E-TUBE help please

Tony P

Dec 15, 2018
South West
Hi all. Have managed to bag myself a new Vitus Sommet VR ;) Just finished putting it all together and reading all the useful info on the Vitus E-Sommet thread so getting excited to ride once the weather and current injuries permit!

Have managed to work out how to pair my iPhone/iPad but not managing to get any further than that ?. I get the ‘The application was unaltered to detect the bike type.Select the bike type from Di2 (road, MTB or urban) or Steps (MTB) so I select the Steps option and then the blue uploading bar progresses slightly and then stops with “Error - one or more units that are not supported by the current version of E-TUBE PROJECT was connected. Install the latest app from the App Store”.

I’m using version 3.3.3 which appears to be the latest on both iPhone and iPad.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Yep, 3.3.3 looks to be the latest from May 30, 2018.

Does the new Vitus have that cool E7000 assist mode switcher on it? Wondering if that could be so new it is not supported yet on that app. So maybe Shimano need to release a newer version?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its should be supported on the app, updated mine yesterday, though this was done via the PC software at a bike shop

Tony P

Dec 15, 2018
South West
Hi guys - thanks for your replies.

@Master Link - thanks for the link - will have a read to see if it helps ?
@mark.ai - yes it does - photo attached
@R120 - thanks, so may need to visit a local Shimano dealer?
0A003257-C0D1-4E55-BADA-0567E53C5FD9.jpeg

Tony P

Dec 15, 2018
South West
Yep, 3.3.3 looks to be the latest from May 30, 2018.

Does the new Vitus have that cool E7000 assist mode switcher on it? Wondering if that could be so new it is not supported yet on that app. So maybe Shimano need to release a newer version?
@mark.ai wins the prize I think!

Shimano have confirmed that the E7000shifter is not compatible with version 3.3.3. This will be implemented into the next version with the release date TBC.

So bike set in default ‘dynamic’ assist at moment (Boost = high sub-mode assist and Trail = low sub-level)

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight

Shimano have confirmed that the E7000shifter is not compatible with version 3.3.3. This will be implemented into the next version with the release date TBC.

So bike set in default ‘dynamic’ assist at moment (Boost = high sub-mode assist and Trail = low sub-level)
Quite a concern that Shimano software (firmware) cannot keep pace with its hardware, especially when its only a couple of buttons.

Tony P

Dec 15, 2018
South West
I am still waiting for my Vitus, so I don’t know the Shimano system at all. Does it have a walk assist setting?
Not tried it yet but apparently so! Seem to remember reading about it in the user guide and a long press of one of the assist buttons will activate

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I am still waiting for my Vitus, so I don’t know the Shimano system at all. Does it have a walk assist setting?
Yes, it has. One long press on the 'Down' button activates the walk mode and as you push the same button it drives the wheel. You just have to put it in some middle gear to work properly.

I wouldn't be concerned too much the bike works and I'm sure they will do the update.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

You know what might work ... if you disconnect the E7000 shifter from the display and then run the app it may connect. Then change the assist settings, disconnect the app and reconnect the E7000 shifter.

But! There is a possibility this could stop the E7000 shifter from working - I can't test it here, so it's up to you if you want to try it ... Definitely don't update the firmware without the shifter connected, just in case.

Maybe you could check with your Shimano contact if the above procedure is safe to do before trying it.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
You know what might work ... if you disconnect the E7000 shifter from the display and then run the app it may connect. Then change the assist settings, disconnect the app and reconnect the E7000 shifter.

But! There is a possibility this could stop the E7000 shifter from working - I can't test it here, so it's up to you if you want to try it ... Definitely don't update the firmware without the shifter connected, just in case.

Maybe you could check with your Shimano contact if the above procedure is safe to do before trying it.

I thought the app connected via the display. So I don't think that will work. Just like the e-ride app doesn't work with the e-8000 display but does if you replace it with any of the others. The display is where the bluetooth is, not the motor.

Gordon

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I thought the app connected via the display. So I don't think that will work. Just like the e-ride app doesn't work with the e-8000 display but does if you replace it with any of the others. The display is where the bluetooth is, not the motor.

Gordon

Yep I think it connects via the display also - so I'd keep the display connected to everything else, and only try disconnecting the E7000 controller (from the display). That way the app would see the rest of the setup, but it would think there is no assist mode switch connected - which it might be ok with or it might get really grumpy and not like!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So I just updated mine to latest software, and In order to do it I had to plug back in the old controller otherwise I got an error message. So I plugged in an e6000 controller, did the update which took about 10 minutes, then disconnected the app, unplugged the E600, plugged back in the e700 and all works.

It would seem they have not sorted the app compatibility with the e7000 controller yet

Last edited:

Tony P

Dec 15, 2018
South West
Thanks for that - not tried again recently but looks like I’ll have to find someone with an e6000/8000 controller if I want to adjust assist levels.

Nice of Shimano to release hardware without the necessary app support ?

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I updated my bike at the weekend with the e7000 attached?

You don't need to do any updates to install the e7000, or any of the other controllers.
I have the 2019 VR with the e7000 switches. I downloaded version 3.3.3 of the E-TUBE app. When I started it it told me that a new firmware level was available. I connected to the e8000 but I get this message.
IMG_E2170.JPG

I have an iPhone 8 with iOS 12.1.2. I don't have an any other switches to use in place of the e7000 switches. Any ideas what I can do?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thats the same message I got.

I have now figured out and tested a workaround.

If you unplug the e7000 controller, you can access the app, and change all the settings etc.

Now the bright sparks amongst you will have figured out that you need the controller plugged in to activate the bluetooth connection!

So what you have to do, is activate the bluetooth connection on the bike, then unplug the e7000 controller, they connect with the app. App connects fine, but instead of the usual 3 items its shows up (controller, motor, battery) it just has motor and battery - you can access the motor customisation etc etc.

I also tried plugging in the e7000 once the app had connected, and this didn't disconnect it or do anything weird, but the controller didn't show up on the app.

Bare in mind I have already paired my bike with the app some time ago, so dont know how this would affect a first time connection.

When you have finished just disconnect via the app, and then plug the controller back in

Voila!

As an FYI I use the iPad version of the app.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles