Article Polini E-P3+ motor review

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
We finally got our hands on the Polini E-P3+ emtb motor, rated at 75 Nm. There’s also a more powerful Polini E-P3+ MX. The specs of both motors are identical, except for the MX-version being rated at 90 Nm. Here are all the brands using Polini motors. We rode a Focarini Ultra.

polinimotor01.jpg
Polini E-P3+ specs

It’s easier expaning how a motor behaves, and what it sounds like when we use video images to illustrate. Watch our video for a more detalied review, or keep reading below for the shorter version.

Display and handlebar remote

Polini delivers a relatively big 2.5″ display that’s easy to read. It sits reasonably well protected behind the handlebars. Her we get things like speed, distance, watts pedaled by the rider and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Great review, thanks.

What mount is this motor? In other words which motors could it theoretically replace.

Of course I understand there are a one or two examples of theory not matching practice in this regard, but that’s my problem, not yours.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Great review, thanks.

What mount is this motor? In other words which motors could it theoretically replace.

Of course I understand there are a one or two examples of theory not matching practice in this regard, but that’s my problem, not yours.
Unfortunateli, we never remove the motors and study how they are mounted. So I really don't know what to say. It never struck me as being similar to any other mounts :/

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
An interesting and informative review.
Ref the comparison with the other motors; are you sure that you didn't have the 90Nm motor by mistake?
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind :) But we decided we probably got the correct motor. The MX motor has the letters "MX" written on it, the 75 Nm version says E-P3, like on ours. As can be seen here. POLINI E-P3+ MOTOR IS BORN - Polini Motori

We can't say for sure though. Who knows, perhaps they fitted the wrong stickers, or installed the wrong firmware, if that is possible...

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Or its just a firmware version which can be programmed into either motor, its rare these days to have different internals for different wattage motors from the same brand.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Something I've always thought that a new brand such as Polini would do, is to simply mimic say the mounts of the Bosch with an adaptor. I do know of at least one motor that was proposed as a base motor and then that bolted into several adaptors for different mounts.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Great review, thanks.

One guy in the comment section of the video claim Polini is using the same mount pattern as Shimano. I haven't verified this though.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind :) But we decided we probably got the correct motor. The MX motor has the letters "MX" written on it, the 75 Nm version says E-P3, like on ours. As can be seen here. POLINI E-P3+ MOTOR IS BORN - Polini Motori

We can't say for sure though. Who knows, perhaps they fitted the wrong stickers, or installed the wrong firmware, if that is possible...

Can not go under settings in the display and check the type of engine information if it is an E-P3 or mx. That should be true there.

Something I've always thought that a new brand such as Polini would do, is to simply mimic say the mounts of the Bosch with an adaptor. I do know of at least one motor that was proposed as a base motor and then that bolted into several adaptors for different mounts.

They have probably done like most engine manufacturers to create 2 profiles that you can switch between such as eu and usa settings on a shimano engine.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Or its just a firmware version which can be programmed into either motor, its rare these days to have different internals for different wattage motors from the same brand.
Yeah, we were wondering if the two motors were the same. I mean, they look identical and Polini list the same weight for both. "Could it be the 75 Nm motor is just a firmware upgrade away from becomin an MX?" That's what I initially wrote in the article, but I removed it. My local Polini contact claimed the MX had a bigger rotor, which would imply more copper. I find it a bit strange since they claim the same weight for both motors. Anyway, I decided to forget about it for now.

Word is the mount is the same as for Shimano. Just a claim for one guy.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Can not go under settings in the display and check the type of engine information if it is an E-P3 or mx. That should be true there.
I really don't think we got the wrong motor, even though the thought struck our minds. When connecting the app, the motor is listed as "E-P3 PLUS 12.f0.94". So it seems right, but I don't know what it says when connecting the MX, could be only the last digits are different... I have returned the bike, so there isn't much more I can check.

Edit: I had recorded the display info. Unfortunately it only shows the motor serial and the FW version: EP3+4.60

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles