Very Disappointed with my 2019 Specialized Levo

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
In the UK based on it not being fit for purpose they would have to offer you a full no quibble refund. Did they do that, or is that not a legal requirement in the US?

Last edited:

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Did you return the bike then, if so are they that flawed?
I loved my 2019 Levo when I 1st purchased it. Love the looks, how it handles and the smooth Brose motor. In my opinion I think they are the best e-bike out at the moment but are pricey. Not sure what was up with mine or several others I see posting about issues. I do see issues with every brands e-bike though. I personally decided that I will wait another year or two or three before purchasing another e-bike. I want the reliability to get better. Will also probably be a Levo.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
In the UK based on it not being fit for purpose they would have to offer oyou a full no quibble refund. Did they do that, or is that jsut not a legal requirement in the US?
Not sure of the laws in the US but I wanted to work with my local bike shop and thought the full refund store credit was very fair. I buy bikes every six to eight months so I will use the credit soon.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Not sure of the laws in the US but I wanted to work with my local bike shop and thought the full refund store credit was very fair. I buy bikes every six to eight months so I will use the credit soon.
Wow, you must have a very understanding other half to swap them that often! ;)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Was thinking of a 2019 levo myself, are the faults that bad with them?
I guess only you can decide that. If you have a local Specialized dealer you have confidence in and can view the pictures early in this thread without getting too scared then go ahead - there are still plenty of people who are enjoying this bike. However, if you feel like a product sold at a such a significant premium to the competiton (especially in terms of build kit) should be perfect from a design point of view then you need to look elsewhere - this bike has some fundamental design flaws in the motor cover area that I suspect will only be fully addressed by a 2020 facelift/new design.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
That amount of debris in a short amount of time is ridiculous, I guess the lower aluminum motor mount they removed for 19 did more than just protect the motor eh?

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
My 2019 turbo levo carbon comp is supposed to deliver the end of January ( in the states ) will it have the original motor cover that allows dirt into it , it sounds like the new covers are not available yet, what is the best way that the old covers have been sealed up ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
He's making the point that you should buy a bike based of specs and a test ride if possible, not what an internet forum thinks is the hottest thing out there.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Im sure both would test ride well.. t
Don't bet on it. Not every bike suits every rider. For example the pre-2019 Levo was, in my opinion, a donkey. On paper a Vitus hard to beat but the majority won't be able to get the best from it and something less radical would be better.

Coolhandluke

Oct 12, 2019
Lancashire
My 2019 Levo has gone to the Specialized Concept store in Chester. It won't turn on. Originally bought from Je James in Chesterfield early September
Major dissapointed as it's failed after just 1 month.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My 2019 Levo has gone to the Specialized Concept store in Chester. It won't turn on. Originally bought from Je James in Chesterfield early September
Major dissapointed as it's failed after just 1 month.
I hear ya, I’ve kind of lost the drive for my EMTB sad ti day just continuous maintenance and repairs it never stops.

filotnie

Aug 11, 2019
Frankfurt - SW London
Specialized is out of the game for me.. they are charging premium for their bikes.. at least I would expect best design, top components and first class service.. anything under simply does not add up and is simply ripping you off!

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Specialized is out of the game for me.. they are charging premium for their bikes.. at least I would expect best design, top components and first class service.. anything under simply does not add up and is simply ripping you off!

I do love my 2020 Levo. I do not experience the same issues that I did with my 2019. In regards to service/warranty it depends on the local bike shop. I'm MUCH more happier with the shop I purchased my 2020 from. Took them 4 days total to warranty a motor on my 2018 Levo and this included shipping time.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
First of all, if you own a 19 or 20 Levo, order and immediately install a SICOMTB mudguard. Not only will it keep all that crap out of the motor compartment (or the sponge inside) it protects the pivot point from rocks and mud wear. Don't bitch about the cost, it's nothing compared to what you spend on your bike and it will prevent a LOT of problems. Second, the warranty is transferable. Third, they have allegedly resolved the motor issue, so the first chance you get, warranty your motor and get one with the kevlar belt. Finally watch the power cable, they go, keep an eye on it and when you start to see wear, initiate a warranty claim. It takes a LONG time to ship stuff right now, so the sooner you get on it the better off you are.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles