My experience with Specialized Rider Care - Nordic

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Based on all the very happy stories here about the fantastic support many of you have received either via your local Specialized Dealer or @Specialized Rider Care here directly, I will in the following give a small explanation of my personal experiences in this region of the world(Scandinavia). A couple of weeks ago I contacted the regional Rider care asking for guidance of what to do with the fact that I have severe issues with running 29" wheels/tires on my 2018 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon.

This is taken directly from the official Specialized advertising material with regards to the exact EMTB I bought:
image001.png

As a prof of my issues I attached the following picture which shows my 29" wheel mounted with a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 29" tire - Picture very clearly indicates that the tire rub solid up against the lower front part of the rear triangle:
29" Ardent.jpg

For a reference I also added the following picture of a fellow forum member's bike running another 29" setup with a Maxxis 2.5 DHF that shows loads of clearance. My initial approach was asking Rider Care if there somehow could a situation where my bike during production was equipped with a wrong rear triangle during production - This is the picture that shows that some have absolutely no issues running a decent width rear tire:

29" DHF.jpeg

The reply I got from Specialized was very clear; "During production of MY2016 to MY2018 there was only utilized 1 type of rear triangle for all full suspension models"

They also stated the following; "The max tire width, (recommended by Specialized) with Specialized tire and Roval rim is 2.4”

The information above was completely new to me as they now suddenly stated that they could only guarantee the 29" if only Specialized products were used - This have never been stated in any public advertising material I could find on the Internet. The first statement is also plain wrong as a quick search via Goggle indicates that there last year was sold a Short travel version of the Turbo Levo that came from factory with 29" wheels. For those that are interested you can clearly see on the links below that the front part of the chain stay is very different from what I have on my bike:

29" Turbo Levo
29" Turbo Levo YT presentation

Nevertheless I continued to claim that I did not consider my Turbo Levo fit for purpose with 29" wheels together with a tire wider than 2.1 witch I consider useless on a heavy EMTB for anything else than light XC riding. In the following dialogue with Rider Care they asked me to try the wheel/tire combo from my wife's 2019 Levo HT as Rider Care knew for a reference that this combo would work perfectly for my exact bike. This setup is a combination of a 29" Stout wheel with 25 mm inner width and a Specialized Ground Control 2.3 tire. After installation I did send the following pictures as documentation to Rider Care - The ruler in the picture is 2 1/2 mm wide for reference:

GC 29"_1.jpg

GC 29"_2.jpg

This picture is with 30 Psi and if I raise it to 45 Psi it goes solid, again I would say NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!

This is the answer I got back from Specialized Rider care:

"We never promoted this Levo to fit with all different tire options and the modern wide rims.
It was promoted as a 6fattie bike, with the possibility to mount 29ers. 29er is max 2.3-2.4”, bigger than that, it becomes a plus size tire.
So the answer for this is: Will a 29er wheel with a 2.3/2.4 Butcher tire fit – Yes.
Will it fit with maximum tire clearance? – No, it will fit like shown in the attached picture and there’s a difference on the clearance with the modern rim wide designs."

So basically they are admitting that there initial advertising gimmick is utterly crap and in real use the bike sold is NOT a dual wheel size EMTB. As you can see they also told me plain lies with regards to the question about different versions of the rear triangle and you all want to know what the final answer was from Rider Care as I continued to Claim "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE"....................?

They passed on contact details for their legal department in case I wanted to start a legal claim as this was that final support from them!!

I was too tired to mention that, after comprehensive testing of my rear suspension travel, it turns out my stock travel is closer to 125 mm and nowhere close to the 135 mm as stated in the marketing material - Also indicating that there is something wrong with the rear setup of the bike. During the last 3 years I have bought 5 MTB's from Specialized for well over 13.000€ - Will I buy Specialized again.... NEVER!!!

A final question to all the experienced rider out here; Do you believe the the above setup is "Fit for Purpose" and do you believe that the level of support I got from Specialized Rider Care is to an acceptable level?

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I would say no its not they could have at the very least asked you to take the bike into a specialized dealer to have a look.
my 2017 and my 2018 were both alloy comp bikes and I ran both of them with 29x2.5 maxxis shortys and 29x2.35 magic marys which are huge for a 2.35 tyre.
have you tried asking somebody with a bike like yours to give accurate chainstay and seat stay measurements for comparison

albort1

Jan 19, 2019
Sydney NSW
Sorry to hear about the tyre issue your having on your Levo. To suggest a link to their legal department is quite rude to start with. You are 100% correct to say it is not fit for purpose,as advertised. I found my 2018 Levo to have similar discrepancies like software/battery issues. Poor component selection resulting in pre mature wear on shocks etc. Mine was the base model. Could not live with these issues, felt cheated by specialized, could not resolve through contacting them so I sold it. Could not be happier.
Hope you get it sorted

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I would say no its not they could have at the very least asked you to take the bike into a specialized dealer to have a look.
my 2017 and my 2018 were both alloy comp bikes and I ran both of them with 29x2.5 maxxis shortys and 29x2.35 magic marys which are huge for a 2.35 tyre.
have you tried asking somebody with a bike like yours to give accurate chainstay and seat stay measurements for comparison
Dave,

Unfortunately I have never seen a another Levo on the trails here locally and to be honest the closest Specialized dealer is a 1 1/2 hour drive away. That particular dealer is as a matter of fact a very nice person but he have no clue about the bikes and do not even have the toolls for updating FW etc let alone using them. when I bought the Levo HT from him he sold it with obsolete firmware and when he finally borrowed the tools from Specialized Denmark I had to do the upgrade myself. That was the reason why I contacted Specialized Rider Care in the first place but did not expect that bucket of cold water they threw in my face.....

Karsten

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your nice and straight forward post like always! ;)

"Based on all the very happy stories here about the fantastic support many of you have received either via your local Specialized Dealer or @Specialized Rider Care here directly" I assume this was a reference to my post of yesterday and you will not believe me but I used the motor cable as an example within my last post but I was also thinking about your issue at that time where they could add value within the discussion. I was only not aware that they seem to have been PM you to "solve" the issue. I know you also asked them for support but I never saw any feedback as I thought they just vanished from the forum.

I can imagine your feelings and yes, I wouldn't be happy either. When they marketeered the dual wheel system they should have added which type of 29'' tyres and rims would be suitable. What I still don't understand is how another rider can have more clearance with, as it seems, the exact same frame. Or did I understand something incorrectly?

I also share your earlier comment that it's not acceptable that the new MC doesn't offer the wheel circumference setting anymore. As this means that for every wheelchange you should visit your LBS (perform the update there yourselves?) to set the correct speed limit. Previous MC version offered this option with realistic min and max setting. At least you can use BLEvo to make the small correction but it's strange that Specialized seems to point you to a 3rd party app to solve their issue. For my MY2019 the situation is even more worse. When I mount 27,5''wheelset I need to visit my LBS to adjust the wheel circumference setting. I can imagine that they, from a legal point of view, were required to take action against misusage but why didn't they choose for a simple min (2000) and max (2300) setting and let the rider adjust (and make them responsible too) the wheel circumference between those settings via MC or even a 3rd party app. I am also not happy with this situation. I hope they will change their firmware.

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
Holy smoke, what a story! If I understood correctly, you've got an odd/incorrect rear triangle in your bike and Specialized is not willing to acknowledge their obvious fault. Unbelievable.

Wonder what the future will bring for that company. They seem to be writing a future bestseller, The rise and fall of Specialized eBike business.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your nice and straight forward post like always! ;)

"Based on all the very happy stories here about the fantastic support many of you have received either via your local Specialized Dealer or @Specialized Rider Care here directly" I assume this was a reference to my post of yesterday and you will not believe me but I used the motor cable as an example within my last post but I was also thinking about your issue at that time where they could add value within the discussion. I was only not aware that they seem to have been PM you to "solve" the issue. I know you also asked them for support but I never saw any feedback as I thought they just vanished from the forum.

I can imagine your feelings and yes, I wouldn't be happy either. When they marketeered the dual wheel system they should have added which type of 29'' tyres and rims would be suitable. What I still don't understand is how another rider can have more clearance with, as it seems, the exact same frame. Or did I understand something incorrectly?

I also share your earlier comment that it's not acceptable that the new MC doesn't offer the wheel circumference setting anymore. As this means that for every wheelchange you should visit your LBS (perform the update there yourselves?) to set the correct speed limit. Previous MC version offered this option with realistic min and max setting. At least you can use BLEvo to make the small correction but it's strange that Specialized seems to point you to a 3rd party app to solve their issue. For my MY2019 the situation is even more worse. When I mount 27,5''wheelset I need to visit my LBS to adjust the wheel circumference setting. I can imagine that they, from a legal point of view, were required to take action against misusage but why didn't they choose for a simple min (2000) and max (2300) setting and let the rider adjust (and make them responsible too) the wheel circumference between those settings via MC or even a 3rd party app. I am also not happy with this situation. I hope they will change their firmware.

As a matter of fact it was a pure coincidence as I got the final answer back from Specialized Rider care - Nordic yesterday just before you posted, that if I still wanted to pursue the issue, it should be via legal procedures involving layers. They very well know that even if I winn the case in a court it could easily cost me more than a brand new S-Works 2019 Levo...... In my eyes its a pathetic way of handling an otherwise loyal customer for years but that is apparently their style. I did not ask for free parts, hell I even offered to buy a new rear triangle which they did not even bother to comment :(

That topped up with what Specialized Rider Care promised me here on the forum last November with regards to investigate a solution to the similar big gap/opening in the 2019 Levo HT motor housing and not a word from them ever since..... With all of that in mind and paired with how they apparently threat customers, I did not dare to mention all the other valid issues mentioned in other threads - I guess that Specialized can get away with handing out bikes with 8 angular wheels and still get away with customers praising their products :ROFLMAO:

At the end of the day I envy all the Levo owners here on the forum that have superb support from especially UK based local dealers, I wish it could be like that the same way where I live!

What I will do now I don't know, I do not expect to hear anything more from Specialized Rider Care and are now considering different options, one of them cutting up the rear triangle and basically add 10 mm to the wheel base - Question is if it is actually possible to buy a spare triangle from Specialized as they never answered that particular question - Anybody knows?

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Have you compared the chainstay measurements to the on line geo table on the spesh website.
Check measurements with a levo and also with a kenevo the rear triangles might have got switched by mistake, i only say this as we tried to fit 29 wheels into a kenevo size was a medium. The front would not fit but the rear (29x2.35MM) fitted with the same problems you are having

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Have you compared the chainstay measurements to the on line geo table on the spesh website.
Check measurements with a levo and also with a kenevo the rear triangles might have got switched by mistake, i only say this as we tried to fit 29 wheels into a kenevo size was a medium. The front would not fit but the rear (29x2.35MM) fitted with the same problems you are having
Brilliant idea Dave, I’ll check that immediately.

Karsten

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
@khorn

Hi Karsten

From the other bike have you guys measured the two rear triangles and identified a size difference or is the discrepancy purely one of wheel and tire choice?

I wonder what would happen if you took it to a dealership and request a change to the recommended wheel and tire, would it fit.

Do you have any recourse with the selling dealer and let them take the issue up.
You have it in black and white and they sold you the bike.

I need to type faster on my iPad ?

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
@khorn Is that actually an identical bike, the rear triangle looks different to me, have you got a picture of yours from the same angle and distance?

The rubber protection and arm fixing looks different.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
@khorn

Hi Karsten

From the other bike have you guys measured the two rear triangles and identified a size difference or is the discrepancy purely one of wheel and tire choice?

I wonder what would happen if you took it to a dealership and request a change to the recommended wheel and tire, would it fit.

Do you have any recourse with the selling dealer and let them take the issue up.
You have it in black and white and they sold you the bike.

I need to type faster on my iPad ?

Well, just followed up on Dave’s suggestion and I messure the exact same chainstay length 45,9 cm as stated in the specifications so that is not the culprit :(
When I bought the bike last year there were none available in Denmark so I bought it online from a Spanish online store of all places relying on the Specialized world wide warranty part. Not so easy to go to Madrid unfortunately.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Well im stumped mate dont know what else to say

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Yes, but we are not looking at like for like bikes.
Yours is carbon the other is Ally it has frame welds.

So do 29s fit on a carbon bike or do they all have the same issue?

See post #15 in this thread:
29" and carbon frame

Exact same bike with a 29" 2.5 tire and a 2 mm bigger aspect ratio measured - It absolutely does not make sense.

Karsten

Reactions: Bis

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I guess you need two bikes side by side, or see if the quoted wheels fit, on the website all the sizes are quoted the same.

Not sure where you can go with this, with this and the 2019 issues I’d keep away from the brand.

I guess they will fall back on:-

As with any product, specification is subject to change without prior notification. You are advised to confirm current specification before buying.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
See post #15 in this thread:
29" and carbon frame

Exact same bike with a 29" 2.5 tire and a 2 mm bigger aspect ratio measured - It absolutely does not make sense.

Karsten

Hi Karsten,

I share the opinion of @highpeakrider that the triangle below seems to be different. Especially the hinge construction with the bottom bolt looks different to me:

29-dhf-jpeg.10575

Your bike also holds a plastic cap with two small bolts/screws above the hinge.

But you are 100% right that this post:
Calling those that are running 29" on their Turbo Levo - EMTB Forums
Seems to have the same triangle with more clearance.

I would contact that rider if I was you and ask him to measure all key metrics like on the Spesh website just like you did. For me it's one big miracle too and I would really love to help you.

Please let us know if you found the reason.

P.S. Personally I would never cut my triangle and add 10mm to the wheelbase but I have read many posts of you and I think you have meanwhile built up such a life experience that you exactly know where you are talking about.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi Karsten,

I share the opinion of @highpeakrider that the triangle below seems to be different. Especially the hinge construction with the bottom bolt looks different to me:

29-dhf-jpeg.10575

Your bike also holds a plastic cap with two small bolts/screws above the hinge.

But you are 100% right that this post:
Calling those that are running 29" on their Turbo Levo - EMTB Forums
Seems to have the same triangle with more .

You are absolutely right, that particular bike is a 2018 limited bmw version and it seems to have the same triangle as the Short Travel. Also if you look at other pictures you will see that the weldings on the seatstay is quite different too.

As I have previously taken a Chevy TH400 gearbox and cut it in half just to weld it onto another Toyota bell housing in order to install it on my Supra, I consider this task an easy one ?Btw I later won the European Supra power meet with the same gearbox ?

Karsten

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
But, you need a spare rear, surly if you cut and chop it you could screw your resale value?
For sale Levo with extended rear triangle to fit 36 inch wheels and 4 inch tires, I can see the eBay advert.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
You are absolutely right, that particular bike is a 2018 limited bmw version and it seems to have the same triangle as the Short Travel. Also if you look at other pictures you will see that the weldings on the seatstay is quite different too.

As I have previously taken a Chevy TH400 gearbox and cut it in half just to weld it onto another Toyota bell housing in order to install it on my Supra, I consider this task an easy one ?Btw I later won the European Supra power meet with the same gearbox ?

Karsten

Hi Karsten,

Congrats first of all with your achievement! So I guess I was that you know exactly what you are doing.

If I would be you I would just ask @Jeff McD who seems to have the exact same bike as you to measure some key metrics of the rear triangle. Only then you will know for 100% if the earlier reply from Specialized was correct; "During production of MY2016 to MY2018 there was only utilized 1 type of rear triangle for all full suspension models" If his measurement differ from yours, besides the fact that Spesh marketeered the bike to be 29 ready, you will then have the proof that somehow they supplied other owners with a triangle which is "fit for purpose" and which sticks to their marketing promise.

I guess it will make your case then much stronger.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
But, you need a spare rear, surly if you cut and chop it you could screw your resale value?
For sale Levo with extended rear triangle to fit 36 inch wheels and 4 inch tires, I can see the eBay advert.

I totally agree and therefore I will not do anything before I have another rear triangle - If I go down this route it will be no more than a 8 to 10 mm extension where I cut both upper- and lower stay in order to maintain stock geometry. I actually bet that I can do it in a way so nobody can see it unless they bring out the ruler ;)

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi Karsten,

Congrats first of all with your achievement! So I guess I was that you know exactly what you are doing.

If I would be you I would just ask @Jeff McD who seems to have the exact same bike as you to measure some key metrics of the rear triangle. Only then you will know for 100% if the earlier reply from Specialized was correct; "During production of MY2016 to MY2018 there was only utilized 1 type of rear triangle for all full suspension models" If his measurement differ from yours, besides the fact that Spesh marketeered the bike to be 29 ready, you will then have the proof that somehow they supplied other owners with a triangle which is "fit for purpose" and which sticks to their marketing promise.

I guess it will make your case then much stronger.
That would be extremely appreciated Dave and if you can do that, I suggest to focus on measurements from centre to centre of linkage bolts, both upper and lower stays as well as from most forward linkage bolts upper and lower to the centre of rear axle. If he can also do the measures regarding the suspension linkage, i.e. between the different linkage points, it would be perfect.

By studying the different rear triangles, it is absolutely positive that there are different shapes in appearance but if it also relates to geometry I have no clue.

Thanks!!

Karsten

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I have a 2018 comp carbon and run Hope AM 29" wheelset. I have used a Maxxis Forecaster 2.35 and now a DHF 2.5WT in the back. No issues with clearance, have about 5mm with the DHF. Carcass profile on your pic does look a bit chunkier than my DHF. Do you know anyone with a 29er so you could test a few rim/tyre combo's?

It's a shame that they won't help you further. But if you're telling them that you want to reject your bike as not fit for purpose, isn't the legal department who you'd need to contact?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
That would be extremely appreciated Dave and if you can do that, I suggest to focus on measurements from centre to centre of linkage bolts, both upper and lower stays as well as from most forward linkage bolts upper and lower to the centre of rear axle. If he can also do the measures regarding the suspension linkage, i.e. between the different linkage points, it would be perfect.

By studying the different rear triangles, it is absolutely positive that there are different shapes in appearance but if it also relates to geometry I have no clue.

Thanks!!

Karsten

Hi Karsten,

Please check your previous post, as I think you mixed some things up.

Nevertheless I just found the following link for you on a German website:
Test: 29" am Specialized Turbo Levo – Hillbilly und Butcher, was bringt der Umbau? – eMTB-News.de
Not sure how your German is but otherwise maybe Google translater is able to help you:
https://translate.google.com/?hl=nl#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=https://www.emtb-news.de/news/test-29zoll-levo/

I am curious about your opinion...

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have a 2018 comp carbon and run Hope AM 29" wheelset. I have used a Maxxis Forecaster 2.35 and now a DHF 2.5WT in the back. No issues with clearance, have about 5mm with the DHF. Carcass profile on your pic does look a bit chunkier than my DHF. Do you know anyone with a 29er so you could test a few rim/tyre combo's?

It's a shame that they won't help you further. But if you're telling them that you want to reject your bike as not fit for purpose, isn't the legal department who you'd need to contact?
I have never even said the word “reject”. I just wanted Specialized to step up and try to help solving the issue. They somehow admitted that it was not the most fit for purpose 29” bike around but that does not help me.

Karsten

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Thanks!!

Karsten

I’ve got a 2018 s-works, do you want the same measurements from that too?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Karsten,

Please check your previous post, as I think you mixed some things up.

Nevertheless I just found the following link for you on a German website:
Test: 29" am Specialized Turbo Levo – Hillbilly und Butcher, was bringt der Umbau? – eMTB-News.de
Not sure how your German is but otherwise maybe Google translater is able to help you:
https://translate.google.com/?hl=nl#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=https://www.emtb-news.de/news/test-29zoll-levo/

I am curious about your opinion...

Hi Karsten,

I found a 2nd link too with lots of German rider posts:
Test: 29" am Specialized Turbo Levo – Hillbilly und Butcher, was bringt der Umbau?

Sorry, I didn't read them all, but I really hope it will help you together with the links I posted in my previous post:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I have never even said the word “reject”. I just wanted Specialized to step up and try to help solving the issue. They somehow admitted that it was not the most fit for purpose 29” bike around but that does not help me.

Perhaps this is lost in translation? I see you used the phrase "claim not fit for purpose" rather than reject. IME that is pretty much a precursor to rejecting it, since fit for purpose is a frequently used term around the legal case for buying something and it not doing what you want.

Anyway, none of that is going to get you what you want, a bike that takes a 29" wheel and a reasonable size tyre. As I said, I have that. There can't be too many variables to check. Let's fix it :)

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Hi Karsten
I also have the 2018 Comp Carb and live i Aalborg som 50 miles from You.
I still ride on the 27.5's - but I would be pleased to help You with a test of Your 29' on my bike :cool:
Are You around Aalborg sometime this week ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles