• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Fork Upgrade. Reccomendations??

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
So, I'm adding another e-bike to the stable. I have got a good deal on a Merida e-big nine 600 hardtail (2018 model) which will join my existing e-one sixty 900. I'm looking forward to having a hardtail. It'll be used far a mix of light/med trail/bashing around town/bike touring and probably my travel bike when I'm away in my camper. It'll also be the bike I use to get my 15y/o out of the house with me and it may well become his bike in a year or so. I'll have two sets of wheels. One setup for trails and one with semi-slicks for on road. If I'm getting serious I'll almost always take the full sus so the new bike will get less abuse but I still want a nice ride.

I don't get the bike till early next week and already I'm looking at upgrading the very entry level Manitou Machette front fork (100mm travel). And I'm thinking of going to 120mm to slacken the bike up a bit as well as getting more BB clearance. Currently I'm thinking about a Fox 34 in 120mm. I have that fork on my Trek 29er accoustic already. My e-one sixty has a Lyrik.

Do you think the extra 20mm is a good idea and if not the Fox what else? I'm 92kg.

Details on the bike and geometries are here..

EBIG.NINE 600 - Merida Bikes Australia

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
I have fox 34s on my “conventional” Scott 29er, good fork but I prefer Pikes, slightly larger diameter, I would go 130 / 140 travel or cheaper version of the Pike, the Yari or Revelation, physically similar, but lower spec damper unit.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have fox 34s on my “conventional” Scott 29er, good fork but I prefer Pikes, slightly larger diameter, I would go 130 / 140 travel or cheaper version of the Pike, the Yari or Revelation, physically similar, but lower spec damper unit.
With geometry for a 100mm fork, I think 130-140 would be a little bit too much.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles