How to wax a chain and the benefits thereof

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hello All

By popular demand I will try to write a "How to wax a chain" guide - There are many different guides on the big Internet and most of them are good but some a bit too scientific for my experience. The benefits are numerous and just to name a few of them:

- The chain will last longer as it is getting better lubed.
- The lube itself will last at least 2-3 times longer than a normal wet or dry lube.
- The chain does not collect dirt as it cannot stick to chain/sprockets.
- Saving a lot of time in the end as you only need to clean chain when lubing it.
- No oil sticking all over the rear of the bike.
- Cassette and front sprocket will last longer as no dirt is grinding between chain and sprocket.

We have 8 bikes here in the family and all are running waxed chains, on our road bikes that only see dry weather during summertime, we will typically run more than 400 km on 1 lube and our EMTBs will typically run 200 km on a lube in the winter time and 300+ km during summer. For the MTBs I have 2 set of chains so it is easy to always have a clean lubed chain ready when needed. As for chain/Cassette life I have a converted Specialized Enduro with a Bafang mid-drive that is pushing out more than 1500 watts peak and being used to and from work come rain or shine. I have now done more than 2000 km on the chain/cassette and it is still as new and far from 0.5.

Even though the waxing process is a bit more complicated than the usual clean/oil with ordinary oil products one will still save time in the end as you don't have to do the clean/oil after every ride but only when you either take the chain off for lubing with wax or simply change your chain.

There are different ways to especially clean the chain(Extremely important that the chain is absolutely clean) but I'm a lazy guy so I quickly went for the easy solution, a ultrasound cleaner ;)

The process is as follows:
- Clean the chain and it is VERY important that it is 100% clean
- Put the chain into melted paraffin wax mixed with Vaseline oil or paraffin oil
- Take the chain out and let it dry(actually cooling down)
- Break the links loose and mount the chain back on the bike
- Go riding :D

My setup:

The Ultrasound cleaner is a very handy tool that I use for cleaning lots of different stuff, also cassette etc. The cleaning solution I use is a mixture of water, soda and some concentrated dish washing soap. The exact mixture I use is 3 litres of water together with 1.5 decilitre of soda and 1/2 a decilitre of dish washing soap. Before I put it in the Ultrasound cleaner I usually dip the chain in a glass of petroleum to get the roughest dirt off.

IMG_0366.jpg

After a rinse with hot water it goes into the cleaner for 1/2 an hour at 60 degrees:

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

After the ultrasound clean it is very important that the cleaning mixture is rinsed off with hot water and then it is time for the chain to dry. Some people bake it in the oven at 150 degrees C for 20 minutes in order to dry completely. I simply lay it out on top of our heater overnight(60 degrees warm) and its bone dry the next day.

Next step is to dip the chain into the melted wax mixture, the absolutely best tool here is a cheap slow cooker/crock pot where you can regulate the heat with a thermostat. I usually set it to 80 degrees C in order to have the paraffin liquid as thin floating as possible(It usually melt around 55-60 degrees C). Let the chain be fully submersed for at least 20 minutes where you a couple of times tap around on the chain to get all the air bubbles out. the wax you want to use is basically the same as candlelights are made of, many hobby stores sells it in big blocks or pellets ready to melt. It is extremely cheap and a couple of kg will last for years. the mixture of the wax and the paraffin/Vaseline oil is crusial for the lubrication effect as the purpose of the oil is to ad flexibility to the wax so it will not brake off in big flakes and stay sticky. Here is a good video the shows how to achieve the right mixture:
How to mix your own wax lube
For the record my mixture is about 1 part of oil to 10 parts of melted wax but it varies between products so you will have to follow the advice in above video.

Here is what I use for the waxing part:
IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

When you have "boiled" the chain for at least 20 minutes I simply take the chain out with the home made tool seen in above picture and hang it up for drying or should I say cooling down, be careful as the chain/wax will be 80 degrees C when you take it out. Just before the wax on the chain hardens up I wipe the outside of the chain with a rag in order to get excess wax off. the mixture of the wax is a bit like religion and some are even applying Teflon powder(PTFE) for less rolling friction as well as Molybdenum Disulphide(MoS2) for even better lubrication. Also, some are using a slightly different technique when taking the chain out of the liquid wax. They turn off the cooker and wait a few minutes until just before the wax starts to harden, then they put the chain directly into a bucket of cold water in order for the wax to stiffen instantainsly. the purpose of this is to keep as much wax within the rollers where the lubrication is needed. However it is a huge mess and It takes forever to clean essessive wax off the chain afterwards. I tried it onece and then I do it the way I initially decribed and for me it is working just as good.

Here is the final result, a nice clean well lubed chain ready for another 200 km of dirty wet EMTB riding :D

IMG_0375.jpg

Karsten

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hello All

By popular demand I will try to write a "How to wax a chain" guide - There are many different guides on the big Internet and most of them are good but some a bit too scientific for my experience. The benefits are numerous and just to name a few of them:

- The chain will last longer as it is getting better lubed.
- The lube itself will last at least 2-3 times longer than a normal wet or dry lube.
- The chain does not collect dirt as it cannot stick to chain/sprockets.
- Saving a lot of time in the end as you only need to clean chain when lubing it.
- No oil sticking all over the rear of the bike.
- Cassette and front sprocket will last longer as no dirt is grinding between chain and sprocket.

We have 8 bikes here in the family and all are running waxed chains, on our road bikes that only see dry weather during summertime, we will typically run more than 400 km on 1 lube and our EMTBs will typically run 200 km on a lube in the winter time and 300+ km during summer. For the MTBs I have 2 set of chains so it is easy to always have a clean lubed chain ready when needed. As for chain/Cassette life I have a converted Specialized Enduro with a Bafang mid-drive that is pushing out more than 1500 watts peak and being used to and from work come rain or shine. I have now done more than 2000 km on the chain/cassette and it is still as new and far from 0.5.

Even though the waxing process is a bit more complicated than the usual clean/oil with ordinary oil products one will still save time in the end as you don't have to do the clean/oil after every ride but only when you either take the chain off for lubing with wax or simply change your chain.

There are different ways to especially clean the chain(Extremely important that the chain is absolutely clean) but I'm a lazy guy so I quickly went for the easy solution, a ultrasound cleaner ;)

The process is as follows:
- Clean the chain and it is VERY important that it is 100% clean
- Put the chain into melted paraffin wax mixed with Vaseline oil or paraffin oil
- Take the chain out and let it dry(actually cooling down)
- Break the links loose and mount the chain back on the bike
- Go riding :D

My setup:

The Ultrasound cleaner is a very handy tool that I use for cleaning lots of different stuff, also cassette etc. The cleaning solution I use is a mixture of water, soda and some concentrated dish washing soap. The exact mixture I use is 3 litres of water together with 1.5 decilitre of soda and 1/2 a decilitre of dish washing soap. Before I put it in the Ultrasound cleaner I usually dip the chain in a glass of petroleum to get the roughest dirt off.

View attachment 10404

After a rinse with hot water it goes into the cleaner for 1/2 an hour at 60 degrees:

View attachment 10405

View attachment 10406

After the ultrasound clean it is very important that the cleaning mixture is rinsed off with hot water and then it is time for the chain to dry. Some people bake it in the oven at 150 degrees C for 20 minutes in order to dry completely. I simply lay it out on top of our heater overnight(60 degrees warm) and its bone dry the next day.

Next step is to dip the chain into the melted wax mixture, the absolutely best tool here is a cheap slow cooker/crock pot where you can regulate the heat with a thermostat. I usually set it to 80 degrees C in order to have the paraffin liquid as thin floating as possible(It usually melt around 55-60 degrees C). Let the chain be fully submersed for at least 20 minutes where you a couple of times tap around on the chain to get all the air bubbles out. the wax you want to use is basically the same as candlelights are made of, many hobby stores sells it in big blocks or pellets ready to melt. It is extremely cheap and a couple of kg will last for years. the mixture of the wax and the paraffin/Vaseline oil is crusial for the lubrication effect as the purpose of the oil is to ad flexibility to the wax so it will not brake off in big flakes and stay sticky. Here is a good video the shows how to achieve the right mixture:
How to mix your own wax lube
For the record my mixture is about 1 part of oil to 10 parts of melted wax but it varies between products so you will have to follow the advice in above video.

Here is what I use for the waxing part:
View attachment 10409

View attachment 10410

View attachment 10411

When you have "boiled" the chain for at least 20 minutes I simply take the chain out with the home made tool seen in above picture and hang it up for drying or should I say cooling down, be careful as the chain/wax will be 80 degrees C when you take it out. Just before the wax on the chain hardens up I wipe the outside of the chain with a rag in order to get excess wax off. the mixture of the wax is a bit like religion and some are even applying Teflon powder(PTFE) for less rolling friction as well as Molybdenum Disulphide(MoS2) for even better lubrication. Also, some are using a slightly different technique when taking the chain out of the liquid wax. They turn off the cooker and wait a few minutes until just before the wax starts to harden, then they put the chain directly into a bucket of cold water in order for the wax to stiffen instantainsly. the purpose of this is to keep as much wax within the rollers where the lubrication is needed. However it is a huge mess and It takes forever to clean essessive wax off the chain afterwards. I tried it onece and then I do it the way I initially decribed and for me it is working just as good.

Here is the final result, a nice clean well lubed chain ready for another 200 km of dirty wet EMTB riding :D

View attachment 10412

Karsten
Thanks very much, I will be trying this in the very near future. Excellent, easy to follow instructions. Top man!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Nice work, @khorn! I don't have the time to be so thorough and prefer a quick and easy waxing method. Maxima spray on chain lube worked great on my motos in the past and should be good enough for a bicycle. Only takes ~5min, so you can do it frequently. Chain comes out looking like new. (I recommend a Park tool to monitor chain wear which will vary with riding conditions.)

1. wipe debris off chain and sprockets
2. spray Maxima lube on one section at a time - the carrier solvent cleans the chain!
3. wipe excess off thoroughly to prevent attracting dirt
4. repeat for remaining sections
5. wipe sprockets clean
6. ride

Maxima Chain Wax.jpg

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Nice work, @khorn! I don't have the time to be so thorough and prefer a quick and easy waxing method. Maxima spray on chain lube worked great on my motos in the past and should be good enough for a bicycle. Only takes ~5min, so you can do it frequently. Chain comes out looking like new. (I recommend a Park tool to monitor chain wear which will vary with riding conditions.)

2. spray Maxima lube on one section at a time - the carrier solvent cleans the chain!
5. wipe sprockets clean
6. ride

View attachment 10441

I would say that the aerosol wax solution is not the worst option but I have no faith in what they put into the can. The absolutely best benefit by boiling your chain is the fact that you get so much more lubricant inside your rollers in the chain and that is what really make the chain last longer. By using an aerosol can you will not lube the chain as deeply and thereby you will have to do it more often. As a matter of fact it is extremely easy to make your own liquid wax, 1/3 melted wax, 1/3 paraffin oil and 1/3 Xylene mixed together and you have the perfect mixture that will do the same or better than your can;) I would say that it will cost a few pounds to make 1 litre of liquid wax compared to what a small can cost and for sure it is better. I always have a mixture of liquid wax that I sometimes use on the chain if I want the chain to last a little longer before I change it.

Here is a good link to "How to make your own liquid wax"

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK

5. wipe sprockets clean
6. ride

View attachment 10441

And mind the disc rotors or that will be a very bad day ?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I can see the appeal but in reality I couldn't be arsed puting that much effort into cooking for a date with Rachel Riley nevermind lubing a bike chain.

Gary I as a matter of fact do believe that you put way more effort into managing your chain if we compare the time you use over a period of 300 km of riding. If I should do a honest calculation of the time I spend on 1 chain cycle then it would look like this:

- 1 minute to take the chain off
- 5 minutes of cleaning with petroleum(I don't do that every time)
- 1 minute to plug in Ultrasonic cleaner and put chain into it
- 5 minutes to take chain out again/rinse it/put it up for drying
- 1 minute to plug in slow cooker/put chain into it.
- 3 minutes to take chain up from cooker/hang it up/remove wax
- 1 minute to install chain on bike

So worst case I'm using around roughly 20 minutes on my chain every 200 to 300 km, how much time do you spend on the chain using conventional methods for the same amount of riding?

Not to mention the benefits that you gain from waxing compared to traditional way of lubing the chain. When I wash the bike I simply hose down the chain/cassette/rear dérailleur/front chain ring, that's all I do as there is literately no dirt sticking to the components. sometimes there are a few grass straws sticking in jockey wheels but that's all I do.

This is a pic of my wife's Levo and that is around 100 km since last cleaning/waxing:

Chain wax.jpg

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ok.

I wash my chain while I wash the bike after every ride.
total bike wash time varies from 1min (coin operated trail centre Jetwash- incase you're wondering how I know it's ONE min) to under 10minutes (hose/bucket/brush)
time spent cleaning the chain = 4seconds (Jetwash) 20 seconds (soapy brush and hose rinse)
re-lubing takes about 8 seconds but we'll call it 10 including wiping it down
let's ignore the fact it's jetwashed every few rides.
average ride being conservative is 15miles. let's call that 25km for ease of calculation. (I'm too strungover for decimal points)

300km = 12 rides
total chain cleaning/lubing time = 12 x 30sec
so 6 minutes (or less time than it took to type your last post ;) )

you also forgot to include your preparation/clean up time.
I included mine in my calculations

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Ok.

I wash my chain while I wash the bike after every ride.
total bike wash time varies from 1min (coin operated trail centre Jetwash- incase you're wondering how I know it's ONE min) to under 10minutes (hose/bucket/brush)
time spent cleaning the chain = 4seconds (Jetwash) 20 seconds (soapy brush and hose rinse)
re-lubing takes about 8 seconds but we'll call it 10 including wiping it down
let's ignore the fact it's jetwashed every few rides.
average ride being conservative is 15miles. let's call that 25km for ease of calculation. (I'm too strungover for decimal points)

300km = 12 rides
total chain cleaning/lubing time = 12 x 30sec
so 6 minutes (or less time than it took to type your last post ;) )

you also forgot to include your preparation/clean up time.
I included mine in my calculations

Can you have someone take a video of that, especially the sequence where you lube your chain in 8 seconds? ;)

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can you have someone take a video of that, especially the sequence where you lube your chain in 8 seconds? ;)

Karsten
seriously?

how long does it take anyone else to hold/squeeze a lube bottle dripping it onto their chain while turning the cranks backwards THREE whole revolutions/ then holding the lower chain with a rag and repeating those THREE crank rotations?

i know E bikers have a rep for being slow and lazy but come on, eh?

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I ride about 400km a week at the moment on my levo and waxing it would be a good idea. But since my components are being used heavily all the time and my chain is replaced pretty often, I just do pretty much what @Gary does as there's no point in me trying to prolong the chains life when it covers many miles quickly.

If i've been using wet-lube then I use kerosene to clean the chain real quick, dry it. Spin the cranks and put waaaay too much lube on because, ah why not and then go riding again :p
Down the line i probably would get a tighter regime if I was riding mainly on weekends but for commuting its not worth the hassle, money or time in my opinion.

EDIT: Thanks for making such a long guide for anyone interested with pictures and all sorts. Really helpful and straight forward to follow...just forgot to say! :giggle:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
MASSIVE APOLOGY @khorn ;)

Karsten

turns out it takes 10seconds to lube the chain (top and bottom rollers)
5 seconds to find the rag I wipe my chain with
and 3 seconds to wipe down the outer links

I'm going to round it up to 20sec coz I'm hungover and concede to losing a further 2 minutes of my life each month from looking after my chain the way I always have.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When I wash the bike I simply hose down the chain/cassette/rear dérailleur/front chain ring, that's all I do as there is literately no dirt sticking to the components.
This is the bit I'm actually interested in.
How does waxing a chain stop the sort of mud you need to brush out with hot soapy water collecting in your mech?
or do you never ride in those conditions?
I have a few old riding acquaintances/friends who also swear by using putoline wax. but none of them have ever ridden in those conditions in their lives.

I'm honestly not trying to put down your methods BTW. Just trying to understand them.
I know for a fact I don't have time/space (there's no way i'm filling my house with the smell of heated chain wax) to wax all my bike chains but if I did my roadbike would probably be first on the list as winter road film is far worse to clean than mud ever is.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
MASSIVE APOLOGY @khorn ;)

turns out it takes 10seconds to lube the chain (top and bottom rollers)
5 seconds to find the rag I wipe my chain with
and 3 seconds to wipe down the outer links

I'm going to round it up to 20sec coz I'm hungover and concede to losing a further 2 minutes of my life each month from looking after my chain the way I always have.

Turning the crank that fast is just plain cheating........

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
This is the bit I'm actually interested in.
How does waxing a chain stop the sort of mud you need to brush out with hot soapy water collecting in your mech?
or do you never ride in those conditions?
I have a few old riding acquaintances/friends who also swear by using putoline wax. but none of them have ever ridden in those conditions in their lives.

I'm honestly not trying to put down your methods BTW. Just trying to understand them.
I know for a fact I don't have time/space (there's no way i'm filling my house with the smell of heated chain wax) to wax all my bike chains but if I did my roadbike would probably be first on the list as winter road film is far worse to clean than mud ever is.

That is the interesting bit, in winter mines just covered in mud.
The ultrasound is £46
2L Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Stainless Ultrasound Timer Heater Tank CD Washer 654936319189 | eBay

Cheap slow cooker at £16
3.5L SLOW COOKER STAINLESS STEEL + REMOVABLE INNER CERAMIC BOWL STEAM GRILL 200W | eBay

Wax about £8
1kg Paraffin wax blocks unscented manicure pedicure professional salon spa hands | eBay

Or this for £26
PUTOLINE CHAIN WAX 1KG BOILING TIN FOR NON O-RING CHAINS MOTORCYCLE MX ENDURO | eBay

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

First of all one of the main benefits of using paraffin wax is the fact that it, combined with the right amount of paraffin/Vaseline oil, is some the best lubricant out there and this combined with a totally non sticking surface. At the same time it repels water like nothing else so this combined with the lubing characteristic makes it some of the absolutely best chain lube and that has been confirmed/proved by many tests online. I do ride in very muddy conditions and after a ride I simply hose the driveline down and all dirt is gone as it will not stick. The rear dérailleur/cassette is equal clean as it is not covered in wet oil from the chain and therefore no dirt sticking to it.

The wax you want to use is the same wax you will use for making candles at home, as a matter of fact some people simply buy candles and melt them. Do not buy anything else as it will properly be more expensive and not any better.

In the road bike community they also focus on the fact that it reduces the friction in your driveline with up to 7 - 10 watts. That I don't care about on a MTB but in road competition that means 30-40 seconds on a 10 km distance.

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I do ride in very muddy conditions and after a ride I simply hose the driveline down and all dirt is gone as it will not stick. The rear dérailleur/cassette is equal clean as it is not covered in wet oil from the chain and therefore no dirt sticking to it.

I find this difficult to believe.
jockey wheels, cable entry stops, pivots and mech parallelogram all require brushing or/and high pressure water to remove mud clung in there. As does the chain guide and cassette sprockets.
As you've seen I wipe my chain plates dry after lubing so It's not wet lube that's attracting the mud in a lot of those places.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
First of all one of the main benefits of using paraffin wax is the fact that it, combined with the right amount of paraffin/Vaseline oil, is some the best lubricant out there and this combined with a totally non sticking surface. At the same time it repels water like nothing else so this combined with the lubing characteristic makes it some of the absolutely best chain lube and that has been confirmed/proved by many tests online. I do ride in very muddy conditions and after a ride I simply hose the driveline down and all dirt is gone as it will not stick. The rear dérailleur/cassette is equal clean as it is not covered in wet oil from the chain and therefore no dirt sticking to it.

The wax you want to use is the same wax you will use for making candles at home, as a matter of fact some people simply buy candles and melt them. Do not buy anything else as it will properly be more expensive and not any better.

In the road bike community they also focus on the fact that it reduces the friction in your driveline with up to 7 - 10 watts. That I don't care about on a MTB but in road competition that means 30-40 seconds on a 10 km distance.

Karsten

Do you ever wax the cassette or just the chain?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I find this difficult to believe.
jockey wheels, cable entry stops, pivots and mech parallelogram all require brushing or/and high pressure water to remove mud clung in there. As does the chain guide and cassette sprockets.
As you've seen I wipe my chain plates dry after lubing so It's not wet lube that's attracting the mud in a lot of those places.
Your call Gary......

Why should I lie to you?

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Do you ever wax the cassette or just the chain?
Every 2nd or 3rd time I change the chain I throw the cassette in the ultrasonic cleaner too. When I take it out and it’s dried I spray it with WD40 and blow it with compressed air afterwards. This is to protect it from rusting in the far corners.

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
647D0BCD-BC55-4D88-8A8D-E9CDB3B65E4E.jpeg

This is how a jockey wheel looks like after 100 km of Danish winter riding, right now we have 30 cm of snow outside and it’s always a mixture between rain/mud/snow here.

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your call Gary......

Why should I lie to you?

Karsten
No. You've misunderstood. I don't think you're being dishonest in the slightest. I'm just not sure what sort of mud you're describing or how much of it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
View attachment 10480

This is how a jockey wheel looks like after 100 km of Danish winter riding, right now we have 30 cm of snow outside and it’s always a mixture between rain/mud/snow here.

Karsten

Wait! You think that's been a dirty ride?
There's no mud at all on the mech cage arm, spokes, rim or tyre sidewall.

sorry man but this is what a bike looks like after less than 1km of local winter riding here.
CRUDXL fullbike mid ride.JPG
Sorry I don't have any drive side or mech pics but you can imagine how manky it gets after 10km+ of the same thrown at it.

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Wait! You think that's been a dirty ride?
There's no mud at all on the mech cage arm, spokes, rim or tyre sidewall.

sorry man but this is what a bike looks like after less than 1km of local winter riding here. View attachment 10496 Sorry I don't have any drive side or mech pics but you can imagine how manky it gets after 10km+ of the same thrown at it.
The pic of that jockey wheel is from AFTER hosing down the bike - I sure know how mud looks like and just to be absolutely clear, I ride in similar conditions as you and get as dirty as well.

Karsten

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I suspect that one man's terrible mud is another mans beautiful summers day.

Im not convinced by waxing, I would be astonished if this survived a fod or south Wales winter, but I also hate doing chain maintenance.

@khorn out of interest, on your muddy rides, how often do you have to find a stick and poke out the mud from the rear triangle and suspension linkages so the back wheel will turn?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles