Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
*Off Topic for the UK and on Topic in the USA (for snakes and beasts)

Well Vitus come from St Ettiene in France and 100 years ago they made La Belle Revolvers for the French Army, They did a 0.55" caliber (5 rounds revolver) as they wanted it to (their words not mine) to stop a charging Zulu. Would be worth testing one on a bear, if the chance arose?

So back on topic I would say Vitus is like Webley in the UK.....long history, So St.Etienne must be like Birmingham or Nottingham!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
WTF are you on about?
The CRC group bought the Vitus brand a few years back to become one of their inhouse brands. Much like they did with Nukeproof and others.
I owned one of Vitus' (the original frame builders) early lugged Alu road frames in the early 90s. (an 80s model). They started producing frames (Alu and Carbon) in the late 70s and their manufacturing was kind of ahead of its time in a lot of ways. I'm not aware of any link between vitus the frame builders and the state owned arms arms manufacturing company from the same town. Other than them being from the same town I mean.

This reminds me of the southerners I used to meet and when they heard my accent would ask if I knew Tam from Glasgow.

"We're a Jock Tamsons bairns"

Except we're totally not. it's just a metaphor :rolleyes:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Stripped down my E-Sentier today, and was pretty surprised to see how clean the underside of the frame mount is, this is after about 250 miles. Nice to see no hidden surprises in there

IMG_3346.jpg

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
So, what colour you going for?...........
I’m not a great fan of the dull colour scheme and was tempted to do the same....can’t wait to see yours when it’s finished!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
*Off Topic for the UK and on Topic in the USA (for snakes and beasts)

Well Vitus come from St Ettiene in France and 100 years ago they made La Belle Revolvers for the French Army, They did a 0.55" caliber (5 rounds revolver) as they wanted it to (their words not mine) to stop a charging Zulu. Would be worth testing one on a bear, if the chance arose?

So back on topic I would say Vitus is like Webley in the UK.....long history, So St.Etienne must be like Birmingham or Nottingham!
Are you Donald Trump’s speech writer? Alternative facts aplenty and a bizarre conclusion at the end; the similarities are striking...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Odd place to post your question when there are threads here discussing the THOK.
or are you after a straight comparison to the E-Sommet?

It has a Shimano motor, uses a 4 bar horst link suspension layout and comes in BLACK. For me all similarities end there. THe Mig-R at retail is £5k so over a grand more expensive than the ESommet VR with quite a bit lower spec. (infact the ESommet Deore at almost 2 grand less then the thok has better spec)
Geometry and travel wise the MIG is nothing like the Esommet. IMO If you're even considering buying this the Esommet may well not be the bike for your needs. The E-Sommet's geometry and travel puts it's intended use pretty firmly in the SuperEnduro E-Bike category. Basically meaning a longer travel Enduro race bike, not far off a mini DH bike in descending capability and somewhere between an Enduro race bike and a DH race bike in geometry and travel.

I think a lot of people are going to buy ESommets on sheer value for money basis rather than actually needing a bike quite so capable for the riding they do. It'll do mediocre trail riding fine but it's certainly not where the bike's geometry and suspension characteristics shine.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Odd place to post your question when there are threads here discussing the THOK.
or are you after a straight comparison to the E-Sommet?

It has a Shimano motor, uses a 4 bar horst link suspension layout and comes in BLACK. For me all similarities end there. THe Mig-R at retail is £5k so over a grand more expensive than the ESommet VR with quite a bit lower spec. (infact the ESommet Deore at almost 2 grand less then the thok has better spec)
Geometry and travel wise the MIG is nothing like the Esommet. IMO If you're even considering buying this the Esommet may well not be the bike for your needs. The E-Sommet's geometry and travel puts it's intended use pretty firmly in the SuperEnduro E-Bike category. Basically meaning a longer travel Enduro race bike, not far off a mini DH bike in descending capability and somewhere between an Enduro race bike and a DH race bike in geometry and travel.

I think a lot of people are going to buy ESommets on sheer value for money basis rather than actually needing a bike quite so capable for the riding they do. It'll do mediocre trail riding fine but it's certainly not where the bike's geometry and suspension characteristics shine.
Yes I was looking to compare only as there are others in this forum that are still in the decision making stage or not able to get the Esommet at all so maybe another option. But thanks for your response

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
This is why i wish they would do an EMTB version of the Escarpe, which won trail bike of the year from MBR last year, with 150mm travel and not quite as slack geometry i reckon they would clear up. The E-Sommett is an awesome bike, but as Gary says its a longer, long travel bike, i would describe it as a Kenevo rival that rides a lot nimbler.

Vitus Escarpe 29 VRX Mountain Bike (XT- 1x11) 2019 | Chain Reaction Cycles

View attachment 7394

Here’s a converted regular Sommet:

2018 Vitus Sommet vrs electric converted (medium) For Sale

Not an Escarpe, sorry.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
This is why i wish they would do an EMTB version of the Escarpe, which won trail bike of the year from MBR last year, with 150mm travel and not quite as slack geometry i reckon they would clear up. The E-Sommett is an awesome bike, but as Gary says its a longer, long travel bike, i would describe it as a Kenevo rival that rides a lot nimbler.

Vitus Escarpe 29 VRX Mountain Bike (XT- 1x11) 2019 | Chain Reaction Cycles

View attachment 7394
Yeah if the e-sommet had 150mm travel I would definitely buy it. As much as I love the look of the bike and quality components for the price I'm beginning to think it's too much bike for my style of trail riding. Like Gary says the Vitus is more of a super endurance bike whereas I'm more of a leisurely trail rider who likes to nail some sweet jumps from time to time ? and spend the rest of the time trying not to fall off. My shoulder injury prevents me from any type of enduro racing or going crazy on it. I still might buy the Vitus though just because it looks great and still fine for trail riding and I also prefer the Shimano motor. The Canyon, Commencal and the Vitus are all on my radar.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it actually jumps really nicely. the suspesnion curve gives a nice firm platform. Definitely size down if jumping is your preference over riding flat out over rough stuff though.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Yeah if the e-sommet had 150mm travel I would definitely buy it. As much as I love the look of the bike and quality components for the price I'm beginning to think it's too much bike for my style of trail riding. Like Gary says the Vitus is more of a super endurance bike whereas I'm more of a leisurely trail rider who likes to nail some sweet jumps from time to time ? and spend the rest of the time trying not to fall off. My shoulder injury prevents me from any type of enduro racing or going crazy on it. I still might buy the Vitus though just because it looks great and still fine for trail riding and I also prefer the Shimano motor. The Canyon, Commencal and the Vitus are all on my radar.
Same here, I love thrashing the forest but most of the time now I’m taking it easy on the green runs with the kids or bloody commuting to work on it. May not need something so extreme, but we’ll see ;)

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Hopefully a new spectral, one nice looking machine that is. I guess they have to come to the party as early as everyone else or they will end up with the munters :)

Got the current spectral on 7.0. Love it. Best bike I’ve owned for up and down the trails. Flys downhill. Sorry Vitus thread. Mate has got the Vitus hardtail. Also a cracking bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As ever with these bikes only a certain level of ride is going to notice the true difference in abilities on these bikes, and that level of rider is also the one who will be able to ride anything fast.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles