Reign E+ 2022

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
I’ve been getting a few pedal strikes most rides, despite running in the high setting and trying to be careful with my pedalling. It’s not something I’ve suffered from in the past, even with my slack and low DH bike.
has anyone tried running shorter crank arms? I’m considering trying out some Hope ebike specific ones.
I am keen to chuck the bike into the low setting as I love the geometry, just can’t handle striking the pedals (or crank arm ends).

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
I’ve been getting a few pedal strikes most rides, despite running in the high setting and trying to be careful with my pedalling. It’s not something I’ve suffered from in the past, even with my slack and low DH bike.
has anyone tried running shorter crank arms? I’m considering trying out some Hope ebike specific ones.
I am keen to chuck the bike into the low setting as I love the geometry, just can’t handle striking the pedals (or crank arm ends).
I started off riding in the low setting and loved it but have now changed to the high for that very reason. To be honest I don't miss the slightly slacker geometry as the bike still feels very planted but now has the added benefit of a few less strikes and marginally sharper steering. As I'm riding more rocky tech than groomed park I'll leave it in high for the time being. I haven't felt the need for shorter cranks, I'd rather spend the money on tyres! I'm 175cm on a large and its awesome.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
@Buckaroony - this bike has been designed for E-Enduro Racing and the BB hight is by purpose and design. Maybe this is not the bike for your type of riding?

Lol thanks.
It’s exactly the bike for me, I was just considering running in the low setting with shorter cranks so I struck less rocks and roots.
Rather than hurling insults perhaps wind your neck in?

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland

What size are you riding? The S/M have 160mm cranks and the L/XL have 165mm cranks. I think the Hope's are 155mm so if you're riding a large or above then you'll get an extra 10mm clearance, the same as the difference between the high and low setting. Basically you can run low on 155mm and have the same clearance as running high on standard. I looked into it, but decided that since I have a medium, 5mm extra wasn't worth the outlay. Someone will probably tell me I'm talking shite, but it sounds like a worthwhile option to me if you are running a larger frame. The pedal strikes also do my head in, my only criticism of the bike.

mrandrewau

Jan 10, 2022
Canada

This is one of the most underrated posts in this thread. As most of us probably don't have a 3D printer or no how to work with one, Nobrks, would you consider doing a group print for some of us and we'll pay you for your time, material and shipping?

For reference, this replaces the top battery lock mechanism and shaves around 330g, and Nobrks has been using it for several weeks/months without issue.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
What size are you riding? The S/M have 160mm cranks and the L/XL have 165mm cranks. I think the Hope's are 155mm so if you're riding a large or above then you'll get an extra 10mm clearance, the same as the difference between the high and low setting. Basically you can run low on 155mm and have the same clearance as running high on standard. I looked into it, but decided that since I have a medium, 5mm extra wasn't worth the outlay. Someone will probably tell me I'm talking shite, but it sounds like a worthwhile option to me if you are running a larger frame. The pedal strikes also do my head in, my only criticism of the bike.

Yes I am a medium and would only gain 5mm from the Hope 155mm cranks, not sure that would be enough for the low setting. Perhaps that and a combination of increased shock pressure (less sag) would make it work?

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
This is one of the most underrated posts in this thread. As most of us probably don't have a 3D printer or no how to work with one, Nobrks, would you consider doing a group print for some of us and we'll pay you for your time, material and shipping?

For reference, this replaces the top battery lock mechanism and shaves around 330g, and Nobrks has been using it for several weeks/months without issue.

I have looked into using printing services (with more advanced 3D printers) that can provide more homologus material properties than I can produce.
My printer takes 40h to print one pcs.

I need 20 buyers to get below 100euro selling price.
(A single item can be ordered from printingservice for 150-200euro FDM printed)
BR

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
Does anyone know the size of the lower headset cup?

My headset has developed a knock and I want to sort it out before it causes damage.

Edit: it actually looks like the crown race is worn to the point where it wiggles on the lower bearing. Does anyone know what the part number for the headset / crown race is. This seems to be complicated by the fact that it's an oversized heatset and Giant doesn't publish this info.

Last edited:

mrandrewau

Jan 10, 2022
Canada
I have looked into using printing services (with more advanced 3D printers) that can provide more homologus material properties than I can produce.
My printer takes 40h to print one pcs.

I need 20 buyers to get below 100euro selling price.
(A single item can be ordered from printingservice for 150-200euro FDM printed)
BR

Ah I see, thank you. I had no idea it takes that long as I know nothing about 3d printing. Do you find that using more homologous material properties would provide more benefits, suggesting that a weaker piece would have some sort of negative impact on its function?

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Ah I see, thank you. I had no idea it takes that long as I know nothing about 3d printing. Do you find that using more homologous material properties would provide more benefits, suggesting that a weaker piece would have some sort of negative impact on its function?
Homogenius material is a benefit, that comes with using industrial 3D printer.
There are other options producing this, but I think we should take that discussion in Private message, or start a new thread focusing on this matter😁

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
anyone with high motor disconnect sound?

As soon i stop peddling I get a “whooooo” sound as the motor spins down.

the bike works fine but really annoying. Started on a ride today.

Last edited:

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
The transmission de-coupling whizz sound. Seems to wear off with time, or maybe my ears are used to it. Otherwise the motor is much quieter that most.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
The transmission de-coupling whizz sound. Seems to wear off with time, or maybe my ears are used to it. Otherwise the motor is much quieter that most.
Might be it’s less pronounced in snow. Today was the first real tour without snow on the ground. So had to be more active (stop pedling to avoid obstacle).

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
Yes I am a medium and would only gain 5mm from the Hope 155mm cranks, not sure that would be enough for the low setting. Perhaps that and a combination of increased shock pressure (less sag) would make it work?

i know a number of Reign owners are running higher pressure than suggested by Fox in order to increase the dynamic ride height. i am, and increased the compression settings (very close to factory suggestions) which makes the whole bike more lively. took me about 8 rides to dial it in, now i'm set and haven't changed it since, and i'm getting much less pedal strikes than in the first few rides.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
charging question for you guys: i've just downloaded the Ridecontrol app to my phone and notice that the bike is at 84% after about 8 hours of charging. does it ever get to 100% or is that hypothetical? if so, how much longer does it take to get that remaining 15%?

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
charging question for you guys: i've just downloaded the Ridecontrol app to my phone and notice that the bike is at 84% after about 8 hours of charging. does it ever get to 100% or is that hypothetical? if so, how much longer does it take to get that remaining 15%?
That.doesnt sound right. From 12% took 4 hours ish to get to 100%. Is the green light flashing on the charger or a solid red light?

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
First big ride on the reign e 1 yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised with the range. Had the bike about 2 weeks now and I'm beyond stoked about it. The spec out of the box is really solid and most of changes made were personal preference. Swapped out the bar and stem for a 40mm rise carbon bar and a 40mm stem. Swapped the saddle for my super comfy wtb Silverado. Thought the brakes were lacking out of the box but with the 223 galfer rotor's they feel decent. Gonna be a fun summer 🔥

Screenshot_2022-04-17-12-02-38-35_3bb53944894d9646ec5754b62cc2584b.jpg

IMG20220416104330.jpg

IMG20220416143015.jpg

IMG20220416160234.jpg

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
First big ride on the reign e 1 yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised with the range. Had the bike about 2 weeks now and I'm beyond stoked about it. The spec out of the box is really solid and most of changes made were personal preference. Swapped out the bar and stem for a 40mm rise carbon bar and a 40mm stem. Swapped the saddle for my super comfy wtb Silverado. Thought the brakes were lacking out of the box but with the 223 galfer rotor's they feel decent. Gonna be a fun summer 🔥

View attachment 86174

View attachment 86175

View attachment 86176

View attachment 86177
Very nice. I road my reign e+ on the world's end loop and degla close to your ride yesterday. Bike was amazing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles