Anyone try Ergon's new E- Mtb saddle?

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Just returned from 3hs at the trails - using my new SM E-Mountain Sport saddle.
My first impressing is that the level of comfort is higher than on my standard Body Geometry Henge Comp.
The saddle is a but bit wider and softer
The support of my anatomy is also improved

Before the ride I have read about the higher rear ramp that should give better support uphill.
I found that this is also the case, as I actually fell this support when going up some steep routes.
Overall i can recommend the new eMTB specific saddle, as I tend to sit a lot more in the saddle than on my analog bike ;)

PS I am not affiliated Ergon :cool:

20190209_103332439_iOS.jpg
20190209_102233944_iOS.jpg
20190209_102625468_iOS.jpg
20190209_102540753_iOS.jpg

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Maybe someone on the editorial staff could do a review of this saddle.

Good idea and I volunteer(even though I'm not part of the staff) as I have a very big delicate popo combined with the fact that Denmark is pitch flat so I spend a lot of time in the saddle with many but small very steep climbs :D

Karsten

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Good idea and I volunteer(even though I'm not part of the staff) as I have a very big delicate popo combined with the fact that Denmark is pitch flat so I spend a lot of time in the saddle with many but small very steep climbs :D

Karsten
Your are welcome to try my SM E saddle - If I can try Your 29'ers :devilish:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Your are welcome to try my SM E saddle - If I can try Your 29'ers :devilish:
Deal, we need to do a local Danish group ride, maybe in Rold Skov in the near future.

Btw I love my Roam saddle and as a matter of fact it also have a bit of an upsweep, I like it so much that I put it on the bike even the color is a no no:ROFLMAO:

image.jpg

Karsten

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
"The industry first E-MTB saddle."

Hello Ergon, While I have great respect for your backing of the MTB racing community, especially in regards to an OTF in CO, it never sits right with me to see the old "first ever" marketing card when in fact your marketing dept. didn't take the time to do a search that would support that claim. There are at least two other e-specific saddles that were launched already.

View attachment 10665

View attachment 10667
View attachment 10666
And I believe the OG gel seat cover post was meant as humor......
...and don’t forget Canyon’s too. Basically the claim this is a world first is complete tosh.

Alan wolfe

Oct 10, 2018
Ffgjh
View attachment 10651

Do you really want this on any bike you own? Granted it's a very inexpensive option, but gel seat covers are notorious for various issues...

1. Gel seat covers move around on the seat they are covering.
2. Gel seat covers soak up water and sweat :eek:
3. Gel seat covers, the gel breaks down over time changing shape.
4. Gel seat covers tend to end up causing more comfort issues, rather than solving them.
Was meant as humor but if want go out and buy seat for ebike just buy something comfortable.ebike specific seat that is a joke

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Was meant as humor but if want go out and buy seat for ebike just buy something comfortable.ebike specific seat that is a joke
Hi Alan
I think You are missing some part the point with this seat ;)
A lot of riders of eMTBs are seated more than on a analog MTB.
Often also uphill at steep climbs.
This seat support this kind of riding, which is kind of ebike-specific.
I am no expert - but this seat gives me a better riding experience (y)
I am sure I also can find some of the same advantages with other seats.
But this one is way better than my standard specialized - in my opinion :)

Ergon

Trader
Feb 8, 2019
Germany
"The industry first E-MTB saddle."

Hello Ergon, While I have great respect for your backing of the MTB racing community, especially in regards to an OTF in CO, it never sits right with me to see the old "first ever" marketing card when in fact your marketing dept. didn't take the time to do a search that would support that claim. There are at least two other e-specific saddles that were launched already.

View attachment 10665

View attachment 10667
View attachment 10666
And I believe the OG gel seat cover post was meant as humor......

Yes, there are other e-bike saddles on the market. But the Ergon saddle is the first gender specific and mountain bike specific E-bike saddle. I've sent a note to our German offices to change this wording to be more specific.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Frank_Denmark - Thanks for the excellent photos!

How easy is it to slide back off the seat for steep descents or drops?
Does the rear ramp get in the way compared to the Henge?

(BTW, your shop is too tidy and too well organized ;))

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
...and don’t forget Canyon’s too. Basically the claim this is a world first is complete tosh.
The Ergon is the saddle that comes on the Canyon, and was developed with Cnayon.

I have had a small amount of time on this saddle, and it does actually do what is says on the tin. Quite often on a EMTB you will ride steep assents with the seat post not fully extended, but still sitting down, and in these situations you do notice the benefit of the lip. You also dont notice the lip, or at least I didn't, when descending etc etc.

However as with any saddle its a personal comfort issue, and for me I preferred my Fabric scoop cell over it, but I only had a 1 day ride on the saddle.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
E bike saddle for longer rides ? not much chance of a long ride on an ebike without 2 batteries .
I get 48 road miles in tour on my cube ebike with thunder Burt tyres set-up tubeless and my 18st ass sat on it and had 2 bars left of battery...so it’s possible

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I ordered

Karsten
I ordered a few of these for the shop. I’ll try it out as soon as they arrive

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
@Frank_Denmark - Thanks for the excellent photos!

How easy is it to slide back off the seat for steep descents or drops?
Does the rear ramp get in the way compared to the Henge?

(BTW, your shop is too tidy and too well organized ;))

Thx for Your nice words about my mancave (y)

Sliding back off the seat is no problem - and I do not experience any changes regarding this compared to my standard seat.
But the ramp gives You a bit more confidence when sitting down riding up steep climbs.

The seat is my best minor upgrade since my 152 mm cranks :devilish:

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
E bike saddle for longer rides ? not much chance of a long ride on an ebike without 2 batteries .
Just got my spare battery a Xmas :love:
Always have it with me in the backpack - to keep down the weight of the bike it self.
Went out in the mud sunday for 3+ hours - still had nearly half power left on the spare battery (y)

Only problem is that I tend to ride more in Turbo mode as the range anxiety has gone completely...

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I upgraded to the Ergon Standard saddle last summer and noticed a HUGE improvement over the standard Cube saddle that came with the bike. Much much more comfortable over long rides.
I would love to try the new E-Mtb version, but as I just got a new saddle I guess it will have to wait.

Last edited:

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Couldnt find anywhere in the UK stocking this so ordered one from Bike Discount(Germany) Arrived today and looks good. I'll give it a shot tomorrow

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles