own comfort, personal taste and features I want in a saddle for MY bikes the way i ride them.

Nah.. .the Industry™ must know better.

...after all it's not like they're making any money out of their "scientific" findings is it?

;)

Ps. Meeeeh meeeehhh

How you are going to provide any objective meaningful review of such a personal thing as a saddle, I'm looking forward to read. Regarding your opinion about sit bones I'm expecting you to back any opinion up by referring to scientific studies that support your standpoint. I have within 5 minutes together with Google found numerous studies from independent universities as well recognised organizations, highlighting a very close relation between cycling/saddles and injuries to that specific area of the human body. All of them clearly indicating that there is a close connection between a saddle that does not fit and related injuries.

Just as an example one university have compared 2 large groups of of middle aged men doing recreational sport and the first group were runners and the second group were cyclists. In the first group around 1% were having erectile dysfunction issues where as in the second group the number were more than 4 times higher. Evidence indicating that the seating on a wrongly shaped saddle can cause quite serious injuries.

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well done mate.

all your googled "facts" still don't trump individual personal preference and experience.

I'm getting hard just reading about your scientifically enhanced erections ;)

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Well done mate.

all your googled "facts" still don't trump individual personal preference and experience.

I'm getting hard just reading about your scientifically enhanced erections ;)
Personal preference as well as experience do we all have. If you have standpoints contradictonary to common science, you better back it up by HARD facts. :eek:

Karsten

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I had an SQ Labs saddle, professional measured etc, they are famous for being super detailed on the ergenomic side of things, and I just couldn't get on with it.

Saddles either work for you or they dont, I think the interesting thing you can look at with the Ergon, is does the concept work? The saddle may not be right for you, but if it is, does the EMTB version make sense over the normal version?

I am a big Ergon fanboy, their grips, bags and other products are extremely well though out and I have tended to find their innovations are not gimmicks, however I have never bothered with one of their saddles as my go to WTB Volt or Fabric Scoop Cell work just fine for my butt, and I cant really see any other saddles improving things, an expensive lesson I learnt with the SQ labs saddle

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Probably right about time to kick back, open a beer and get over yourself Karsten.

have a great weekend dude.

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
I've now covered over 500km with this saddle and its not for me at all. Saddles are clearly a personal thing but for me its one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever used. Fine for a short ride ride but on longer rides it was just painful. The ridge on the back doesnt prevent you from getting off the back but it does stop(or reduce) you moving around the saddle which means I'm sat on the same spot all the time. As an experiment I changed back to the standard Giant saddle, a fairly basic saddle and it was so much better.

Obviously other people are getting on fine so I'm willing to accept it just doesnt suit me. My advice would be try before you buy
@Janluke If you still have this saddle would you consider selling it?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I got my Saddel at last. Tried it for a while, but I gave it back. I didn't find it as comfortable as the other Ergon saddel I had, and it cost about twice as much.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Thread resurrections as doing saddle research. The stock saddle was off my Levo within hours. Yowww.

I don't understand the logic that emtb rides mean more sitting down. For a given time I spend proportionally more time climbing steeps (so on the nose of the saddle) and more time descending (so it's dropped) than on a clockwork bike. So I sit for less not more - it's one reason it's hard!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles