Best car for 2 emtbs

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Quoting myself as I sit corrected, although I wouldn't do it with a dirty bike. Or a passenger; I had to move the seat so far forward even Warwick Davis would complain about the lack of leg room!
Yeah I try and use my tranny in the winter, I also have a rack for the yeti but i usually can’t be bothered putting it on😀

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
Even a Prius will fit two bikes with the front wheels removed so almost any hatchback with folding rear seats will work. I purposely bought a Chevy Traverse SUV in 2018 as it and the Subaru Outback were the only vehicles other than a van that had a large enough cargo space for two bikes with the front wheels left on to fit. The Subaru Outback with only 2 rows of passenger seating had more cargo space than much larger vehicles.

For taking my dogs places I always used a pickup truck with a fiberglass cap/shell mounted and with curtains to keep out the sunlight and not have the back of the truck, as with a SUV or estate vehicle, become a greenhouse on wheels, and cook the dogs. The pickup with a 2 meter long bed fit the bikes easily. Any dirt or sand from the bikes or the dogs could be easily removed with a shop vacuum or even by hosing out the bed. I always have put a heavy duty and thick rubber bed mat in the bed of the truck which kept both dogs and bikes from sliding around. This setup also works well when transporting plants from a local nursery or bags of soil or cement and other such materials.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
In a Yeti, you can get an upright Trek Rail in with just the middle seat removed. Saddle down, back wheel in first, forks in a clamp just inside the tailgate.
How many tyre tracks in the headlining?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I am wondering why people want to put their bikes inside their cars? Out of sight, out of mind? Do you lock the bike to something inside the car? Thievies will be thieves. We also use bike racks so we can lock the bikes to them with Krytonite locks and chains if we plan to stop anywhere after a ride.

bike rack.JPG

NS Rack.jpg

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I am wondering why people want to put their bikes inside their cars? Out of sight, out of mind? Do you lock the bike to something inside the car? Thievies will be thieves. We also use bike racks so we can lock the bikes to them with Krytonite locks and chains if we plan to stop anywhere after a ride.

View attachment 80006

View attachment 80005
I would never use a roof or towbar mounted bike career unless I absolutely had to again. Bike theft is rife here in the U.K. and doesn’t show any signs of changing. We have had problems with people being followed home and all sorts.

I run a Mercedes E class estate at the moment, the boot is frankly ridiculous but the entry point is quite narrow. So whilst I could fit 2 ebikes in, and have easily. It’s not possible with wheels on. I’m keeping half an eye out on what to buy next st the moment. But will likely wait until the market stabilises somewhat first.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Pre 2008 Honda Accord Estate and now Skoda Superb estate. Front wheels and pedals off, two XL ebikes flat and one S analogue (wheels and pedals still on). Just pad with blankets / foam. Make sure superb doesn't have heated rear seats as the rear squab doesn't fold flat in them apparently. With the factory optional rear tint can't see a thing. Deadlock car, fit beefy chains and locks plus motion sensor alarms. Takes less than 5 minutes with 2 people.

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
peugeot partner here. More of a van than a car but great for bikes and dogs and has 3 seats in the front. Small size like a car makes it much nicer to drive than a transit or transporter type size.

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
Thinking of selling my Transit and going back to a car. While I like the Transit I won't be entering any events so no need for something large enough to sleep in.

Ideally looking for something which is long enough to take 2 bikes inside with front wheel off and a fork mount arrangement so need decent floor to roof height.

Couple of dealerships from different makes I have spoken to don't think any of their estate cars will be tall enough and Citroen Berlingo type of cars are stupid money at the moment imho.

I also have 2 large dogs so SUV type is out of the question as they are too heavy to lift into the back.

Are any of you carrying the bikes inside their cars and if so what makes and models work with a fork mount on the floor rather than the bike flat on its side. I admit to being too lazy to take rear wheel of as well especially for driving to trails about 30 mins away.

Thanks in advance
I was looking for a Belingo/Partner last year, couldn't find one, but now have a Partner WAV. You can ride straight into the back (almost) and 2 bike with wheels on are possible with the third seat in.

Yorky u7

Aug 31, 2021
Uk
Vauxhall Combo Life xl. Trek Rail goes in with rear seats down with wheels on, rear in first but just have to lean it so bars go under roof lining then stands upright. Can get my wife’s Focus 29r in at side of it with both wheels on and room for another I reckon. Front bike wheels turned at an angle once inside. Could probably have single split rear seat in back upright still. Not a van so cheap insurance although in reality it is same car as a berlingo/partner/rifter Tailgate good for shelter and picnics😀

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I would never use a roof or towbar mounted bike career unless I absolutely had to again. Bike theft is rife here in the U.K. and doesn’t show any signs of changing. We have had problems with people being followed home and all sorts.

I run a Mercedes E class estate at the moment, the boot is frankly ridiculous but the entry point is quite narrow. So whilst I could fit 2 ebikes in, and have easily. It’s not possible with wheels on. I’m keeping half an eye out on what to buy next st the moment. But will likely wait until the market stabilises somewhat first.

Same here. We lock our bikes up with at least 3 Krytonite locks when we lock them to the bike rack and make it difficult to get at the locks with bolt cutters but anyone with a portable grinder can be done in less than 5 minutes. If we take the Tacoma, we can lock the bike together and to a mount inside the truck bed. I have seem too many cars broken into so we never leave anything in a car of value which is why I asked if you locked them inside the car. We also lock them up at home. Insurance is available but expensive! Squamish has had so many bikes get stolen every week right out of people's garages and off balconies! It better to keep them in the living room but mom said no. We keep one in the bedroom (hers) and one in the "dining" room.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles