Anyone try Ergon's new E- Mtb saddle?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'd love to try one, but I'm not going to shell out for one and then find out it's no good.
I am well disposed towards Ergon as I have been using their grips for the last ten years and buy new ones every time I change the bike. :)

They look a bit like the WTB Rocket V saddles that are no longer available. I loved them!

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
It might be difficult to find a review of one, as I believe they have only just gone on sale and are still hard to find.

I'd like to try one for my normal mtb.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"The industry first E-MTB saddle. Longer periods of sitting, steeper uphills and greater levels of impact characterize the E-MTB experience. After intense development, the optimal saddle shape was found."

That is some real Barnham and Bailey level BS right there.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I don't get why this saddle needed to be a thing. Road cyclists spend lots of hours in a row on their bikes, more so than mountain bikers..Just look on Wiggle for road saddles instead?!
Good ol marketing BS me tinks
Despite the marketing BS above Canyon were first to the punch on this one, and most Spectral:On owners seem to rate their saddles. I suspect it is only worthwhile if you are regularly taking on super steep climbs though.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Despite the marketing BS above Canyon were first to the punch on this one, and most Spectral:On owners seem to rate their saddles. I suspect it is only worthwhile if you are regularly taking on super steep climbs though.
I get your point and with all due respect, I still call BS.
Saddles, for one, are used on all bikes. Just because my bike is electric, doesn't mean my arse has changed shape so i don't need an "ebike" saddle ;)

Anyhow, saddles are completely personal, and they might make an "ultimate" saddle one day but it'll still not fit someone well :)

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Generally, I like Ergon saddles and grips but this one is the usual 'ebike specific' marketing BS. On steep climbs, I need to slide forward on the saddle to keep the front on the ground so the 'rear ramp' becomes completely useless. SQlab saddles with their longer nose section make more sense and I have their 611 Active on my ebike.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I get your point and with all due respect, I still call BS.
Saddles, for one, are used on all bikes. Just because my bike is electric, doesn't mean my arse has changed shape so i don't need an "ebike" saddle ;)

Anyhow, saddles are completely personal, and they might make an "ultimate" saddle one day but it'll still not fit someone well :)
Yes, you are right about saddles being completely personal being a dominant factor, but it is definitely true you can climb stuff on an ebike that you can’t on any other type of pedal bike. That is why they have added that upturned rear to the saddle, for climbing super steep pitches in the seated position - it is supposed to stop you sliding backwards, and several posters here have said it works.

I have not ridden a Spectral:On on that kind of terrain, but when I tried it out at the NEC on flatter terrain it wasn’t any less comfortable than my current saddle without the upturned tail. If it is the right width for your sit bones I think there might be a small advantage over a std saddle if you live in a mountain range... ?

Last edited:

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
I changed my saddle on my ebike for an old comfort one I had and it’s made a massive difference, I’ve also added a suspension post to my HT and again that has helped, I spend way more time sat down on the ebike compared to a normal bike even on the rough stuff

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I changed my saddle on my ebike for an old comfort one I had and it’s made a massive difference, I’ve also added a suspension post to my HT and again that has helped, I spend way more time sat down on the ebike compared to a normal bike even on the rough stuff

In the olden days when my body could support riding an HT, I had a suspension post and then I bought a gel saddle too. Then I discovered that my tyre pressures shouldn't be 60psi, but well below 30psi! What a breakthrough! :love::giggle:

PS: For the avoidance of doubt, I'm just commenting, I'm not challenging you Couchy! :)

Last edited:

Ergon

Trader
Feb 8, 2019
Germany
Thanks for your thoughts and input on our new SM E-Mountain saddle. The saddle was developed over the course of the last 3 years in Europe by our in-house design team and the general e-mtb riding public. Design input and features were added to the saddle based on feedback from male and female e-mtb riders ages 20 to 75. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the design we settled on is what we and other e-mtb riders felt would maximize the e-mtb experience as well as provide rider support and eliminate common discomforts associated with seated pedaling; numbness, tingling, etc, etc. As mentioned above, this new saddle was just launched by our retailers on February 1 and has quickly one of the more popular saddles in our line-up of new saddles. We invite you to try the saddle at any expo/demo events we attend. The next 2 events are the Sedona MTB Festival and the Sea Otter Classic.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I use Ergon grips on my commuter emtb and love them, but when it comes to saddles I’m sticking with my sella hybrid saddles on both

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I don't get it, why you have to use emtb specific saddle? When you bought an emtb, do you change your ass too?
I guess the concept is that the way you position your ass when riding Emtb is kind of different especially during steep climbs where you tend to sit down a lot more compared to an ordinary mtb. I tend to agree with that considering my own riding style. On longer rides your ass will have more contact time and therefore higher demands for comfy saddle ;)

Karsten

Ergon

Trader
Feb 8, 2019
Germany
I don't get it, why you have to use emtb specific saddle?

The demands and general feedback from our test riders and groups dictated the features you see in our SM E-Mountain saddle. Overall, many testers expressed the need for softer comfort foam due to longer periods of sitting and the impacts on the body that come with prolonged sitting. E-mtbs are amazing in the fact they can climb steeper grades without having the rider have to shift his/her weight forward. This has resulted in a supporting ramp in the rear of the saddle, which is the most unique aspect of this saddle. Also, the nose is slightly wider than our other saddles for the situations on when the rider does has to slide far forward on the saddle.

Is this saddle for all e-mtbers? Of course not. The beauty of the cycling world is we have many choices as to what we can ride. The SM E-Mountain saddle was developed because we recieved demands from consumers as well as e-mtb manufacturers to produce a saddle to meet the unique riding demands of e-mtb riders.

Ergon

Trader
Feb 8, 2019
Germany
Just go to pound shop buy gel seat cover problem solved
Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 7.26.49 AM.png

Do you really want this on any bike you own? Granted it's a very inexpensive option, but gel seat covers are notorious for various issues...

1. Gel seat covers move around on the seat they are covering.
2. Gel seat covers soak up water and sweat :eek:
3. Gel seat covers, the gel breaks down over time changing shape.
4. Gel seat covers tend to end up causing more comfort issues, rather than solving them.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"The industry first E-MTB saddle."

Hello Ergon, While I have great respect for your backing of the MTB racing community, especially in regards to an OTF in CO, it never sits right with me to see the old "first ever" marketing card when in fact your marketing dept. didn't take the time to do a search that would support that claim. There are at least two other e-specific saddles that were launched already.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.19.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.25.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.16.34 AM.png

And I believe the OG gel seat cover post was meant as humor......

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles