Lapierre EZesty

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I knew they were heavier when I was looking at bikes to buy.. .just hadn't realised how much heavier the bikes ended up with them fitted.

Plastic and 3month bearing life FTW eh? ;)

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Dude, fuck right off and don't assume to know what i would or wouldn't do.

My issue is not with Patreon, it's with the implementation of the provision of exclusive content for those who donate, i made that quite clear, as i did my ONE AND ONLY REASON FOR NOT BECOMING A PATREON, because of the exclusive content bullshit.

Just because it's a 'model' used elsewhere, doesn't mean it has to be used here or anywhere else, my suggestion was that the content itself was enough to make people want to donate, therefore providing Rob with the funds he needs to continue doing what he's doing which i highly fucking rate! Massive fuck you for plucking the suggestion that i don't appreciate that out of thin fucking air.

I NEVER suggested my contributions were any more useful or worthwhile than anybody elses or deserving of any preferential treatment, though in many cases the former is abundantly fucking true, but fine, i'll take my sorry arse elsewhere you total fucktard.

I’m a Patreon and became one as I wanted to support Rob in what he is doing, full stop. The fact Rob gives ‘perks’ to his Patreon supporters wasn’t and still isn’t a factor in the decision making process of becoming one, for me anyway. However, it seems it is for you. Like others have said, fair enough, we all have different opinions but that doesn’t make one persons view right and someone else’s wrong..

Chill mate, it’s no biggy...

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I knew they were heavier when I was looking at bikes to buy.. .just hadn't realised how much heavier the bikes ended up with them fitted.

Plastic and 3month bearing life FTW eh? ;)
No wonder Pilgrim is built like a brick shit house

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
All dirtjumpers are... it's a combination of digging half their lives, pretty much being professional gymnasts who have to hold onto a 25lb dirtjump bike while they do their routines and continually taking slams like WWF wrestlers (except for real)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
windscreen wiper and fishing reel motor in shock mtb meltdown

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The thing about the weight of these bikes is as much about the placement of the weight as the actual weight. One thing that works really well with the Commencal's and Vitus's for example, is that the use of the external battery pack places the weight pretty low and close to the BB. It may not look as slick as an integrated battery, but when you are riding at speed on the bikes you notice it. If you ride an EMTB with an internal battery that extends way up the top tube back to back with one where the battery is near the BB then you will see what i mean.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I'd like to see how that feels. But I'm not actually all that interested in riding many other Ebikes. Light ones, Yes. The current crop. Honestly? Not so much. Did it once and despite it costing double what mine does and far higher (on paper) spec I thought it felt shit and that one didn't even have a different motor to mine ;) I'm pretty fussy in what I want though.

About the weight placement. Funnily enough, the weekend before I flew out to the Alps I did an uplift day here on my session and actually struggled a little with it's lightness and lower stability as I'd been riding the Sommet so much. So when I got to the Alps I stuck my full Dakine Hotlaps bag (almost a kilo, with DH tube,spares n tools) under the down tube just infront of the BB and it did stabilise the bike a little. Or so I thought. Placebo? I dunno.. .sorted my head out to get me up to speed either way.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I’ve yet to take the plunge. Is there a motor that is the clear winner in durability? I keep looking at the commencal or Vitus mainly because of their geo and lack of crazy long cs(and of course price but fit first). Part of the reason I keep eyeing up this zesty. Seems like it could cover the widest range for a one bike quiver. I know the acoustic zesty’s can be 140 or 160 rear with just a different stroke rear shock. If that holds true for this fazua ezesty it could , with a 2 step 150-180 lyric be both a 140r(air)/150front bike and a 160r(coil)/150-180front bike in either electric or acoustic. Emtb’s in N America are limited where they can go so this bike seems fairly versatile. Thought the 2step lyric would be good to be able to drop it for powering up steep climbs. All that being said, I’ve yet to even try an e bike(I’ve only seen one so far and that’s sitting in a shop)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I see versatility as kinda different with emtbs than mtbs.
most 34lb 170mm mtbs will be nowhere near as versatile as a lighter shorter travel mtb and living with one as your only bike it's proably going to feel complete overkill and harder work to pedal around your easiest local trails.

Unlike mtbs a 170mm E bike can actually be lighter than many 140mm Ebikes and depending on suspension characteristics and tyre choice can also be more nimble than the shorter travel bike too. Then due to the motor assist there's really nothing in it between the two on the easier less challenging terrain and when climbing but the longer travel slacker bike then blows the shorter travel bike away on faster, more technical, longer and rougher descents.leaving the rider less fatigued.
I'm fairly sure my 170mm Vitus is one of the lightest Ebikes on the forum and it rides far closer to my regular 170mm enduro bike for it. Infact I think as ridden it's as light as all but the new S-works Levos and the Pivot but cost half the price. and really loses out in performance nowhere.
I never use my shock or fork compression settings on the trail to firm up the bike anywhere and my local from the door riding is miles and miles of flat/undulating singletrack and natural XC, but the riding I do on it most (half an hors drive away) is National level DH and world class enduro tracks.

If you ride your Ebike a lot and you ride it hard I honestly don't think any of the motors will be super durable. But they all come with a 2 yr warranty. My hope is that in time the more popular motors will have parts available and become user servicable for the home mechanic/servicable in good local bike shops.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
most 34lb 170mm mtbs will be nowhere near as versatile as a lighter shorter travel mtb and living with one as your only bike it's proably going to feel complete overkill and harder work to pedal around your easiest local trails.

Unlike mtbs a 170mm E bike can actually be lighter than many 140mm Ebikes and depending on suspension characteristics and tyre choice can also be more nimble than the shorter travel bike too. Then due to the motor assist there's really nothing in it between the two on the easier less challenging terrain and when climbing but the longer travel slacker bike then blows the shorter travel bike away on faster, more technical, longer and rougher descents.leaving the rider less fatigued.
I'm fairly sure my 170mm Vitus is one of the lightest Ebikes on the forum and it rides far closer to my regular 170mm enduro bike for it. Infact I think as ridden it's as light as all but the new S-works Levos and the Pivot but cost half the price. and really loses out in performance nowhere.
I never use my shock or fork compression settings on the trail to firm up the bike anywhere and my local from the door riding is miles and miles of flat/undulating singletrack and natural XC, but the riding I do on it most (half an hors drive away) is National level DH and world class enduro tracks.

If you ride your Ebike a lot and you ride it hard I honestly don't think any of the motors will be super durable. But they all come with a 2 yr warranty. My hope is that in time the more popular motors will have parts available and become user servicable for the home mechanic/servicable in good local bike shops.

Thanks, some of our trails are non ebike. Some I ride my trail bike and the dh trails I pedal with a freeride ish bike. A few areas I could take an e bike though, both xc and dh. Shuttle the dh trails when we can get it together. The only trail I haven’t done top to bottom is a 7000ft vertical hike a bike or heli drop. An emtb would allow me to pedal up it and a few 5000+ft ones I’ve hiked with my bike. There’s talk of allowing further access/fingers crossed. Because of restrictions we just don’t see lots of them and shops are hesitant to wade into the political atmosphere, hence a large part of my interest in finding the motor(and bike) with the least need for service or atleast somewhere close to service it. The Vitus seems just what I want ,but despite CRC being good to deal with, it is across the pond. Commencal is out of Squamish so that’s not bad but then there’s online shopping stories. Special Ed is $’s. I bet I could get lapierre in at a local shop though. Also like the fit on the Merida but I don’t think they’re distributed in Canada

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You have to factor in your fitness, for someone of average bike fitness then emtb's can be a game changer and your only bike/bikes, as they allow you to ride more at your optimum, and in my case get to the terrain without being knackered. Peviously i would drive to a lot of spots, whereas my emtb has opened up a lot of local terrain to the extent i rarely drive to any spot any more.

Bikes like the Zesty, and the Bulls Wild Flow which also runs the Fazua are really aimed at those with good bike fitness and skills who want that little bit extra as and when rather than all the time - they provide a helping hand rather than a friendly shove!

The motor is irrelevant if the fundamentals of the bike like Geo are not suited to you.

Bulls-Wild-Flow-EVO-SL-eMTB-Fazua-1-von-32-810x540-1.jpg

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Pilgrim has got two Haibikes, the allMtn.0 10 and a 9.0. He's only riding the 10.0 and it seems he's given to 9.0 to his brother. The 10.0 has got the YamahaPW-X and external battery and weighs 22.3kg. The 9.0 with a Bosch and the integrated battery is 24,5kg. According to e-bikeshop, I assume that's without pedals.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting, i always thought the Yamaha was as heavy as the Bosch - you reviewing one of the new giants at the moment?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
You have to factor in your fitness, for someone of average bike fitness then emtb's can be a game changer and your only bike/bikes, as they allow you to ride more at your optimum, and in my case get to the terrain without being knackered. Peviously i would drive to a lot of spots, whereas my emtb has opened up a lot of local terrain to the extent i rarely drive to any spot any more.

Bikes like the Zesty, and the Bulls Wild Flow which also runs the Fazua are really aimed at those with good bike fitness and skills who want that little bit extra as and when rather than all the time - they provide a helping hand rather than a friendly shove!

The motor is irrelevant if the fundamentals of the bike like Geo are not suited to you.

View attachment 6236
Oh yes, Bulls. That looks nice. Wonder if they have a 160mm version. I’ve heard mixed reviews on customer service. That was the states, not sure if they have distribution in Canada. Possibly though.
I won’t be doing any road work. Small town with 5 mountains with networks surrounding town. The other few areas are drive to 30-60km. Read the Rocky thread. That should be on my list too. These fazua bikes seem like they could cover all my bases though. Can’t wait to hear some reviews on that motor

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Interesting, i always thought the Yamaha was as heavy as the Bosch - you reviewing one of the new giants at the moment?
Yeah, the Trance E+ 2. Not done much riding yet.

I believe the Yamaha motor is some 800gr lighter. The frames made for external battery are regular frames with a dented downtube. Frames for integrated are lacking a huge section of the downtube and need internal reinforcing which adds weight.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Re your last paragraph, Hopefully @Bearing Man will have this capability in place in the next few months to cover bearings and maybe circuit boards in the next 6 months?

steviedsolve

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Wolverhampton
Fine, but it's exactly what puts me off.

You'd be 100% more likely to get me to contribute financially to this website if the Patreon exclusivity element was not there.
I find it difficult to even find the right words to express just how bad it looks, but i will say this;
the exclusivity element is not why people donate to you, and if it is, they truly suck in so many ways that i won't even begin to list that many negative personality attributes.

I'd contribute out of appreciation for your efforts, which is all it should be, content good, donate, simple. But for exclusive content, never. Are people who contribute to this site with help, advice and general chit-chat (what this site is for), less deserving of the latest content than someone who contributes nothing, but lines your pocket?

Really bad look, but that's just my opinion...
A slight over reaction I feel. I've been meaning to donate but was a bit lazy to setup a patreon account. This just triggered me to do it. So a bit of a nudge is all it is. Or wait until next week as Rob says.

Joezuri

Jan 6, 2019
Singapore
Hi every one. I'm new here. I am very curious about this bike. Its kind of appealing to me, with its fazua setup. Has anybody actually ridden this bike?

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
The info on the Ezesty has gone dry. Cant find much about a release date or any new rides or reviews

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Love it! Thanks! Too bad Lapierre basically has no US presence, they don’t even have a phone number for their ya distributed on their site

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles