All New 2022 Trek Rail with SRAM Airwiz - First Look

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Trek just dropped the all new Rail. New geometry, new Bosch Smart with 750wh battery and the model I have has some awesome new suspension tech from @srammtb - AirWiz, that wirelessly sends air pressures to your phone, along with TyreWiz for tyre air pressures, all seamlessly linked into the SRAM AXS app. Neat!

I already picked up the bike and have a first look on my channel now

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I do like how Trek have evolved the Rail, its not the most "exciting" bike and Trek dont go in for crazy marketing like YT and Specilized, but I do think they really think about what works and what doesn't, especially with a longer term view to day to day living wit the bike.

The tech sound interesting - it reminds me of the Greyp bike, not because they are alike, but because Greyp have thrown every bit of tech they could think of at a bike and 99.9% of it is stuff you dont want, whereas this has had a lot of tech thrown at it, but its probably stuff you would actually appreciate. Two different approaches, and I know which one I like!

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Bike looks great. I’m 50/50 on the tech, it’s cool, but really needed? And something else to go wrong??

I am disappointed about the side loading battery tho. I don’t thinks it’s a great design and messes with the lines of the bike.

They didn’t even carry the black through the battery cover like they do on the other side.

Non ocd type of bloke, but that just looks shite imo

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The bike looks cool and the specs suggest that it will be a good ride. The 750wh battery should be a major selling point when comparing two bikes that are otherwise similar. 👍🏼

I'm skeptical about the giant multi-function controller hanging way out there on the bars. My first thought is that my thumb has enough to do with my existing +, -, and dropper controls. My other thought is regarding the vulnerable location. The top/outside of the bars is pretty vulnerable when the bike hits the ground upside down. Need further reports on the controller. 🤔

Nice description of the Airwiz. I was intrigued at first, but after watching the video I've decided that I'd rather NOT have it on my bike. It's just an air pressure gauge. I don't think I would benefit from an electronic, wifi contraption that requires me to get out my phone. Added complexity is not necessarily a good thing, and I don't want superfluous junk on my bike.

All that aside, I think this bike is going to a strong contender among top-tier eMTB's.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Bike looks great. I’m 50/50 on the tech, it’s cool, but really needed? And something else to go wrong??

I am disappointed about the side loading battery tho. I don’t thinks it’s a great design and messes with the lines of the bike.

They didn’t even carry the black through the battery cover like they do on the other side.

Non ocd type of bloke, but that just looks shite imo
Now you have pointed that out I cannot unsee it and you are right, seems a pretty big oversight from someone! Older models has two tone covers IIRC

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I still think the new controllers are not in any way shape or form any sort of improvement. The Bosch controls put me off ever buying a bike with the system, I know that sounds ridiculous but when you are dropping serious cash on a bike and there's something resembling an Atari controller on the bars, I 'm out.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Now you have pointed that out I cannot unsee it and you are right, seems a pretty big oversight from someone! Older models has two tone covers IIRC

I kept looking at it and couldn’t work out what was going on.

Once it dropped its exactly that. Can’t be unseen 😆

What was they thinking. It just draws attention to it.

I could get over the side loading battery, but was hoping for fully intergrated like the cube which also had the weight saving.

Hey ho

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I don’t really care for the largely pointless tech, but the actual frame changes sound to pretty much cover my issues with the old Rail (between sizes).

If only Bosch could improve their integration, they would clean up.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Looks like the small sticks with 625wh due to not be able to integrate the 750

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
"Mullet Ready" eh? Can you compare the rocker on the new bike to your Rail 5? Is that the only adjustment or can you shorten the chainstays too?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The WiFi air pressure gauge is rubbish and pointless, but the bike itself looks good. I guess you'd go for a lower spec model without all the tech trinkets.

How heavy is it?

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
I personally think Trek have dropped a clanger with this. The new bike looks great and the geo changes and system updates are good. To leave the rest of the range alone seems odd. Especially the lack of geometry updates. I would understand the most expensive bikes in the range getting the bigger battery and all the electronic shock bits but to leave half the range with essentially old spec doesn't make sense.

I have a preorder in place for a 22 rail 9 that will probably be getting canceled now...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a preorder in place for a 22 rail 9 that will probably be getting canceled now...
To be replaced with what? If it was good enough before, surely it's good enough now?

The new hardware has driven the geo changes, if the lower models aren't getting the bigger battery there's no benefit to making the bike heavier.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
The new '22 9.8 and 9.9 look to have nice upgrades. But, who is the friggin lunatic at Trek picking the colors of these bikes? I love Trek bikes (I have a 2020 9.7), but the colors the past 2 years are a friggin joke. 2020 was the best year BY FAR for good looking paint jobs. Thank god they dumped that purple faze garbage at least. The red for 22 is the only one that is even remotely decent looking.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
So, excluding the one that makes it go, how many batteries on this thing?

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
To be replaced with what? If it was good enough before, surely it's good enough now?

The new hardware has driven the geo changes, if the lower models aren't getting the bigger battery there's no benefit to making the bike heavier.

I'll just keep what I've got now and wait for the trickle down effect to happen to the rest of the range and not buy a bike in a years time with tech that they will probably phase out of new bikes soon.

Don't get me wrong, if I owned a Rail now I'm sure I would love it and be happy with it and would be keeping it. Also if I purchased my preorder my feelings would probably be the same, but personally I don't like the idea of dropping £6.5k on an old new bike.

I'm sure Trek could update the geo on the lower range models and stick a 625 battery in there in the same space as the new one (keeping the weight down), whilst giving the option to buy the 750 one if required.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm sure Trek could update the geo on the lower range models and stick a 625 battery in there in the same space as the new one (keeping the weight down), whilst giving the option to buy the 750 one if required.
The 625 and 750 batteries are not compatible; the power connection and locking mechanism are different.

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
The 625 and 750 batteries are not compatible; the power connection and locking mechanism are different.
That'll be why they're not doing that then 😂.

Again it's just my personal opinion. I'll just wait a bit until they decide to develop a smaller battery and give the new updates to the rest of us.

Its either that or I just buy the 9 as planned...

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
@Rob Rides EMTB could you please post a pict of your old and new Rails, next to one another, to be able to see the battery position in both case (in order to compare battery placement, to see if it's higher or not on the new version).
Thanks

@Rob Rides EMTB : second question, is (your beloved;)) battery keylock system still integrated in the frame (like previous years), or is it part of the battery like stated in articles about the new 2022 bosh system ?
I ride with a second 625Wh battery in my backpack. I wonder what is the size and weight of the new one.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB any chance you can do this please?
Its just the mino link that you can change. Looking at the geometry chart it shortens the CS a little when you put it into the High position and run the 27.5" rear:

Chainstay Length - Mino Low - 160 Zeb: 448.0mm
Chainstay Length - Mino High - 160 Zeb: 446.7mm

When I've got both bikes out ill see if there's any visible differences or if they are just running the same kit from last year.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
That'll be why they're not doing that then 😂.

Again it's just my personal opinion. I'll just wait a bit until they decide to develop a smaller battery and give the new updates to the rest of us.

Its either that or I just buy the 9 as planned...

Just get the 9 that you've pre-ordered and stop getting sucked in by all the sales/publicity b.s., unless you really would like a longer reach. (My medium Rail feels considerably shorter than my medium Jam2 and medium Spectral On 6 despite what the specs say).

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Quick ride today. Bike feels really long. Well, it is long: 517mm reach / 1314mm wheelbase with Mino link in Low. Need to play around with a few bits to get it feeling good. But classic Rail feel, in a very good way. Rides great.. Stable, fast. Punchy.

Bike Stats:

Weight: 23.4 KG
Size: XL
Motor: Bosch Smart
Battery: 750Wh

Bosch motor feels the same (very good) and sounds the same. Still the Bosch 'clunk' over rough stuff. New controller. Hmmm. It looks and feels kinda cheap. There's not enough 'click' when you change modes. Feels a but mushy with gloves on. Bosch could have done a much better job with this. They need some better industrial design. I'm a bit disappointed with it overall, for a £12.5k bike (that frame / finish looks so good) I think the new remote really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Display is pretty impressive. Very very bright, super smooth and looks premium.

App is OK, easy to change the assist settings, but only on Turbo and Eco. Tour+ and EMTB are still fixed. It auto starts recording your rides and pauses when you stop. But at the moment at the end of the ride it just sits on the Bosch app, can't export to Strava, even by sending the GPS to a computer Strava rejects it as there's no timestamps in the GPX. No calorie or workout data, just some basic stuff recorded (distance/ speed / cadence etc). Hopefully Bosch can fix this and at least allow a link to Strava.

Also, I accidentally turned the bike off a couple of times, the lightest press on the 'on / off' button will turn it the bike off. Most bikes require a press for a couple of seconds to cycle the power. Not this one, a fraction of a second will turn it on or off. Again, hopefully Bosch can fix this.

Battery life I think will be seriously impressive with this, especially now Trek are using Tour+ mode.

IMG_0752_jpg.jpg

IMG_0754_jpg.jpg
TK21_POP_Rail_Hero_cockpit2.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles