less breakdowns please

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Had some experience with forums... and this one isn't doing things right I'm afraid. There are WAY too many sub-forums being created (one for each manufacturer??? How many will you make, 100? And, a non-ebike one? Why???). This leads to too many of them just drying up.... and once you don't find regular new things to read in "your" section, you just end up abandoning altogether ...
Careful selection and management of all of these topics is key!

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Whilst I can understand your point, I don't think sub sections are a bad idea.It does keep this place tidy and allows people to ask specific questions about a certain bike. Some manufacturer sub forums are less "busy" but you can still read other sub forums and chirp in which is good community spirit.

Non e-bike makes sense too. People with an emtb may have a normal bike too. As a member of this forum with both of those above, it allows me to chat to like minded people although I am yet to actually check that sub-forum out.

When using this forum, I tend to visit often and read the most recent threads across the whole site rather than just threads within my manufacturer's sub forum. That way you see fresh content rather than scouting for specific content.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Had some experience with forums... and this one isn't doing things right I'm afraid. There are WAY too many sub-forums being created (one for each manufacturer??? How many will you make, 100? And, a non-ebike one? Why???). This leads to too many of them just drying up.... and once you don't find regular new things to read in "your" section, you just end up abandoning altogether ...
How would you do it Jerry?

This forum has come from nothing to 30k unique visitors a month within a year so we must be doing something right ??

Last edited:

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
This forum is far more organized than all the other ebike forums I have visited. There is one forum that has a sub forum for every bike manufacture, bar a few, now that is crazy! Think the admin team doing a great job. Great layouts and easy on the eye and no waiting for pages to load.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
We need manufacturer specific subforums, because we need advice regarding that particular manufacturers bike. And it's has been helpful so far me and others who have been experiencing the same issues. I guess Jerry you can always start your own forum if you don't like the structure of this.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Don't have a problem with the sub forums, but like a lot of these things they can wander way off the original topic - I think the 19 Turbo Levo Owners thread should have been split off into motor noise/mud protection/motor covers a few weeks ago. Still a very good resource for information and well put together.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't have a problem with the sub forums, but like a lot of these things they can wander way off the original topic - I think the 19 Turbo Levo Owners thread should have been split off into motor noise/mud protection/motor covers a few weeks ago. Still a very good resource for information and well put together.
I assume you're a levo owner?
If you think something in a thread needs split/highlighted. You can always give something back to the forum by writing an informative/helpful separate post detailing these points.
Manufacturers sub forums will obviously be quieter than one big emtb forum encompassing all bike discussion but there is actually more need to keep manufacturer specific info/chat together and easier to find with emtb than regular mtb.

The non-e-bike forum is just funny

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It's weird, I hardly ever go to the "Forums" tab and look at the subforum breakdown - only in order to start a new thread in the right place. Mostly I'm using "What's New" and using that to jump to the end of threads to read. Probably my next most used is the search function to look for a particular topic.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Same, I only look at New Posts and skim. If I had a specific issue that I wanted to see if it had already been discussed, I'd either head in to the appropriate forum and wade around, or more likely just use search.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Jerry-jerry-jerry...... are you bored with this thread yet....I am

If you don't like the way it's done.....well I think you've been on enough forums to realise what you should do.
But nice to hear your thoughts.......?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

We like it just the way it is thanks Jerry, great to know you’re looking out for us though ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The thing is we need those sub forums, simply because of the way EBikes are, in that even if they have the same motor, the way it all fits together is very manufacturer specific - having the sub forums makes it very easy to search for any threads that may be relevant to the topic you are looking for/interested in. Most users post across sub forums, e.g I have a Vitus but I pretty actively post in other manufacturers sections, I read the content that interests me, not that which is only relevant to my bike.

As others have said, I reckon 99% of users just hit the Whats New button and look through the list.

If anything some of the bigger threads encompass too much, making it hard to search for specific things.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Oh no rob not another forum section ........ my head just keeps spinning ????
more subforums and more threads = more organized, easier to follow conversations. the poor BLEvo thread is 40 pages long! i dunno how we’d split it, but i read it all and i cannot remember half of it, but i know it does get disjointed and repetitive for paolo... the thing i’m hoping for is an app! when’s the emtb forums app coming rob????

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles