Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

Today my X2 in the S-Works is blown. After 2 months of riding trails and jumplines i could see black residuals on the shaft. Looks like the seals were running dry and grinded away. A few rides later the shock lost 50% of the air pressure suddenly.

I‘m now asking me if a warranty repaired shock will not have the same problem. Perhaps this is a design problem of the yoke-linkage which gives the shock extreme sideloads.

I‘m runnign with 210psi/2airvol spacers/80kg

Are there same issues with your X2 ?
If the compatible coil optins where cheaper i would swap to that, but i actually only see EXT and Push as robust yokelink compatible shocks

Best regards,

Chris

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Hi !

Today my X2 in the S-Works is blown. After 2 months of riding trails and jumplines i could see black residuals on the shaft. Looks like the seals were running dry and grinded away. A few rides later the shock lost 50% of the air pressure suddenly.

I‘m now asking me if a warranty repaired shock will not have the same problem. Perhaps this is a design problem of the yoke-linkage which gives the shock extreme sideloads.

I‘m runnign with 210psi/2airvol spacers/80kg

Are there same issues with your X2 ?
If the compatible coil optins where cheaper i would swap to that, but i actually only see EXT and Push as robust yokelink compatible shocks

Best regards,

Chris
My Fox X2 was recently replaced under warranty, It was losing about 50% air on each ride and lost all dampening. The replacement shock is running great so far! My bike also no longer has the knocking sound that I thought was coming from the motor.

PaulGribben

Aug 29, 2020
U.K.
nice and shiny again after a few days at bike park wales …….. this bike is perfect for U.K. trail centres ! I had 2 riders on Kenevo SLs in front of me going down VV at BPW and they had to stop a 3rd of the way down to let me past because this bike is a machine and on tight + windy trails it leaves the Kenevo for dust. So happy with the bike !

BE74DC3F-E2A3-473E-A64E-95F846467161.jpeg

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
So if I pull the dropper post cable outer out through the frame, will it leave a plastic sleeve in the frame? Same for rear mech.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
My Fox X2 was recently replaced under warranty, It was losing about 50% air on each ride and lost all dampening. The replacement shock is running great so far! My bike also no longer has the knocking sound that I thought was coming from the motor.
Interesting you say that. I have a knocking which sounds like the battery knocking over rough ground.

Are we thinking this is more likely to be the shock instead ?

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Interesting 🧐 my X2 also had a knocking, also detected im the stand when bending the rearwheel
sideways left/right it knocked from inside the damper.

I watcheded into my blown shock:

The inner airchamber sleeve was completely loosen in the connection to the eyelet. see the marking in the pic. I could rotate it by hand and it can bent a few degrees out of the axis. Normally this should be tightened to 20Nm. This could be the reason for the sealings gotten grinded down as seen in the black oil after only a few rides...

E5A6657F-C6CC-4630-808A-304E4616869B.jpeg

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
Anyone know where I can order this shock new for Gen 3 Levo with the correct tune code and specs? I am the USA.
2021 Series FLOAT X2
Part number: 979-63-010
Short ID: D9MP
Description: 2021, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Specialized, Levo F1, 210, 55, CL002, JCR010, Rezi CM, SBC S08 Dream Silver Satin/SBC W03 Metallic White, Neutral Logo, N/M

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I have installed SRAM AXS in my Gen 3. the plastic cable routing sleeves have lots of potential to rattle, I did manage to pull them out (dropper and rear mech) from the tcu opening.

Also, the star ratchet on the carbon rims is not 24 tooth as stated above. I didn't count it, but looks like 52 or 36. I will get around to counting the actual number of teeth later.

and do we know what frame size needs the additional battery spacer? (E in this picture)
2021-10-26_09-25-49.png

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
I have installed SRAM AXS in my Gen 3. the plastic cable routing sleeves have lots of potential to rattle, I did manage to pull them out (dropper and rear mech) from the tcu opening.

Also, the star ratchet on the carbon rims is not 24 tooth as stated above. I didn't count it, but looks like 52 or 36. I will get around to counting the actual number of teeth later.

and do we know what frame size needs the additional battery spacer? (E in this picture)
View attachment 74581

Is it that spacer that stops what sounds like the battery rattling over rough ground?

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
What rubber are you people using?

2.5 assegai and 2.4 magic mary looks absolutely anaemic on these things in real life. Hoping they bed in and get a little wider.

Wasn't that impressed with the butcher really I know Rob was gushing about them on YouTube but they lacked a little bite and are too wide to allow the bike to tip in as well as I'd like. Hated the eliminator. Mainly because it was a vague 2.6 again stopped the bike from being tipped into turns easily.

Had a 2.4 Big Betty out back for a month but was an oddly drift-y tire

Utterly Smitten with this bike though. Coming from a 2019 stumpjumper it's corrected everything that was wrong with my stumpy in terms of geometry, handling and sizing and build issues. Only complaint is the rear shock is a bit pants. Keep eyeing up the new 22 DHX (yes... warranty) but we shall see.

20211027_182710.jpg

20211002_142431.jpg

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
What rubber are you people using?

2.5 assegai and 2.4 magic mary looks absolutely anaemic on these things in real life. Hoping they bed in and get a little wider.

Wasn't that impressed with the butcher really I know Rob was gushing about them on YouTube but they lacked a little bite and are too wide to allow the bike to tip in as well as I'd like. Hated the eliminator. Mainly because it was a vague 2.6 again stopped the bike from being tipped into turns easily.

Had a 2.4 Big Betty out back for a month but was an oddly drift-y tire

Utterly Smitten with this bike though. Coming from a 2019 stumpjumper it's corrected everything that was wrong with my stumpy in terms of geometry, handling and sizing and build issues. Only complaint is the rear shock is a bit pants. Keep eyeing up the new 22 DHX (yes... warranty) but we shall see.

View attachment 74694

View attachment 74695

Interesting to hear you say about the standard tyres being a bit rubbish. That is how I feel about them too.

I find the there is a big gap in traction on the front tyre when leaning it over and the rear feels horrible and squirmy.

What are your issues with the rear shock out of interest?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I've put a 2.6 eddy current on the front and its like sh!t to a blanket on most trails.
I used a Big Betty as a rear tyre and would do so again if I could find one in stock!
I think a Magic Mary is also a great tyre. Never used one on the rear, but might give it a try.
I wouldn't go bigger than 2.6 on either end, it could all get a little vague.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
I've put a 2.6 eddy current on the front and its like sh!t to a blanket on most trails.
I used a Big Betty as a rear tyre and would do so again if I could find one in stock!
I think a Magic Mary is also a great tyre. Never used one on the rear, but might give it a try.
I wouldn't go bigger than 2.6 on either end, it could all get a little vague.

How does the 2.6 Eddy measure up? I did consider one actually, just thought it might be no good come dry hard pack.

I have a 29er Magic Mary 2.4 Ultrasoft on order due November.

Interesting to hear you say about the standard tyres being a bit rubbish. That is how I feel about them too.

I find the there is a big gap in traction on the front tyre when leaning it over and the rear feels horrible and squirmy.

What are your issues with the rear shock out of interest?

Same issue I found, I couldn't trust the Butcher.

Rear shock is disappointing, why would they put a half-featured X2 on there? I have spent quite a bit of time messing with the limited settings available and cant quite get it where I want. Still messing with it. Its either poppy and becomes harsh or supple and has no pop.

Odd noise when you cycle the shock through its travel, almost like there's a load of stiction caused by too much low speed compression, even though mines turned off.

Its not a bad shock, I'd just sooner have paid a bit more to get a fully adjustable X2.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I think so, been using one on the front for the last 12 months through all conditions and not had any concerns with grip or cornering. but I am only a weekend warrior, so couldnt really get into the extreme limit capabilities of the tyre.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

After my X2 was blown and another X2 has the same sideplay feelable on the air seal when flexing the backwheel i tried a Super deluxe. First ride was promising, little bit less small bump plushness. but i will retune from
low reb/comp to Med tunes and update with the Megneg Aircan. The damper seems to be mechanically much more stable without any visible bushing play atside loads compared to the X2.
I hope to reach the same damping performance as the X2 with a better robustness. This shock costs half the price of X2 and reduces weight by 250gr.
--> I will report after the first rides with the Megeneg Can and Med tune with my experience...

Here my robust economy build. 21.2Kg w/500Wh battery w/o Pedals:
6392E563-E907-4F6D-B62F-2DC9EBEF855A.jpeg

ED1E5C92-0BF5-47B5-9D87-C4FBFC24AC43.jpeg

Last edited:

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
I think so, been using one on the front for the last 12 months through all conditions and not had any concerns with grip or cornering. but I am only a weekend warrior, so couldnt really get into the extreme limit capabilities of the tyre.
Is the eddy current draggy or not really?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’ve always used it on an ebike so I have no real comparison to other tyres.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
After my X2 was blown and another X2 has the same sideplay feelable on the air seal when flexing the backwheel i tried a Super deluxe. First ride was promising, little bit less small bump plushness.

The Factory & Performance Elite versions of the ‘21 Float X2‘S are really nice shocks, with a good range of adjustments. They really don’t like the side loading that Spec & other bike brands put them under though. They are almost built to a too high a tolerance so if there is ‘any’ misalignment, it causes premature failure. Usually in the form of the inner air can getting worn & they start to lose air dynamically.

I think it’s a shock that would really benefit from spherical eyelet bearings, to allow for some movement, either that or bike brands to up their QC so their bikes are actually properly straight, or ditch the whole clevis mount style linkage.

Rockshox air shocks as mostly full of plastic, so might be a bit more tolerant of side loading 😆

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles