2022 Rocky Mountain new Altitude Powerplay

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
So has anyone seen the new models? Is it a totall redesign or just a tweak of the existing design?
Lol. I have first rights of refusal on one, and don't even know the model yet 😬. It will be shiny and new, full suspension, and have a motor. Those are my specs for now.

I've also ordered a Trance X e+ pro 0 Advanced, and a genie. I'm gonna ride 'em all, and keep my favorite.

Last edited:

kimochi

Feb 16, 2021
California
this thread had me hyped up. called few local dealers today - no dice :/ some even say they will not carry rm anymore as they just can't get any bikes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No weight info in @knut7's article, but from the other one from @StuE :

The Altitude Powerplay, which rolls on 29” wheels and relies on 170 mm travel at the front and 160 mm at the rear : € 8,800 and 24.5 kg Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay C70 (Size L) - with double down tyres and cushcore as standard.

Also looks like it might be an idea to take your drive side cover off for a maintenance clean once in a while if you ride in longer grass/brush to clear the crap which might collect around the two extra pulleys.

1635409626398.png

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

The Altitude Powerplay, which rolls on 29” wheels and relies on 170 mm travel at the front and 160 mm at the rear : € 8,800 and 24.5 kg Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay C70 (Size L) - with double down tyres and cushcore as standard.

Also looks like it might be an idea to take your drive side cover off for a maintenance clean once in a while if you ride in longer grass/brush to clear the crap which might collect around the two extra pulleys.

View attachment 74696
Not a confidence inspiring picture for typical British riding conditions!

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Alloy chainstays even on the C90 … what kind of joke is that? Only for that reason im not going to repeat. 10k and its not even full carbon … thats shameful no way men, no f way

ecavalino

Mar 27, 2021
CA USA
RM Powerplay website on new Powerplay .. US website .... Now, how to i get one?

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
"The drive unit responds to the slightest touch of the pedal and the motor kicks in just as abruptly when you spin the cranks as it cuts off the support as soon as you stop applying pressure on the pedals. The Dyname 4.0 motor has virtually no hysteresis, which makes it feel completely different from all other motors currently available on the market. The main goal behind the Dyname 4.0 system was to create a motor that emulates the characteristics of a mountain bike that only pushes together with the rider. In practice, however, the power delivery doesn’t feel as natural. On technical climbs, you’ll have to time your pedal strokes and choose your line carefully if you want to use the power of the motor to clear obstacles. On slippery terrain, it’s hard to transfer the huge amount of power of the motor to the trail and prevent the rear wheel from spinning out of control."

After reading this I'd be a little hesitant to buy one without a test ride first. Maybe there are some motor settings that can be adjusted to mitigate this.

I think the bike looks good though. Adjustable chainstay length is a nice touch. Wish the STA was a couple degrees steeper.

Edit: But then there's this from NSMB...

"I also notice a difference in terms of power delivery compared to the Shimano EP8. When I put the power down on the Altitude PP, the increase in power is instantly felt and it feels more noticeably proportional to my input than others as well. At times it feels like it requires less effort to go faster because of immediacy and what I would describe as the progressiveness of the power delivery. Other motors feel as though they have a more linear power delivery in comparison, which to me feels less effective and satisfying at the pedals."

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Alloy chainstays even on the C90 … what kind of joke is that? Only for that reason im not going to repeat. 10k and its not even full carbon … thats shameful no way men, no f way

That statement has about the same relationship with reality and facts as a hardcore Trump supporter (and was equally theatrical ):
IMG_1379.jpg

Goes for both Altitude and Instinct Powerplay C90.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
That statement has about the same relationship with reality and facts as a hardcore Trump supporter (and was equally theatrical ): View attachment 74716
Goes for both Altitude and Instinct Powerplay C90.

Hey you what about the C70 and C50? Or should they call it HC (half carbon) maybe? Trump supporter and RM owner by the way.

Now go and take your jab dude, or the nazis will rise again and climate change is going to get worst!

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
You should definitely try to ride one as they are a bit different. Rode a demo version of the 2021 bike and it wasn't my cup of tea. Motor is nice and I like the power delivery on technical sections. It did sound a bit like a coffee grinder or pepper mill, but sounds like they improved that. On big easy climbs I prefer the other style motors for their assistance without the need for torque. Overall the integration and fit and finish left a lot to be desired. The seattube wasn't sized right and needed to be over tightened to not have the seatpost rotate easily. The charger felt like a hobbiest RC car charger not something for a 7k bike. The iwoc remote was poor compared to specialized and giant. This one better be a BIG step up. Hard to justify the price they were asking for the outgoing model IMO.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Hey you what about the C70 and C50? Or should they call it HC (half carbon) maybe? Trump supporter and RM owner by the way.

Now go and take your jab dude, or the nazis will rise again and climate change is going to get worst!

That would explain the jumping to the wrong conclusions and the moving target That was to stay in character and keep joking I have absolutely no horse in that race. And quite seriously, [mention]Eddy Current [/mention], I am genuinely sorry to debase the thread and litter the community of this forum (especially in our new small RM part of it!) with polarizing comments about politics, although meant tongue-in-cheek.

I had just shut down someone with a hidden but obvious agenda behind their unsolicited and unqualified public comments (another unrelated place), and am sorry I brought that state of mind into this, my favorite thread at the moment.

I actually highly appreciate reading, chatting and discussing bikes, emtb and RM with you, Eddy. And hope our community will continue focusing on what brings us together and our mutual interest.

Accept my apologies. All of you actually.

___

On topic, I have the top 2021 Instinct Powerplay C90 BC Edition and it also has an alloy triangle to my Trek Rail 9.9 XTR riding buddy’s great joy But I defend it with RM not putting carbon components everywhere just because they can or “should for the top model”, like how the rims are (light) alloy too, from enduro team experience. Also it fits me because I’m old school (slow) and (falsely?) thinking Carbon fibre is actually brittle and constantly afraid to damage it.

I preordered the 2022 Altitude Powerplay C90 Rally Edt early this summer and am looking forward to see if I feel any difference with the carbon rear triangle on a 23+kg bike (also coil shock for the first time!). Maybe too many differences this year to be able to isolate any single effect?

Anyway, like you, I’m happy there’s a full carbon frame option too next year, for comparison to the top models of the competition.

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
You should definitely try to ride one as they are a bit different. Rode a demo version of the 2021 bike and it wasn't my cup of tea. Motor is nice and I like the power delivery on technical sections. It did sound a bit like a coffee grinder or pepper mill, but sounds like they improved that. On big easy climbs I prefer the other style motors for their assistance without the need for torque. Overall the integration and fit and finish left a lot to be desired. The seattube wasn't sized right and needed to be over tightened to not have the seatpost rotate easily. The charger felt like a hobbiest RC car charger not something for a 7k bike. The iwoc remote was poor compared to specialized and giant. This one better be a BIG step up. Hard to justify the price they were asking for the outgoing model IMO.

Yes, it’s different but I personally highly favor the Powerplay feeling, in front of experience with Brose 2.1 and then Bosch gen 4.

(Also you could adjust it mechanically with standards bike parts like Eddy has shown, and for 2022 also adjust torque “boost” level on the display).

Like I said in another thread about the feeling:
I think it only "takes a bit of getting used to" if you're coming from one of the other emtb motors, which all have integrated cranks, "keeps the motor on" and default to rotational input as well as pedal pressure. If you are new to emtb and coming from traditional mtb I think it would be much easier to get up to speed in technical terrain and feel more natural with a RM Powerplay (this actually also goes for the geometry as of 2021). I came from Brose S Mag and the Dyname feels more like I'm Lance Armstrong on cocktails than getting a motor push (as with the Brose and Bosch CX gen 4).

The “noise” thing I don’t get. There’s a slider (not for 2022 though) and a pulley which you may make out the sound of in certain circumstances and depending on service level, but there’s absolutely no motor noise as opposed to the competition. Also it’s not overly strange or unique, there have been lots of mtbs with different pivot points and pulleys, with their benefits and disadvantages, before.

I *will* say I absolutely hate the half-assed third-party electronic control system (and apps!), other than the Dyname motor itself, of my 2021 top model Powerplay though. It was past time for a new Powerplay generation.

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ

View attachment 74696
Same on the existing models. Although in over two years of riding in all conditions I've only needed to remove the cover twice on the trail to clean out mud and sticks from the torque arm-it's really no hardship. The new design with the chainstay pivot situated above the chain ring looks less likely to funnel crud into the workings though. If it's muddy I usually clean the front of my chainstay a few times with a trail-side stick to help keep the slider clear. Again, no hardship and worth it for the performance and ride characteristics imo.[/QUOTE]

B Rabbit

Aug 28, 2021
Australia
So the question is, the Altitude Powerplay or the Range VLT? I've got my name down for the range, but liking the adjustability, motor and short rear end more on the Powerplay. But in Australia the spec for the money is much better with the Norco ($12400 for the VLT DHX2 and Factory 38 and $15990 for the Powerplay with the same setup).
I'm tempted to go lower spec alloy Powerplay and just upgrade it as I go.
Decisions decisions....

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
When I asked what the weight difference of the alloy and carbon frames is here was their response -

"I don't have that information just yet as I'm still waiting on production to get us official values. I've asked for them as soon as they arrive. I have been told that the weight savings from one frame to the other might also be offset somewhat by the higher end spec found on the carbon models. This means that while the frames are close in weight the end result can be a massive difference just from the spec."

I've reserved the bottom tier alloy model at my local bike shop with the idea of changing all the parts out. I'm currently on a bike with the EP8. The power and range is a little underwhelming but it does have a nice natural feel to it. The rattle for whatever reason is barely audible to me, but I feel like this varies bike-to-bike and person-to-person.

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland
Would anyone have a comment on the following for the 2022 new Powerplay models:
- There is no more bluetooth due to the new "Jumbotron" display. Thus no mobile app either ?
- There is no light power output on these motors/bikes at all ?

Jerma.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
- There is no more bluetooth due to the new "Jumbotron" display. Thus no mobile app either ?

Jerma.

What?! No?? I’m all for simplifying but these would be huge regressions, especially for an update to a system after 5 years.

I would honestly have thought rider power input were now properly measured and could be passed on to an app (and then Garmin/Strava). Which other emtbs do, and is the only way to show analog guys I’m actually exercising on my emtb.

Also, up to the 2021 model you could get Powerplay assistance based on your HR level. Things like that isn’t possible without a Bluetooth connection. An ANT+ connection only could work for the above, but if the Jumbotron is without more advanced connections to an app: they’re still not going to provide firmware updates OTA via app like every other EV and household appliance?!

This can’t be right?

It would also hamper possible future development of the Jumbotron software, like including (rudimentary) navigation symbols and data via the Komoot app which many emtbs do now and is low hanging fruit to get more “features”.

Last edited:

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland
What?! No?? I’m all for simplifying but these would be huge regressions, especially for an update to a system after 5 years.

I would honestly have thought rider power input were now properly measured and could be passed on to an app (and then Garmin/Strava). Which other emtbs do, and is the only way to show analog guys I’m actually exercising on my emtb.

Also, up to the 2021 model you could get Powerplay assistance based on your HR level. Things like that isn’t possible without a Bluetooth connection. An ANT+ connection only could work for the above, but if the Jumbotron is without more advanced connections to an app: they’re still not going to provide firmware updates OTA via app like every other EV and household appliance?!

This can’t be right?

It would also hamper possible future development of the Jumbotron software, like including (rudimentary) navigation symbols and data via the Komoot app which many emtbs do now and is low hanging fruit to get more “features”.

I am posting based on rumours only, so please if anyone can confirm these are only rumours and in fact the new Dyname 4.0 _has_ Bluetooth connectivity for apps and even a light output.

Jerma.

Suiso

Oct 11, 2021
Castellon
Well, I prefer an ebike as close to a traditional one. In these there is neither software nor so much info and you don't need so much data to do what matters most, get off well, hard or have fun.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
If you were gonna preorder would you do Altitude Carbon or the new Trek Rail with Bosch 750? I like the extra travel on the RM. Who has experience with these RM ebikes, are they as powerful as the 108 nm figure would suggest?

I cant find any comparisons of the dyname vs bosch vs brose anywhere? I saw one video of dyname vs e8000 and they said dyname was way better

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
If you were gonna preorder would you do Altitude Carbon or the new Trek Rail with Bosch 750? I like the extra travel on the RM. Who has experience with these RM ebikes, are they as powerful as the 108 nm figure would suggest?

I cant find any comparisons of the dyname vs bosch vs brose anywhere? I saw one video of dyname vs e8000 and they said dyname was way better

I’ve owned a Levo Comp with a Brose 2.1, have ridden somewhat on a 2021 Rail 9.9 with Bosch CX gen 4, and have a 2021 top spec Instinct Powerplay as well as a preorder on the 2022 Altitude Powerplay C90 Rally.

I much prefer the Dyname “feel”. I don’t know where the Nm are measured and whether the peak difference really is as much as it looks, but Dyname gives me a “gear change” more than mates on other bikes uphill. It equally does draw much more battery juice in that mode though.

But it’s the natural feel and instant reaction (and no afterburner/pedal kick!) on technical trails, ease of starting on an uphill, and no noise on flowy downhills that sold me on it. And normal serviceable crank. It’s what I consider closest to just having four times as big thighs. Others may prefer handling a more obvious “motor push” as in the competition though.

Last edited:

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland

Jerma.

Reply directly from from the manufacturer (some typos edited by me, removed the person details). Bad news I would say on both occasions.

The web site is: www.dyname.ca

The bluetooth is replaced by having all informations directly on the top tube display (=Jumbotron). SQR code will also be showed on the screen for diagnostic trouble shooting.

If demand is high enough; We will create an accessory DC-DC 48 volts to 12 Volts wire that could be connected to the charger port to provide powerful 12 volts output.

Best regards,
xxxx
Propulsion PowerCycle Inc.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Reply directly from from the manufacturer (some typos edited by me, removed the person details). Bad news I would say on both occasions.

The web site is: www.dyname.ca

The bluetooth is replaced by having all informations directly on the top tube display (=Jumbotron). SQR code will also be showed on the screen for diagnostic trouble shooting.

If demand is high enough; We will create an accessory DC-DC 48 volts to 12 Volts wire that could be connected to the charger port to provide powerful 12 volts output.

Best regards,
xxxx
Propulsion PowerCycle Inc.
Yep. That sucks..

Suiso

Oct 11, 2021
Castellon
I’ve owned a Levo Comp with a Brose 2.1, have ridden somewhat on a 2021 Rail 9.9 with Bosch CX gen 4, and have a 2021 top spec Instinct Powerplay as well as a preorder on the 2022 Altitude Powerplay C90 Rally.

I much prefer the Dyname “feel”. I don’t know where the Nm are measured and whether the peak difference really is as much as it looks, but Dyname gives me a “gear change” more than mates on other bikes uphill. It equally does draw much more battery juice in that mode though.

Pero es la sensación natural y la reacción instantánea (¡y no hay postcombustión / patada de pedal!) En los senderos técnicos, la facilidad para comenzar en una cuesta arriba y la ausencia de ruido en las bajadas fluidas lo que me convenció. Y manivela reparable normal. Es lo que considero más cercano a tener muslos cuatro veces más grandes. Sin embargo, otros pueden preferir manejar un "empujón motor" más obvio como en la competencia.
[/CITA]
¿Utiliza más batería? pero solo en modo turbo o todos? Entiendo que si ajustas los parámetros y usas los modos en relación a lo que requiere el terreno, el consumo es normal. ¿Qué autonomía se puede hacer más o menos? 60km y 1500 de altitud??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles