Buy the 22 Rail 9 or wait for the 9.8XT?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Having ridden and tested both extensively, if I was spending my own cash, I'd likely get the "older" geometry as that's the biggest issue for me. I do like the longer range of the 720, there are some slight improvements in how it handles super high speed chunder, but the shorter reach numbers make the bike a lot more fun, snappy and easier to get off the ground. The new bike is sweet, I just think Trek may have gone the way of Norco and polarized the bike and alienated riders who don't want the "BC" ultra long treatment.
“BC” ?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Having ridden and tested both extensively, if I was spending my own cash, I'd likely get the "older" geometry as that's the biggest issue for me. I do like the longer range of the 720, there are some slight improvements in how it handles super high speed chunder, but the shorter reach numbers make the bike a lot more fun, snappy and easier to get off the ground. The new bike is sweet, I just think Trek may have gone the way of Norco and polarized the bike and alienated riders who don't want the "BC" ultra long treatment.
Do you think Medium might have been a better fit for you with this year's Treks?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hi all, still on the market for my first ebike. I'm pretty close to grabbing a 22 Rail 9 (only other bike I'm looking at is a 22 alloy comp levo). The biggest issue in New Zealand is stock availability. Ideally I wanted the 9.8 XT but they're not here till June / July. There is stock of the Rail 9 here right now. I'm really wondering if I should wait. Other than the carbon frame and new bosch gubbins is there a big difference? I've done a compare on the website but it doesn't talk geos etc. Was wondering if the flip chip things were on the standard Rail 9 also. Here's the specs Rail 9 | Trek Bikes (NZ)
Annnnnnnd? You must have decided by now. What one did you go for?

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
I think here in NZ with the pricing and availability making 2nd hand market super strong,, I'd dive in with a 9 and sell when the model you really want becomes available. Recenrly sold my wife's 2.5yo Powerfly 5 for what we paid for it in just 35mins.

BTTF

Jan 3, 2022
New Zealand
“You might not fit well on the new bike. There are big differences between sizes. I'm actually going to size down for my own bike that is on order”

hi Rob. I am curious about your decision to down size. I have an XT 9.8 on order, in XL. I am 191.5 cm tall (6ft 3 1/2”) but the reach and long wheel base have me a bit troubled. 517mm reach on the XL is 24mm longer than my current non-ebike. While I would certainly like some extra reach on my current bike, I am worried an extra 24mm might be a step too far. But the problem is the new size large rail is 6mm shorter than my existing bike. What a conundrum!!
How tall are you? I think I may have read somewhere you are 6ft 2” ???
Any sage advice??
Thanks
Andrew

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
I think here in NZ with the pricing and availability making 2nd hand market super strong,, I'd dive in with a 9 and sell when the model you really want becomes available. Recenrly sold my wife's 2.5yo Powerfly 5 for what we paid for it in just 35mins.

How much did you get for the Powerfly 5?
I have a LT9 of same age with a few mods, be interested to know what it's worth?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yeah the (small)2nd hand market is hot. If selling I think you can pretty easily get what you bought it for if it is a desired model. There was a Rail 7 like mine advertised for $6500NZ the other week. I paid $7K for mine 1 1/2 yrs ago & had I been quicker would have jumped on it for the wife as it was immaculate.
A lot of newbies seem to have a $5K limit to their spending which won't really get anything more than a commuter/ easy trail bike.

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
the shorter reach numbers make the bike a lot more fun, snappy and easier to get off the ground.
What he said... the whole long front reach thing was popularized by Yeti's race bikes and now every manufacturer is jumping on the "latest, greatest". It is better for climbing as your body is in a better position (I have an SB130) but that isn't really a problem when you have pedal assist with more standard type geometry which is spot on for the current Rail if you ask me. There is NO WAY I would get the newer version unless you were in-between sizes. Also everyone is unloading their existing Rails thinking they will be getting their '22 Rails in 6 months. I'm in the composites supply side so... good luck with your plan is all I'm going to say!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Scott from Aus

Dec 15, 2021
Aus
My step dad sold his 2017 Powerfly 5 for $3800 a couple of weeks ago, paid about $4700 for it new.
Sold my 2019 LT9 for $4500, could have got a fair bit more but sold it to a friend. I bought it as an ex hire bike mid 2020 and I believe they sold for $8100 New.
The 2nd hand market is great for well maintained bikes, they really hold their value.
I think you are spot on Doug, 5k is a good price point for people to enter the ebike game

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Hi all, still on the market for my first ebike. I'm pretty close to grabbing a 22 Rail 9 (only other bike I'm looking at is a 22 alloy comp levo). The biggest issue in New Zealand is stock availability. Ideally I wanted the 9.8 XT but they're not here till June / July. There is stock of the Rail 9 here right now. I'm really wondering if I should wait. Other than the carbon frame and new bosch gubbins is there a big difference? I've done a compare on the website but it doesn't talk geos etc. Was wondering if the flip chip things were on the standard Rail 9 also. Here's the specs Rail 9 | Trek Bikes (NZ)

View attachment 79583
A bird in the hand .......

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
Thanks for the great feedback buddy !
I completely get what your saying, for me personally the extra length is what I wanted and not to make more stable or anything like that but purley that on my older 21Rail i found at 6’1 (185 cm) the large felt so short in the reach and realy cramped i just never felt settled on it but in XL it was just huge so im hoping the new bike will be somewhere in between for me in large ….. I’ve recently sold my Santa Bullit as I didn’t like the Ep8 as much as the Bosh but size wise in large that rig was spot on for me so im hoping the new Rail will be comparable……🤞

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Still waiting for mine here in the UK.
Was told 22nd December

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I had a Bullit, I loved the chassis and handling but found the EP8 motor weak compared to the Bosch.
For me the ultimate bike would be a Bullit with a Bosch motor….that would be a kick ass bike.

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
I had a Bullit, I loved the chassis and handling but found the EP8 motor weak compared to the Bosch.
For me the ultimate bike would be a Bullit with a Bosch motor….that would be a kick ass bike.
100% agreed ! So difficult as it’s weighing up whats more important….. rig or motor….. the Bullit is so good to be fair it makes the ep8 bearable …

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles