Trance E+2 knocking when pedaling - Solved

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
I just picked up my 2019 Trance E+2 yesterday and had the opportunity to take it out for a ride today. Of course I loved the ride, the power, and the suspension felt great. I have one complaint however and I just wonder if it's something that is normal or typical of this bike. When I am applying torque pedaling, I'm getting a clicking / knocking noise that I can also feel. I initially thought it might have been chain slip or something to do with the derailleur maybe needing an adjustment. I took it to my LBS and they adjusted the derailleur and took a look and the did acknowledge the knocking but were unable to diagnose it. Is anybody else experience the same thing? I took a short video of it and will try to upload it.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
My E+1 has the same sound, i just assumed it was the motor kicking in when you turn the crank. I assume that because the bike can free wheel without the motor turning, then you engage the crank something has to lock into the motor, and hence the sound.

I am no expert so I cant say my theory is correct but it seemed to make sense in my head. My wife has a E+3 so if i get a chance i will take it out tonight and see if it does the same thing.
Interested in hearing other E+ owner experience with this.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
My E+1 has the same sound, i just assumed it was the motor kicking in when you turn the crank. I assume that because the bike can free wheel without the motor turning, then you engage the crank something has to lock into the motor, and hence the sound.

I am no expert so I cant say my theory is correct but it seemed to make sense in my head. My wife has a E+3 so if i get a chance i will take it out tonight and see if it does the same thing.
I would appreciate that. I just don't think there is any way that this is normal.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl

Does your E+1 do it on every pedal stroke? Mine is happening randomly. More so at lower speeds as I stop pedaling, and then start again.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
So testing things on my ride home tonight. I can consistently make it happen, after pedalling for a bit, if you do a half crank turn backwards, and then forward again I feel it knock. I don't really hear it too much though.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Definitely does not sound right to me. I'd push harder with your LBS and have them get Giant to look at that video.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
So testing things on my ride home tonight. I can consistently make it happen, after pedalling for a bit, if you do a half crank turn backwards, and then forward again I feel it knock. I don't really hear it too much though.
It's hard to tell from the video, but with mine the noise sounds similar to when a chain jumps a tooth. It knocks and sort of pings and I can feel it through the cranks. Maybe a pawl in the hub? I will be returning to LBS today.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
Well, I figured out the cause of the knocking noise and it was thankfully a ridiculously easy fix. After looking around online for a solution I came across someone that said they had a similar issue and it ended up that the derailleur clutch was turned off. I thought it couldn't possibly be this simple. I checked mine and sure enough my clutch was in the off position. I guess this was allowing slack in the drive line which was causing the noise. All I know is that I put the clutch in the on position and noise is gone. Thanks all for your input!

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Well, I figured out the cause of the knocking noise and it was thankfully a ridiculously easy fix. After looking around online for a solution I came across someone that said they had a similar issue and it ended up that the derailleur clutch was turned off. I thought it couldn't possibly be this simple. I checked mine and sure enough my clutch was in the off position. I guess this was allowing slack in the drive line which was causing the noise. All I know is that I put the clutch in the on position and noise is gone. Thanks all for your input!
Wow, a clutch aye? Just checked mine, both set down (loose!!). Just positioned them both up (tighter). Never really knew there was a position for riding. I just left it loose thinking that was better. Oh well, thanks for sharing.

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
I just picked up my 2019 Trance E+2 yesterday and had the opportunity to take it out for a ride today. Of course I loved the ride, the power, and the suspension felt great. I have one complaint however and I just wonder if it's something that is normal or typical of this bike. When I am applying torque pedaling, I'm getting a clicking / knocking noise that I can also feel. I initially thought it might have been chain slip or something to do with the derailleur maybe needing an adjustment. I took it to my LBS and they adjusted the derailleur and took a look and the did acknowledge the knocking but were unable to diagnose it. Is anybody else experience the same thing? I took a short video of it and will try to upload it.
iv had my E+1 for 3 weeks now and havnt heard any noises from the pedals i would get it checked under warrenty

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles