Toying with freemax software

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Being as I rarely use boost I thought I might as well drop the assistance it gives and while I'm on I've dropped eco down to 50% from 60
Trail to 60% from 70
Boost 100% from 150
I haven't meddlesome with torque yet as I wanna see how I fair with this.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Sounds like a nice test - interested to see how you feel after using it, and whether you see any noticeable increase to range.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Want a cover for the battery also.
Reading another thread reckons that helps, but I'll only do one thing at a time

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just realised I had already dropped my settings to trail-low and boost-low via e-tube
As they come from factory that equals
trail 90%
Boost 300%

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
Nice little thread pal. I recently ordered my first eBike and have already downloaded the freeMax software and bought a SM-PCE1 to adjust the settings for Eco mode. I look forward to see what numbers you settle with, that being said, I guess its all down to individual fitness and type of riding they will be doing.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I'm no where near fit, just find it frustrating to have boost that's not used.
I think my boost now is the equivalent of trail when you get the bike new.
I'm hoping dropping the torque in trail and Eco will give me more range then the next thing will be smaller tyres, got a 2.6 DHR on at the mo and noticed straight away the drag that comes with it.

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
FWIW I used freemax to reduce % assistance in Eco to +20% and left everything else as originally set. This means I can ride along in Eco with my mates on normal bikes and get a very similar workout as before I got the E-bike (JAM2); this also massively extends my range (usually only 1-2 bars out of 5 used on a 2 hr ride). However, I then just click onto trail mode when needed or wanted to get the E-bike experience going up stuff or going fast. I also used the minimax program to set the speed limit for assist to 20mph (with correctly displayed speed readings) as I found this surprisingly useful when going over flat hard ground or tarmac, where you're often in the 15-17mph range. Works for me but, as said before, all depends on what sort of riding you do and what you want to get out of the E-bike.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Again, a little bit more from the battery.
not much but all 3 modes are useable now.
Gonna snip some more from trail watts and boost assist

tompten111

Feb 16, 2019
Sweden
FWIW I used freemax to reduce % assistance in Eco to +20% and left everything else as originally set. This means I can ride along in Eco with my mates on normal bikes and get a very similar workout as before I got the E-bike (JAM2); this also massively extends my range (usually only 1-2 bars out of 5 used on a 2 hr ride). However, I then just click onto trail mode when needed or wanted to get the E-bike experience going up stuff or going fast. I also used the minimax program to set the speed limit for assist to 20mph (with correctly displayed speed readings) as I found this surprisingly useful when going over flat hard ground or tarmac, where you're often in the 15-17mph range. Works for me but, as said before, all depends on what sort of riding you do and what you want to get out of the E-bike.
As you, I also want to raise the speed limit to 20 mph. That would be enough. The factory set lower limit is right in the sweetspot when cruising on roads. Annoying!
Can I ask you. Is the minax working good?
Do you recommend it?
Which steps version are you using?

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
As you, I also want to raise the speed limit to 20 mph. That would be enough. The factory set lower limit is right in the sweetspot when cruising on roads. Annoying!
Can I ask you. Is the minax working good?
Do you recommend it?
Which steps version are you using?

Yes, I highly recommend miniMax, it has been working without problems for the last four months. I've never experienced that loss of assistance at 15mph since!

I'm on STEPS firmware 4.6.0 but I'd recommend sending an email to Marcus Schlegel at eMax ([email protected]) to be sure your version is compatible. He'll also help you through any installation problems you might have (I had to load a small piece of free software for my version of Windows to display the eMax programs properly - I think this is also needed if you run the Shimano eTube Project on your PC).

Hope this helps

tompten111

Feb 16, 2019
Sweden
Yes, I highly recommend miniMax, it has been working without problems for the last four months. I've never experienced that loss of assistance at 15mph since!

I'm on STEPS firmware 4.6.0 but I'd recommend sending an email to Marcus Schlegel at eMax ([email protected]) to be sure your version is compatible. He'll also help you through any installation problems you might have (I had to load a small piece of free software for my version of Windows to display the eMax programs properly - I think this is also needed if you run the Shimano eTube Project on your PC).

Hope this helps
Thank you!
I will do that and order the software if there is no problem.

tebapk2

Apr 20, 2019
ES

Hope this helps
Thank you!
I will do that and order the software if there is no problem.
Alguien tiene una copia libre del mimimax?

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
Sorry, I think you need to pay for the miniMax software (I paid €119), as it's linked to the serial number of your Shimano motor.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Freemax is the business, take a look at my thread in the Focus forum that tracks my findings on retuning/tweaking my bike.
It's called - Focus Jam2 - set up nirvana achieved!!!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Ladies/Gents,

I’m I correct in thinking I can buy/download Freemax, connect to my motor and increase the speed limit to 20mph?

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
There are three versions of the software (see eMax - english). There's a pdf on that site which explains the differences but I think the most relevant points are:

freeMax: it's free and lets you alter the %assistance and torque settings for your Shimano motor; it doesn't let you alter the speed limit for assistance. I have this and it works brilliantly. I'd also recommend you read ricardowight's thread 'Focus Jam2 - set up nirvana achieved' for some good advice on settings.

miniMax and eMax; these cost €119 to install and offer you different options to increase the speed limit for assistance and\or tweak other settings. I have miniMax which allows me to increase the limit to 20m/h and the correct speed and distance are shown on my Shimano display. This works well for me. I think both programs can allow you to increase this limit much higher (I think 60km/h maximum) but then there's some complications depending on the version of Shimano software you have which dictate what you need to do to get the correct speed to show (e.g. change wheel circumference).

Of course, you will also need to purchase a PCE1 interface to connect your PC to your Shimano motor system on your bike.

If you email Markus (eMax <[email protected]>) he will answer any questions you have.

Hope this helps.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Phill H , just wish you lived a little nearer to Derbyshire. I be happy to treat you to several pints or even a new tyre just to get up to that magic 20 mph.

I've ridden with the same group of mates for many years now and I'm the only one who has so far gone E. When we get on a flat road or old railway track they delight in cruising 20 mph knowing that I struggle to maintain that speed for more than a mile.

Last edited:

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Phill H , just wish you lived a little nearer to Derbyshire. I be happy to treat you to several pints or even a new tyre just to get up to that magic 20 mph.

I've ridden with the same group of mates for many years now and I'm the only who has so far gone E. When we get on a flat road or old railway track they delight in cruising 20 mph knowing that I struggle to maintain that speed for more than a mile.
Hi, I'm in Derbyshire and have all the kit to change your limit to the USA spec. i.e. 20mph.The details of the software I use comes from this chap : vadII
I send him motor details and he sends a licence key to unlock the motor.

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
I was in the exactly the same position Peaky. I cruised up the hills and then they took their revenge on the flats. That's why I went for miniMax to get up to 20mph and then freeMax to cut down the assistance, so I got properly tired on the hills, it just seems more normal that way round.

Good luck with getting it sorted, sounds like Rallysaloon has you covered.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Hi, I'm in Derbyshire and have all the kit to change your limit to the USA spec. i.e. 20mph.
Hi, I'm in Derbyshire and have all the kit to change your limit to the USA spec. i.e. 20mph.The details of the software I use comes from this chap : vadII
I send him motor details and he sends a licence key to unlock the motor.

Hi Rallysaloon

I live near Matlock, can I ask which part of the county you can be found in?

I have just read the thread covering Vadll's software in the 'de-ristricting' thread and, same as you, I have no wish to increase power with the possible resultant problems, just apply the USA speed limit.
It would seem that he is still offering his software key for free.
I have neither the kit nor the expertise to install this software so would be very appreciative if you would be able to help me sort things out.

Chris.(Peaky Rider)

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I would just like to increase the speed limit as well. I’m going to try this hack to start with..

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
That's a hack that could be used on Bosch & Yamaha motors until they got wise about it and locked it out with a firmware update. A surprise it slipped throught the net with Shimano, deffo worth a shot....

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Hi Rallysaloon

I live near Matlock, can I ask which part of the county you can be found in?

I have just read the thread covering Vadll's software in the 'de-ristricting' thread and, same as you, I have no wish to increase power with the possible resultant problems, just apply the USA speed limit.
It would seem that he is still offering his software key for free.
I have neither the kit nor the expertise to install this software so would be very appreciative if you would be able to help me sort things out.

Chris.(Peaky Rider)
I live 10 miles from Matlock and ride with DVATC who you've probably heard of as we regularly ride in the Matlock area every Tuesday night. I can sort you out no problem.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I live 10 miles from Matlock and ride with DVATC who you've probably heard of as we regularly ride in the Matlock area every Tuesday night. I can sort you out no problem.

Yes, we regularly bump into you on Tuesday nights and, in the past, at the Church Inn at Darley Dale.

Where are you all meeting tonight? Assuming you are turning out.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom

I've ridden with the same group of mates for many years now and I'm the only one who has so far gone E. When we get on a flat road or old railway track they delight in cruising 20 mph knowing that I struggle to maintain that speed for more than a mile.
New mates? ;)

BrickMan

May 2, 2019
Antwerp
Just to confirm you can reduce the level of assistance in Eco mode with this? I find its just a bit too much assistance for getting from one place to another, motor kicks in and out of assistance too often at the low end so end up just turning it off and riding normally.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles